Research

<p>Obviously the bio research in Madison is superb, but do the freshman get to be involved? The reason I'm asking this is because when I went to the campus visit, I never caught any wind of undergrads doing lots of research. But when I went to tour Minnesota, they put great emphasis on freshman getting involved in research. Thanks for the responses...</p>

<p>There are many lab jobs where you can get started in research. When you have some skills you can get more involved. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.wisc.edu/cbe/research/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.wisc.edu/cbe/research/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>There are a few programs that are available to freshman and sophomores if they're interested in doing lab work for pay or for credit.</p>

<p>The website barrons linked is one of the first steps you can take. There's also some sort of honors program you can join that will help you out (Unfortunately, I don't have more information on this, I only heard about it in passing.). Certain classes you may take, such as Chem 116 or Zoo 152 (both of which are the second semester of a two semester class), have an option of doing guided lab research with a professor (or a "mentor") for credit. However, most of the research professors are looking for at least a semester or two of enrollment at the school; you can imagine how disastrous it could be to invite in a couple of fresh high school grads whose education, interest, and experience can range from none to sky-high.</p>

<p>If you're really that intent on nabbing a lab job within the first few weeks of school, check out the department web sites and read up on professors that are doing work in an area you're interested in. When you've found a potential mentor, send them an email introducing yourself, your interests and why you're interested in his/her research, goals, GPA at UW, class load, relevant courses you have taken in the past, how much time you're willing to spend working, and dates you are free to be interviewed. Be sure to include a very specific subject title, such as "Student seeking lab job for Spring 2008 semester". Yes, it sounds like a job, but that's what you're looking for, isn't it? :) Prepare a resume for the interview. Then, if everything seems fine and dandy at that point and your interest is genuine, you can probably start arranging the when's and where's of your new job.</p>

<p>Please take this advice with a grain of salt, as I have never sought lab work with a professor without a class behind it. The website seems to cover that nicely.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that most professors will likely already have their needs for the Fall semester fulfilled. You'll probably be better off seeking work for the Spring. Take the time to get used to the school and the work load. The introductory chemistry courses at UW-Madison are notorious for weeding out a <em>lot</em> of students who aren't serious enough about going on in the sciences, and you may find your interests shift dramatically if you dive head first into this stuff.</p>

<p>I hope you found some of this information useful. Good luck!</p>