Residence Hall question

<p>I am pretty sure I will be attending UW-Madison next year and I am pretty sure I want to live in the Lakeshore neighborhood. Which Lakeshore residence hall is the best and why? Also, are Lakeshore residence halls in higher demand?</p>

<p>I think all the lakeshore dorms are nice with Liz Waters the best until the new ones are done. Yes, they are in high demand.</p>

<p>The new one should be pretty nice, maybe in higher demand though. I think it’s supposed to be big, so your chances could be a little better.</p>

<p>Yeah, yeah everybody sign up for the new dorm out in God’s country. Think about that. A late January morning, its sunny, beautiful and 10 below zero. The lunatics are out there ice boating on Lake Mendota and your ass is stinging as you walk close to a mile to your first class in the Social Science building. Good call - leave that one for the kids from Illinois.</p>

<p>Actually just .6 mile. A mile gets you to the Starbucks on State Street.</p>

<p>@bohligtomack74</p>

<p>As my anxiety continues to escalate, I’ve read thousands of CC posts, and I think your post on the dorms may be the funniest that I’ve come across. And…I’m from IL. I hope I get the chance to live in the new dorm! Happy thanksgiving!!</p>

<p>Haha thanks for all the answers guys! Do you think I should enroll and sign up for housing as soon as possible or can I wait around for a while? Happy thanksgiving!</p>

<p>My son and I just visited UW Madison a few weeks ago. We visited the Lakeshore Residence Hall area and we got the impression by a current freshman that the new dorm might be more for upperclassmen. Not sure how easy it will be to get into that one as a new freshman…</p>

<p>Since they reserve 50% of dorm spaces in each dorm (except the upperclass one) there is a good chance of getting the new dorm- and there won’t be any returning students with loyalty to it. Lakeshore is a nice place to live. </p>

<p>Some like the city noise and highrise lifestyle, others don’t. Many different places all with the same quality upkeep. Do go ahead and sign up for Res Halls if you are sure you want them. You can change your dorm rankings next spring. If you do not attend UW and notify Res Halls in writing (as well as UW) by May 1st you can get your deposit back. Once you sign the contract you are obligated to Res Halls if you attend UW. I think it is a good dorm/housing choice, especially for freshmen. Some will opt for private dorms but most go for Res Halls. It is really nice to have no food service obligations- you buy as little or as much as you want atlower prices than the public pays in res Halls facilities.</p>

<p>You should consider Chadbourne. It’s was renovated recently and it’s close to just about everthing (3 min walk to state street).</p>

<p>^True, and Chadbourne has a similar atmosphere to Lakeshore (more studious, etc) but it’s in a better location.</p>

<p>Yeah I’ve heard chadbourne is in a really good location, but how is it better? Just curious</p>

<p>I wouldn’t call it better, but it’s kind of nice because of the location and the fact that it’s still studious, even though the other dorms in the same area are more party dorms. It’s part of Chadbourne Residential College (along with Barnard, another dorm you should look into - quiet, nice location, and it has some singles, which are hard to get but nice), so it costs a bit more, but there are lots of planned activities, lots of outings and such. Lots of random free food, stuff like that :slight_smile: And if you live there, because it’s a “learning community,” you get to pick your room online, so you get to know exactly where you’ll be living before everyone else.</p>

<p>Plus it currently has the best dining hall on campus, although next year there will be a new one that might be the same or better. I lived in Chadbourne, I liked it. The rooms are smaller but the common rooms and bathrooms are some of the best on campus (besides the brand-new dorms). Plus there’s a convenience store directly in your dorm, which was basically a godsend…when it’s -10 out and you need something, it’s great to not have to go outside.</p>

<p>Sign up for party dorm, Sellery, if you like partying.</p>

<p>There hasn’t been a lot posted about the Lakeshore dorm Kronshage. My daughter is a freshman in one of the Kronshage houses and it has been the best experience for her. The location is gorgeous and the rooms have tons of storage built into them. Her ‘house’ is coed by floor and only has around 60 kids total living there. She has found it very easy to make incredible friends and loves the experience. Yes, she does hop on the bus if she doesn’t feel like walking but hasn’t been inhibited a bit by the location.</p>

<p>Chad and the other Southeast dorms are highrises. Think waiting for elevators. Do you want that lifestyle? Do you want the busy traffic right outside your dorm? The street noise travels. There are reasons many families that can afford to live in the suburbs do so and commute to the big cities (or in the country and commute to the medium sized cities). This is a lifestyle choice. Think not only of the not too long walk to classes- who knows, your discussion section/class could be in a western building, but of evenings and weekends. Do you want to be able to go for a short walk in a park setting or on busy city streets for a break? Do you want the view out of your window to be greenery and low rise buidings or a mass of city buildings? Steenbock is close for those who like to study in libraries. It is easy to use the stairs to get outside for a change in atmosphere. There are pros and cons to ALL dorms and locations. It becomes an individual preference, not what is most popular. You will find like minded people to live with no matter which dorm or area you choose. Make a list of pros and cons and see which appeals most to you.</p>

<p>Students in Chadbourne have the opportunity to apply for an alternative spring break experience in the Dominican Republic, volunteering through the (Glendale, AZ-based) Orphanage Outreach program. The cost (students pay only $450, and are responsible for obtaining a passport) is subsidized by a grant, and the experience focuses on one of three areas (Public Health Education, Sustainability, English Education). Students earn 2 credits, and are registered for International Studies 320 (meets once a week during Spring semester for 2 hours on Thursday nights).</p>

<p>Students who have never traveled out of the country are given priority over those who have.</p>

<p>No other dorm has this particular opportunity.</p>

<p>This year, 67 students applied for 42 spots.</p>

<p>[Division</a> of University Housing](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/global]Division”>Global Café is Back for Spring – University Housing – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>For Chad, if you join the learning community (extra $300 fee, financial aid available), you can choose your own room online in early Spring. If you want a view, pick one of the top floors. If you dislike waiting for the elevator, pick the 2nd or 3rd floor and plan on taking the stairs. If you want ‘less’ noise, pick the back side of the building that’s not facing Park Street or University Avenue. If you and a friend want to be roommates, pick the same room in rooms-online.</p>

<p>The choice of dorm or area, lakeshore or southeast, is not always fulfilled. The selection process is done by lottery. Admitted students rank the dorms (1 to 15) based upon the student’s preference. That’s it, then in June a letter comes with the assigned dorm and roommate. Our oldest received the LAST choice from what they ranked. The second received the 4th choice.</p>

<p>Sinatra: So what dorms did they end up living in and how were their experiences in those dorms please?</p>