residence halls

<p>I just made my decision that I'm going to Purdue but I'm not sure which residence hall is best. I know that I want air conditioning and a room with a good amount of space but I don't know which residence hall to choose. Help please!</p>

<p>Hi Erical,</p>

<p>On the web, it did tell you which hall has air-con. We just came back from our visit and the rooms/hall are equally old. We saw two of them. My daughter is admitted to Honor School and she is automatically assigned to Shrieve (no dining hall) but has air-con. Not any prettier or bigger in anyways. </p>

<p>We saw they are building 2 brand new resident hall to be complete Fall 2014 if this is any help to you. In Co-Ed Hall, men and women are in seperate wings and they cannot get to each other wings without chaperone/host. Hope this help.</p>

<p>Can any people who have visited Purdue or any current residents rate the following residences for engineering students?</p>

<p>Cary, Tarkington, Wiley, Owen and Earhart.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Cary: All guys dorm. Also called Cary Closets. Small rooms in general, thought the suites are actually really nice if you can get it.
Owen: No A/C, lofted beds use metal bars instead of the wooden planks most other dorms use. Probably closest to classes though. Across the street from Tark Mart (place to buy snacks/ food/ supplies and things, can use dining dollars).
Earhart: Pretty nice, A/C I think, pretty standard sized rooms. Right on top of a Dining Court and On-The-Go.</p>

<p>Thank you Seirsly. How about Tark and Wiley? Are you staying in a dorm now or did you experience the dorm life before?</p>

<p>Can a freshman get a suite in Cary?</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>No idea about Tark and Wiley, never been in them actually. I’ve lived in Harrison, currently living in Shreve, and will be living in Harrison again next year.</p>

<p>Yes, not sure how hard it is though.</p>

<p>Does anyone have an opinion on Windsor?</p>

<p>Hi! I currently live in Wiley Hall, and I love it!
It doesn’t have air conditioning, but it’s really close to campus (especially if you’re an engineering student) and Wiley/Ford Dining Courts are the best in my opinion.</p>

<p>As far as the size of rooms go, I think our rooms are as big as others. I think Wiley’s are more open because of the closet type but I could be wrong. And the no air conditioning thing isn’t bad except for maybe the first week of school, and if you have fans, you’ll survive easily!</p>

<p>I was considering Wiley because it’s close to engineering and coed. Are there mostly engineering students in Wiley? I know my workload will be pretty intense, so I was hoping that if a lot of other engineering students are in Wiley, we will all be studying pretty hard. Also, I applied for a learning community with an optional residential component that would be in Earhart. Do you think it helps you get into an LC if you choose to live in the designated dorm? Will I be hurting my chances of the LC by listing Wiley first? (If I end up going with Earhart, is it really that much farther?)</p>

<p>abbatrese - I would’ve definitely lived in Windsor this year if it wasn’t for my sorority’s live-in requirement. They’ve all been redone recently, so they’re really nice and have air conditioning. Some rooms are bigger than others due to the building being old. But it’s really close to campus and all five of their buildings are connected, so you don’t have to go outside to go to the main office or the dining court there if it’s pouring rain. So I definitely recommend Windsor for incoming Purdue females. It’s really popular amongst upperclassmen though, so I’m not sure how many spots would still be available.</p>

<p>flyguy: There were actually a lot of Pharmacy students this year (because the pharmacy LC was in Wiley) but there are literally engineers everywhere. There is no shortage. That said, if you’re looking for a “not party” dorm, I know Owen got pretty rowdy this year so I may avoid that, but that could’ve just been that group of people. Wiley wasn’t THAT awful, but it was definitely loud at times. I always studied in my room though, so it can be done. Shreve had a ton of engineers because it housed the Honors Engineering LC last year, but if it’s in Earhart this year then you will have a pretty big group with you.</p>

<p>As far as LCs go. If you specify a roommate that takes precedence over the LC, so don’t put a roommate down or it will hinder your chances. I’m pretty sure putting down a different dorm doesn’t matter, but I’m not sure. I was going to apply to a LC last year, but I had a roommate lined up already and they said that there wasn’t a guarantee that we could live together, and I still be in the LC.</p>

<p>Earhart really isn’t THAT much farther (and you can always take the bus when it’s cold!), but at 8am in the freezing rain it feels like miles. However, I wouldn’t let that stop you! As I said, the bus is always a viable option, and during the fall/spring it isn’t bad at all. Also, Earhart is nice inside and they have a dining court in the building which would have been great!</p>