Residence Hall Environment

<p>Can somebody give me an idea of what life will be like in a residence hall at Madison? how strict are they? if i join a residence college will I be forced into summer camp like activities? If I have friends in other residence halls are there rules for visiting them or staying overnight?
-I'm trying to decide my residence hall order. Following my brothers advice I've listed southeast residence halls at the top. So far Chadbourne/Barnard at the top, but I've heard they are a built socially awkward. While I am very focused on school I do like to have fun and party a bit, but I don't think I'm looking for something quite as wild as Sellery/Witte. Is there a residence hall that fits in a comfortable middle ground between study and fun?</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman and lives in Chadbourne. No way is she “socially awkward.” Chad is a very large dorm so there are going to be all kinds of students living there. There are plenty of parties to be found on weekends, starting Thursday night. There are a lot of spontaneous “dance parties” any time. No they don’t force you to do any of the optional activities but it’s nice that they are available. My daughter saw Jersey Boys for free. She loves the convenience of Chadbourne with its dining hall and store right in the building. Can’t beat its location in the center of everything.</p>

<p>My son also lives in Chadbourne and has had a similar experience. It has been a positive experience. He has definitely met people from other dorms, too.</p>

<p>Thanks this is definitely helpful chadbourne and Barnard are at the top of my list. Can you give me any information about my other questions about life in the residence halls?</p>

<p>My son is a freshman in Sellery, not in a learning community or anything. No rules about overnights etc, they crash in each other’s rooms often, males and females. There is a House Fellow (RA) – upper class student – who lives on each floor and leads/enforces. Your House Fellow will make sure you do a roommate agreement at the beginning of the year in which you agree on rules and expectations. My son’s House Fellow organized Halloween, Holiday decoration, dorm-wide competitions etc. My son described that pretty much everyone on his hall participated, and they are like an big family. He likes to study in the hall “den” where there is more activity, though his den sounds quieter than some other floors where the tv is on 24/7. He wanted the big party dorm, and he got it – there are literally 1000 freshman to meet, so there is always someone new. </p>

<p>Officially, no drugs or alcohol allowed in the dorm. Students obviously have access to alcohol, at house parties off-campus or legal-age students buying it for them, but it is not allowed in the rooms and if students have it, they hide it. From what I hear, students generally do not smoke pot in their rooms (or if they do, they are completely paranoid about the smell seeping into the hall), so go outside somewhere more remote. </p>

<p>Outside the dorms, my son says UW police don’t act on students who may appear tipsy/drunk as long as they are not acting stupid. If they are belligerent or dangerous, the UW police will do something about it – I think it starts with tickets with hefty fines, but I am not sure how far it goes from there. </p>

<p>Hope that is useful info.</p>

<p>thank you that is helpful, but lets say im not in sellery but i have a freind that is, will i be able to stay in sellery overnight?</p>

<p>As long as it is ok with roommate, it sounds like it should be fine. Students need to work out logistics when there are dating relationships involved. </p>

<p>Over Halloween weekend, there are restrictions on the dorms because so many people come from out of town to party–my son said you could only get into your own dorm, no overnight visitors.</p>

<p>Ditto on the Halloween weekend rules- no guests, even parents and other dorm residents type rules. Don’t plan on inviting anyone then. Also do not plan on inviting people final exam weeks as others are needing study conditions. Courtesies due roommate- and from roommate. The only thing about a residential community- consider joining if you want to be part of the activities, otherwise you could be wasting your fee. Do plan on moving in on your assigned date and attending the House meeting that evening to get all the current info. You share space with your roommate but do not need to be friends or do anything together for a good relationship.</p>

<p>You can revise your Res Halls choices up until May 1st. Discuss with your brothers their reasons for advising Southeast over Lakeshore- they know you and their logic likely makes sense for you.</p>

<p>Do not worry or obsess over your choices or dorm life. The UW campus area is your home and neighborhood, not just the building you live in. Nothing is perfect and there are pros and cons to every dorm. Your dorm can be just a place to sleep or the hub of your social life. You will evolve in your lifestyle so don’t worry the first month on campus that who you spend time with, what you do will be the same the entire year.</p>