residence halls

<p>I just got a letter asking me to submit my dorm request. whats a popular dorm? the booklet is only so helpful.</p>

<p>Waters, Smith, Chadbourne</p>

<p>Warning- translate popular into may not get into it (last year Smith was new and Liz Waters coed for the first time; each received top choice listing from 1/3 of new students- obviously a lot of students got a lesser choice). Choose your dorm based on location and type-lakeshore/southeast, older/newer... The Res Halls website has a wealth of information about each dorm. All dorms are different, suiting many types of people; you have to figure out your priorities and rank accordingly. Eons ago I lived on lakeshore, good friends in Barnard, we did not want each other's choice of dorm; you have to pick a space you can live in. Remember to use Google Earth for a birdseye view of the campus. All dorms have pros and cons.</p>

<p>Liz Waters probably has the most generically convenient location for going to classes, followed by Chadbourne and Barnard. SE dorms are closer to Memorial Union and State Street, but Chadbourne and Barnard also have this advantage, too. Lakeshore dorms have a bit more isolation and "traditional feel" to them and are close to the Lakeshore path if you like running/walking/biking. They are closer to the major intramural fields, too, if you are a sports participant. Camp Randall and football games are about equally accessible from all, but the Kohl Center (basketball) is very close to the SE dorms.</p>

<p>I got that same letter and I'm in the same situation as you, Mustang. Just wondering if you've found any sources that helped you choose (if you've made a choice yet). That packet they give us isn't a really big help.</p>

<p>I know a couple people at school that are going there and talked with them. One of my friends said he applied to Liz Waters cause he liked it.</p>

<p>REPEAT- READ THE INFO ON THE RES HALLS WEBSITE! You can find distances to buildings, pictures outside and in, floorplans/loft guides, maps, amenities, history (age), food service types and locations, special interest houses...- what more can they tell you? You have to take the time to open subsites. I lived there and can vouch for their info- noone can tell you which people will be there until they move in. The problem is too many different choices: prioritize , make your rankings and hope you get the one you want.</p>

<p>Lakeshore is for study and quiet and Ogg, Witte and Sellery are the party dorms right ?</p>

<p>Don't count on stereotypes as hard and fast rules- some students will pick a dorm for its location relative to their classes, or other activities, not the perceived atmosphere so don't have expectations and find them dashed when your dorm floor atmosphere isn't what you expected.</p>