Residence Hall Assignments for Class 2020

For those of us who have applied to on-campus housing, I wanted to begin a thread that keeps us updated about the housing assignment process.

My Online Services message section has been updated by posting my first three dorm preferences. If anyone knows if this is a step closer to getting a dorm assignment, please chime in! (btw, I’m currently on the waitlist)

@niccidoe - I received an email today that I am now guaranteed housing and no longer on the wait list.

Yes, I did too. It seems like things won’t be as worrisome as I had imagined! I take it that we’ll know where we’ll be permanently by mid-June at the latest – I’m glad it didn’t take as long as I thought.

I looked into off-campus housing as a backup just in case it on-campus filled up, and they have been endlessly emailing/texting me to “hurry because space was limited”. I’m so glad I waited!

hey! I was wondering when you applied for housing? :open_mouth: since i’m currently on waitlist & haven’t got guaranteed housing (its nerve-wreaking for me rn. lols)

@purpleevic I applied mid-Feb – the same day I was admitted.

@niccidoe oo gots it! hopefully i’ll get an email soon! I applied on Feb. 22! >.<

My son applied for housing Nov 7 and received his priority housing email on March 8 and is in the first round of assignments, per the email. Notification of his dorm assignment will be directed to his TAMU student email in late May or early June.

A few years ago (she’s a Sr now), a friend’s daughter did not get on campus housing her freshman year and they put her in a 4 bedroom apartment (had to learn the bus routes) and she had the best time. All roomies were random freshman who didn’t get on campus either and it was all good.
So don’t stress too much. You will not end up homeless.

Does anyone know anything about the residence hall apartments in Underwood? I am specifically curious about which floor the apartment dorms are located.

My son was in the first group to be notified of housing. He chose Hullabaloo and chose dorm over roommate. He didn’t get dorm or roommate. He’s in Eppright with someone he doesn’t know. He’s trying the appeal process but if he’s unsuccessful, it will be a good growth year for him. Branching out and meeting new people is part of what college is all about. Did anyone else get notification today?

I had hullabaloo as first choice( applied in Jan little to no chance of even getting this) I had NS mods as second and third and Walton as last choice. I ended up getting Walton. I’m not too upset about, actually somewhat relieved to be in a really cheap dorm.

Yes, I was assigned Underwood. I, like everyone else, had Hullabaloo as my first choice and second choices were modular halls nearby. I didn’t get any of my requests, but I did get a modular on the South campus near everything. I assume Underwood will be fine since it’s also a modular style, so it really doesn’t make any difference that I didn’t get the others… I randomly picked the other modulars because I didn’t know any better.

I’m just curious about the hall’s layout. Online I can see the floor plan, but I don’t know if I’m in a double or apartment hall. There are no elevators and I’m on the 4th floor!

@Quirky813, Last year my son was accepted to A&M on Sept. 19 and he put in his residence hall preference (Hullabaloo) and deposit that same day. They assign students in the exact order their deposit is received. Since Hullabaloo only houses 648 students, it filled up with students who paid their deposit by the first week or two of October (per the Residence Life office). If your son reserved on-campus housing in late September/early October, I’d suggest calling Residence Life to inquire further. The Residence Life staff is accommodating when they can be. While my son got his dorm of choice and roommate of choice (also accepted and reserved housing on Sept. 19), they were paired with two 21-year-old junior students who had research jobs at the university. We filed an appeal asking that they be paired with other freshmen, and Residence Life staff made the switch. Hullabaloo is a very nice dorm, but students acclimate to the dorm they get. And yes, meeting new people is part of their growth freshman year and the reason my son chose a 4-person suite over a 2-person suite.

@Quirky813 and others – Also, soon after students move into their dorm, they need to start thinking about where they’ll live sophomore year. My son and three other boys reserved their spot for this year in U Centre in late October. Seems early, but it was full and running a waitlist by late November.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’m trying to help him look on the bright side of things but he can’t really see past not being with his high school friends just yet. His roommate is a sophomore which is good and bad. Hopefully can help show him the ropes if he has the patience.

I was notified today and am assigned to Mosher. Applied for housing in late Nov/early Dec. It was my first choice.

Notified yesterday that I got my first choice and roommate in FHK. (Keathley)

My son also got his notification yesterday. Applied first part of Nov and chose Mosher first choice and received it. He has a random roommate he plans to reach out to for them and the families to meet prior to move in. Random roommates can work out really well. Good luck to everyone.

@Thelma2 What is your son’s name? Haha since we are going to be in the same dorm, would be nice to start making friends. I have attempted to contact my random roommate but he has yet to respond to my email, and don’t really feel like calling him.

Well, I’m not exactly comfortable giving his name on CC lol but I know you will make friends. Many kids are in your position. My daughter met one of her best friends at her orientation. More at her camp so the potential is there for fish camp and nsc in addition to move in.

My son has not reached out yet but will likely text rather than call or email thru the a&m gmail. Judging by my sons room number, he’s on the first floor.

Are you instate or Oos? We are instate and His roommate is OOS but meeting in the middle is a doable drive for both parties. That may be a consideration for you in meeting before move in.

There is a FB page for Tamu 2020 where students are making contacts. My son does not participate on his FB but it looks to be a very involved group.

I know a lot of people (students and parents) who have creeped on their random roommate (I have 2 older college kids). Caution if you do that, as the first person you find by the name may be frightening. Your random roomie (or his mom) could be creeping on you, so make note what’s on your social media or if your name has been in the news. My girlfriend did this about her son’s random and frankly, she’s a bit taken aback by all that she’s discovered ( that he portrays) she’s apprehensive for her son to reach out to him or her son to respond should he be contacted. This kid is apparently experienced sexually and in smoking his body weight in pot and doesn’t mind sharing it on Instagram and Twitter.

@Thelma2 No worries! And I am instate as well. I don’t want to creep on my roommate like some others tend to do, I just want to be able to meet them and decide who brings the TV haha or something along those lines like agreements and sleep habits. And unfortunately I won’t be able to attend Fish Camp as much as I would love to. Not worried though!