Rescinding scholarship/admission?

<p>thermals - first step is seeing a situation for what it is. You are bright, young and have a long time to learn. This isn’t going to be the last unpleasant teacher (boss, in-law) you are forced to deal with. I’m sure you will take this, learn from it and grow</p>

<p>MI-GA - thanks, I do too – but probably less than his mom does!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, that’s what happens when you value self-indulgence over maturity. You sure showed her, didn’t you?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Of course you failed it. Seniors in high school don’t need to be told that assignments will be graded on the quality of the content (i.e. “seriousness”). That’s the drill. Period. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Try telling an employer in a job interview that: 1) your mediocre performance in school really doesn’t reflect how good you are; 2) your bad grades are a function of intentionally tanking it because you didn’t like the way some of your teachers taught; 3) you’re fine with those bad grades; and 4) you’ll perform well on the job as long as the boss structures things the way you like it. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ya think?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>At your age, and with a scholarship hanging in the balance, you shouldn’t need anyone to get through to you. You should have figured out how the game is played by now. You should have also shown good faith to the folks who gave you a break on this scholarship by putting in an earnest and mature academic effort rather than amusing yourself and your ego.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You regret it because you got punished for inappropriate conduct? How about regretting it because you behaved inappropriately?</p>

<p>When the going gets tough (e.g. when you have a teacher who sucks), the tough get going. If you want to be a Presidential Scholar, then act like one.</p>

<p>I sincerely hope you learn from this and wish you all the success going forward.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There wasn’t any point in taking an SAT practice test. I’ve been done with those since last year. It wasn’t spiteful or anything.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There was a template we had to fit our experiences to. I made up things like work experience and references because I don’t have either. There was no chance I was going to leave these sections blank since it would throw the format off, which is ostensibly what I was being assessed on. I cited her as a reference and she wrote “Seriously??” on my paper. I have the feeling that you’re reading this like I’m some sort of malicious jokester or something.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Either I could plug words into her formulas or I could try to actually learn something. In a college class where the grades actually matter, I would use the formulas since the cost of improving my writing in that class wouldn’t outweigh the effects of getting a zero. Like I said, I have plenty of classes where I do stupid busywork for a grade. But if I get 45 minutes to either work on a skill or just plug and chug sentences, I will choose to develop the skill every time if I think that the grade doesn’t matter. </p>

<p>Just because I’m not willing to do the busywork for this one class doesn’t mean I’m not willing to do it anywhere else. A lot of my physics class for example consists of plugging things into formulas, but there isn’t really an alternative to the mindless work. In english, there is an alternative, and it’s becoming a better writer.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ve had a bunch of bad teachers. I figured that my grades in this class wouldn’t matter, so why put up with the work? Again, in college all the grades matter so I won’t have this attitude when I’m at bama.</p>

<p>OP- I’m not sure if someone in UA ever reads this forum. But just in case I’d be concerned because I am not sure how many presidential scholarships they give to kids who don’t actually make the GPA cut off. If you were my kid I would recommend that you seriously think about what you are posting because they may be able to figure out who you are. Especially since you are worried that they may recind the scholarship.</p>

<p>yes that’s why I said I wanted to let this die on the last page. I would appreciate it if we just stopped posting here</p>

<p>Perhaps the OP is a ■■■■■ who knows how to push the regular posters on here’s buttons?</p>

<p>if i was a ■■■■■ I wouldn’t be discouraging more posts</p>

<p>Malanai nailed it.
thermals…get over yourself.</p>

<p>I get it. I really do. please stop posting</p>

<p>*S is a freshman. UA put a hold on his account 2nd semester (fortunately 2 days AFTER he registered for classes). The hold read “FHTS”, which meant Final High School Transcript hold.
UA had not received his final high school transcripts-through senior year in high school.</p>

<p>Not sure why UA requested the records. Not a problem for S as his grades, including senior year were stellar. However this leads me to believe that UA looks at those final H/S grades, so seniors don’t slack off.*</p>

<p>UA wants those final transcripts to show that the student did in fact graduate.</p>

<p>Themals,</p>

<p>I post this because you remind me of myself at your age. Please do not take others words lightly. I too was (and still am) very logical and legalistic. If I was told that it would be graded on one criteria and another was used, I would be upset. It is best if you learn this lesson quickly-- life is far from fair. Your college professor will not give you the same lead way this teacher has given you. They will fail you out right - no discussion.</p>

<p>Do not be like me and go from honor student in High School to academic probation in college. I spent my sophomore through senior year trying to recover from my issues as a freshman. As a result my GPA was not high enough to get a free ride in Grad School although my GMAT was off the charts. My actions had far reaching consequences.</p>

<p>Sadly, I am watching my nephew do the exact same thing as you did. The same discussions about his high schools teachers - almost identical to your discussion. He too ended up failing a bunch of college classes with “irrational” professor. But in the end, he still failed. He is paying for it by not being admitted to his major. His current argument is English has nothing to do with engineering. </p>

<p>I guess I am trying to say - do your best at every task - not just what is expected. If she says she is grading on format. Give her the best format and content. That is what it will take to please future professors AND EMPLOYERS. Remember you disrespect yourself by turning in an inferior product.</p>

<p>Take care and I wish you the best in the future.</p>

<p>I tell you the same thing I have told my own sons, being challenged to perform for a teacher who you may not particularly like or respect, is a gift. I can guaranty you this will not be the only such person in your future. Developing the skills necessary to do well under those circumstances is critical to your future success. I can promise you that you’ll have at least one such person in your career path in the future.</p>

<p>My husband had an extremely difficult boss 25 years ago, nobody in the legal department could stand him. My husband could, and did so quite well. So well that they became friends, he became a mentor to my husband. Decades later, he became (and still is) my husband’s boss again. When our family was faced with my husband’s stage 4 base of tongue battle, this boss went to bat for him like no other. I can’t go into too many details, but the livelihood of our family has been forever changed, by someone who was perceived by many to be a difficult person.</p>

<p>On a side note, my son is one of those students who missed the GPA mark, just barely as well. Despite his 30 on the ACT and Engineering major, as of now he has zero scholarship dollars. You have been given a HUGE gift in that GPA waiver…is this how you thank the university?? It’s time to grow up. I’m very sorry to hear about the health difficulties your family has face, truly I am. But I have watched my own son face the very real possibility of losing his father and the tremendous amount of growing up he’s done over the past 10 months. I also know first hand the amount of stress health issues put on parents in a family. For you to add to that by acting so immature with a teacher and risking your scholarship is unconscionable. Again, it’s time…grow up. Tomorrow, be a man. Go in for a private meeting with that teacher, tell them you realize the error of your ways, apologize and tell them you intend to do your very best the rest of this semester. Then go do just that. </p>

<p>I’ve heard it said that the first 3 years of high school get you into college. Your senior year sets you up for success your freshman year at college. Do this for yourself, do this for your parents. Best of luck.</p>

<p>i have a suggestion.</p>

<p>why don’t you see if you can help out a couple of the posters in the “just missed the cutoff” boat.</p>

<p>how about it, OP?</p>