Research opportunities as a Freshman?

Does a freshman at UA have the opportunity to do research? My son is torn between Honors/Chemical Engineering at the University of Kansas (alma mater) or the Honors/ChemE at UA. We just attended a reception for the top incoming engineering freshman for 2015 at KU. They mentioned several times throughout the day that he would have opportunities to do research. He is very interested in doing research. This opportunity is available because my son was accepted into the honors program at KU (ACT of 32 or above). I wonder how important doing research at the Freshman level. Will the UA have this available for my son?

While it isn’t at all necessary to begin research as a frosh (many frosh don’t have enough of the necessary credits to be worthwhile to a researcher), there are some freshman that are able to do research.

I would suggest looking into Emerging Scholars at Alabama. It is a research program just for freshman.

http://emergingscholars.ua.edu

contact email mkalsip@ua.edu

Yes apply to emerging scholar. It makes it easier to find out what faculty members are doing what researches. I am in EMP now and currently several professors are being invited to do presentations about their ongoing researches. While its not necessary to contact these people only, its much more easier to find opportunities because the professor whos in charge of it helps you find the mentors. For example, thanks to this program, I am going to be paired with Professors Van Zee for the fal term.

There is certainly the possibility of doing research during your first year at UA. There are some programs like CBHP and Emerging Scholars that lead the student directly into doing research. Actually research, required classes and presentations are a requirement of these programs (for CBHP, research doesn’t have to begin till year two).

However, some students who are not in a set program such as these still have opportunities to do research.

One way to get involved is to let your professor know that you have an interest right from the beginning of a class. Go to their office hours and let them know of your sincere interest. Be sure to present yourself with enthusiasm and excitement over the subject matter. Also, read some of their work and have an understanding of the subject material. I would bring along a copy of your HS resume and perhaps a teacher recommendation that attests to any pertinent skills and your work ethic. Even though, I don’t think it’s necessary to have taken AP/DE classes to get an opportunity, I doubt that a student wanting to do research in a Biology Lab (for instance) would have much of a chance if they couldn’t answer simple biology questions or discuss aspects of biological studies with the professor.

Also, there is always the time honorored " knocking on doors" approach. Go lab to lab, and meet with the professor in charge, express your interest, and see what happens.

A student could also meet with the head of the department during a tour of the university and directly ask the question, “How can a freshman do research?” and then follow their reccomendation. If you have already visited, you can call or email your inquiry expressing your interest.

My DS sent emails to any labs on campus that he thought sounded interesting. He started working in the lab his second semester and continued to work there the first summer. He earned credit hours during the semester and was paid during the summer. The experience has opened the door to other research opportunities. Last summer he worked at a national research lab “playing with lasers”. He is currently in his third year at UA and his experience in college is way beyond this mom’s dreams. Roll Tide!

Yes to all of the replies above. DS (Junior - ChemE and Bio) did the Emerging Scholars route and has been in a lab since second semester Freshman year. As to the value of being in a lab as a freshman, it depends on career interest. DS wants to go into medical research and the post grad program he wants to get into puts a huge importance on research experience, so the value to him will be fairly high. I would guess the extra research would be of value to almost any Doctoral program admission form.

My son is also participating in research as a second semester freshman. He is in CBH, but the research he is doing this semester is not related to CBH. He sent the prof his resume, made an apt to meet with hi, and he was asked to join the research.

Yes, communicating the student’s interest is key to getting a position. Going door to door, writing emails, and making verbal inquiries are all effective means of showing a clear interest. If one lab or professor can’t offer a position, sometimes another can. Professors and staff can give a reccomendation to one of their colleagues about the student, if they are aware that the student has an interest in doing research.

However, I caution the student to understand that usually when you are in a lab, the hours can be long and the initial work mundane. It is not unusual for newbies in a lab to be asked to shadow another student and just do observation, or even be asked to cleanup. Once the student has established a track record, the student’s responsibilities will change. Experiments can be time consuming, and can run round the clock depending on the project. Students will often study, or do other assignments while waiting on the next phase of their experiments to complete. If a student is doing research, there is an expectation that the student will present his findings. The student has to understand that the research phase, the " hands on" work is only one aspect of the total research experience. Writing papers, creating posters and presenting their work is also expected.

FWIW, a CS professor advised my incoming Freshman daughter to wait to begin Emerging Scholars spring semester so that she’d have the summer between Spring and Fall semesters (of the 2 semester Emerging Scholars sequence) to do much of her research. He advised that if you do the Fall/Spring sequence, it puts pressure on you to do research over Christmas break. I thought that was a good tip, as it takes the pressure off the first semester as well as the first holiday break – allowing the new student to focus on getting into the regular college routine first semester, and to relax over the first semester break.

That sounds like good advice. As I said, research can be very time consuming, many hours, late hours, this can put additional stress on freshmen who are still adjusting to thir new study load, and college in general.

That doesn’t mean it cant be done,. There are students who thrive on a heavy schedule and lots of work. It just depends on the student. But, please make sure to build in some “downtime” so the student can still enjoy their college experience.

Thanks so much for everyone’s replies! Definitely food for thought! Not sure that it is critical to do research his Freshman year. I think it would be best waiting until the Spring semester or waiting to see if he gets pulled from the CBH reserve pool. I really appreciate everyone’s input!

Just got a Top Scholars Day invitation. I wonder what this is for, maybe it is for ES? We visited for a day last October for the Honors tour wasn’t planning on going back until Bama Bound this summer. Has anyone attended? What more can we learn?