Rescind? Are my grades that bad?

<p>Ok so let me start with saying I was admitted to Wisc in late January, have found a roommate, payed my deposit, and all that good stuff. This semester has been rough for me. My grades have been slipping considerably (Im a 3.8 gpa student weighted 3.5 UW) as a product of senioritis, lots of absences, my job, and other various factors. Right now I have 4 academic classes 3 of which are AP. My projected final grades at the rate I'm going at would look like :</p>

<p>AP Statistics- C which is weighted to equal a 3
AP Environmental- B weighted to a 4
AP Psychology- Im on the verge of a C with an 80% right now. Lets say I get a B - 4
British Literature- A, not weighted 4</p>

<p>Thats a 3.75 weighted and 3.0 UW. I realize that these grades don't look terrible but considering the competitiveness of UW-madison this year specifically and the general decline of GPA from my normal am I at any risk of being rescinded? </p>

<p>Please avoid comments about my senioritis, thats my issue and I do realize its stupidity. Im working on it. And believe me I'm not trying to get the lowest grades possible. I still have my parents to be worried about if I do poorly.
Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>If you only have 4 academic classes and are getting such low grades for each of them, the school is going to know that you are not putting in enough effort. And they count UW not weighted. I don’t know anyone who has had their grades rescinded. But you should really pick up the slack. There are a lot of kids who were postponed and are working very hard to get spot in Madison. You wouldn’t want to risk anything</p>

<p>try hard, and take your grades seriously. But an A, 2 B’s, and a C while taking 3 AP classes should not result in any rescinded decision. In Illinois physical education is required, and many students take classes like art, music, etc. that result in fairly easy A’s. You don’t have a lot of classes, but your classes look to be very substantive.</p>

<p>I don’t work for admissions and have no inside knowledge, but I would be shocked if they rescinded a decision. Many seniors do not take that many AP classes. My d is not taking any AP classes in her final semester (but is taking a college level anatomy class). The point is you are taking on a significant number of quality classes, and I don’t see how getting a 3.0 for one semester with 3 AP’s could result in an admission decision change.</p>

<p>You still have a couple of months to study- do so. Forget about any weighting- UW will not use that. The UNWEIGHTED gpa matters. You will need good study habits in any college you attend- work on those now.</p>

<p>You should be fine if you end up with those grades. You REALLY have to mess up (e.g. actually fail classes) to have your admission rescinded. That being said, I’d probably work a bit harder just to be on the safe side.</p>

<p>When Universities state the average GPA of their admits on their websites we do not know if it is weighted or unweighted GPA. I think that many/most state the weighted GPA to show that they that they are selective, top notch and have very smart students in their freshman class. Thus if they have admitted you, you and your parents should feel good about you (as their child) and this fine University that they are about to pour a lot of money into. </p>

<p>If a Senior in High School during their 8th semester has 5 AP classes and because of senioritis received all C’s in these classes he/she will have a weighted GPA of 3.0. Now let’s assume in two (2) of these AP classes that tie closest to their admitted Major the student receives a B. The students GPA would be 3.4. Therefore this 3.4 GPA is probable not much of a drop off (in the scheme of things) from what you stated on your application for admittance.</p>

<p>If a student in High School during their 8th semester receives a C or God forbid a D in AP Statistics or AP Calculus and they are not a Science or Business major a University does not care and will not revoke an admission. The exception is very top Universities such as one of the University of California’s (UCs) 10 campuses then a D in any class will most likely cause you to have your admittance revoked.</p>

<p>I would do everything possible to obtain at least a C in all of your 8th semester High School classes! Go to teacher office hours, go early to class, hire tutors, do extra credit, retake tests if this is possible and start studying again (the studying part will reinforce what you will need to at college even with all of the distractions you will face there). Dropping a class is not an option. Most Universities would rather you receive a D in a class rather than dropping the class. I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Wrong assumptions. UW only uses unweighted grades. Some high schools don’t weight grades- even for AP classes. It doesn’t matter what the class is you need to do the work. It is assumed you can handle the work- and who knows, you could just as easily get the same grade in a regular version of the subject. That senior with only a 2.0 has a 2.0, no points for AP. btw- Honors courses at UW get an “H” added to the grade, but only if you get a B or better, therefore no H if you get a C. Likewise you negate the extra value of an AP course with poor grades- a reason for UW to not weight grades. The student with the B in a regular version probably knows more than the student in the more rigorous class who only got a C. There is all kinds of logic you can use to twist things.</p>

<p>I do not believe you actual believe Wis 75 what you wrote. You are just taking some noble position that is unrelated to reality. You sound like some parent or teacher whom is just trying to get kids out there to work harder like possible you did when you went to school. I am stating what does happen so that it is of value to students whom are concern about possible ending up with a D in an AP class. Students do not normally get their admittance revoke for a single D in an AP class in their senior year except in very select Universities such as the UCs as I stated. Even in those cases they sometimes allow a student to take the same course in a Junior College over the summer to raise the grade up and in order to keep their acceptance.</p>

<p>Which public high schools do you know that do not give a student a 3.0 GPA towards graduation in a semester for all Cs in an AP classes? </p>

<p>What evidence do you have that this statement is not correct; “When Universities state the average GPA of their admits on their websites we do not know if it is weighted or unweighted GPA.”</p>

<p>I also think you are really out of touch if you think a student whom received a D or C in an AP course would not have receive a higher grade in a non-honors class. You better go back to your local high school and check out the vast difference between an AP or honors class and a regular class.</p>

<p>Um?.. I go to a high-school in the state of Wisconsin where grades are not weighted. At my school, whether you get a C+ in a AP class or a special needs class, you get a C+ on your transcript and a C+ factored into your GPA (which is on a strictly 4.0 scale).</p>

<p>sukahjoy - UW-Madison admissions specifically states they only consider unweighted GPAs. (I’m currently a Junior at UW-Madison and know their admissions policies very well)</p>

<p>I now see what part of the confusion is. In California I know all high school use the weighted system. I just check Google and Michigan uses the weighted system as well. </p>

<p>Wiscobad22 in the original post for this thread had a weighted system.</p>

<p>“Many high schools in the United States have implemented a weighted GPA scale to encourage students to take honors and AP classes. The logic behind this is to have a more fair class rank–you have to take more difficult classes to rank highly in your classes.”</p>

<p>"Which public high schools do you know that do not give a student a 3.0 GPA towards graduation in a semester for all Cs in an AP classes? "</p>

<p>I guess one answer to the question I posed to you shown above is the entire State of Wisconsin.</p>

<p>^ Sukahjoy:</p>

<p>My high school gives a 3.0 GPA if I had all C’s in AP classes, and it’s Wisconsin school. Wis75 is saying that UW only cares about unweighted GPA, so a 4.5 weighted GPA is pointless.</p>

<p>Some school districts in Wisconsin weight grades, others do not. It can vary among districts in a given metropolitan area. I have a strong grasp of reality. It is tough when your school district gives only A, B, C… with no +/- while another gives extra points for honors and AP plus the qualifiers. In our district a C is a C, those AP classes would net a 2.0, no higher. That is why UW takes away grade weighting and recalculates the gpa. UW also considers the rigor of the HS classes taken compared to those available- a student who has only 2 AP classes available and takes them compared to a student whose HS offers 12 and takes only 4, for example.</p>

<p>Yes, I am a parent who had the fun and frustration of raising a gifted son and both of us are UW Honors grads. Some students don’t do the work and get lower grades than they could, this can happen in an easy or a challenging class. Others don’t learn the material and get the grade. Hence the comment on grades in AP or regular classes. I know what it is like to wish I had mastered material in a previous class- it is so much easier when you know more going into any class.</p>

<p>Here’s a true scenario. In recent years one student got a C in AP Chemistry his final senior semester, the month before took the AP exam and got a 5 (school started in September, done in June). A different student, in a different state, got A’s in his AP Chemistry but got a 3 on the AP exam (school start in early/mid August, done by the end of May). Which student knew more? Which student worked harder? Which student had the better teacher? Both had the same overall good score in a Midwest Talent Search test in 5th grade.</p>

<p>“A different student, in a different state, got A’s in his AP Chemistry but got a 3 on the AP exam (school start in early/mid August, done by the end of May). Which student knew more? Which student worked harder? Which student had the better teacher?”</p>

<p>Who gives a crap?</p>

<p>If you were the only one in a class of all blind students received an A+ in vision are you able to see better then a class of Owls and Rabbits??? I have sit thru many meetings with directors of admissions of some of the finest schools in the world. First they rate the school. In my children’s school they only use weighted grades. Honors .3, AP .6 . If you are in a B class then its -.3 . In the case of students applying to UW most students accepted to UW received B or lower in AP classes. The students that receive A or A+ normally go to much higher rated schools (MIT, Harvard Princeton …). Our school does not rank we had over 50 accepted to IVY league schools and that doesn’t include MIT Stanford… Taking AP classes with these top students lowers a very smart students unweighted GPA. I just had a long conversation with another parent whose daughter goes to a much lower ranked school in another town. The daughter had over a 3.9 GPA was ranked in the top 10 and has taken over 10 AP classes, she wouldn’t have been in the top 200 in our school, the reason her mother moved to that town was for her daughter to attend a top university. My neighbor’s kid went to that same school graduated valedictorian attended Harvard and is now a Doctor. My neighbors second wife at a recent party told us in front of her husband that if his son attended our school system the result would have been far different.</p>

<p>Justwaiting1: how sad I was to read your post. My children go to one of the top rated public high schools in CA in an affluent neighborhood. The pressure here is over the top for these kids pushed into so many AP classes with incredible rigor and competition. I know they are getting a wonderful education and will be completely ready for college level work. (heck, on top of that, this public has a 4 by 4 schedule where a year long AP course is completed in one semester!) Makes me wonder what’s the point as (due to UC budget cuts) so many are opting to attend college out of state where these hard working kids get no credit for their AP classes anyway. OR they could have taken all regular classes, earned a 4.0 and received a full ride from Institutions outside the state of California. Oh yeah, and enjoyed the ride of high school MUCH more. Hmmm. Beautiful weather out here but this argument make small town, low cost, USA anywhere else seem very attractive. Anyone else agree with me?</p>

<p>You don’t take honors/AP courses to boost your gpa- you take them to get the best education available. The extra work pays off in better preparation for rigporous college work.</p>

<p>re who cares…? As many as care about any of the other posts, including any of yours (was that a mature, adult college student response or a childish self centered one?). Life is full of interesting observations. btw- the Wisconsin kid had the better public HS education.</p>

<p>And which one is from Wisconsin?</p>

<p>The kid who got the 5. Gifted who didn’t always do the work. We have had good public education in this state to date. </p>

<p>To all from the state- please vote in the June 5th recall election!</p>