Research Paper - How prestigious of a journal should it be?

Hi there!

I recently wrote a research paper in computational biology and sent it to a journal for publishing. I received a reply back fairly quickly saying that my paper had been accepted. I don’t mean to undermine my own research, but it feels too easy. This is my first time publishing and I got accepted within a day? I looked up the journal and I couldn’t find much, except for the information included on the website. I am probably going to submit the article since I don’t want my research to go to waste. However, would you suggest trying other journals? How prestigious does the journal need to be to have an impact on my college applications, or is publishing a paper a significant achievement, regardless of the journal’s prestige?

Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_top_ten_scientific_journals_in_the_world_and_how_quality_is_evaluated this is an article that has the most prestigious scientific journals to get published and check out this list of excellent publications (some online and some in print) that will accept and publish good writing regardless of the writer’s age!

• The Adroit Journal. …
  • Alexandria Quarterly. …
  • AGNI. …
  • Cicada. …
  • The Claremont Review. …
  • Ember. …
  • The Louisville Review. …
  • Polyphony Lit.

It is always better to publish your research paper in a reputed and prestigious journal as a document that comes out in a prestigious journal will be cited more often and get more readership than a paper that comes out in a less prestigious journal. But the downside is what you indirectly mentioned, i.e., the acceptance in a less prestigious journal is relatively more accessible than a highly prestigious one. So it would help if you indeed tried pitching your paper to other more reputable journals.

I’m not in a STEM field (I’m in humanities), but I can tell you that any journal worth its salt will use the peer review process, which this journal clearly does not (the first round of peer review can take months, and the most common response is a revise-and-resubmit, which could be followed by yet another peer review). There are lots of predatory journals out there that attract authors who simply want the publication credit but do not use peer review – which makes both the journal and the publication credit more or less worthless (I could tell you what some of these journals are in the humanities and social sciences, but not in STEM). I can also tell you that it’s extremely unlikely for a high school student or even most college students to be published in a reputable (much less prestigious) academic journal. It’s not even a slam dunk for Ph.D.s! Is it possible? Yes, sure, but highly unlikely. So take a look at the list of reputable journals likely to consider your work that another posted included above. Otherwise, your best bet is to find some sort of internship or research assistant position that will allow you to join an ongoing research team and get your name listed as a co-author – if your co-authored paper gets into a legitimate journal, that will be a better publication credit than publishing your own paper in a journal that has no standing.

Please close this old thread that keeps getting bumped up.