Residence Life (Freshmen)

<p>So, I'm trying to put a finger on where I would want to live as a freshman. I'm leaning towards Jones because of its central location, but I feel like I'd have a better freshman experience in the South Village freshman dorms. Does Jones' location give it a distinct advantage, or am I better off in the South Village?</p>

<p>Southside (“South Village” as you called it) is extremely far from academic buildings compared to Jones, which is a factor you might want to consider. You might not mind in summer/spring but winter is brutal, especially if you have 8:30 AM classes. I definitely recommend living in a corridor style room your freshman year to better acquaint yourself with other freshmen but you definitely will meet other friends in classes and suites like that (not trying to deter you from suites).</p>

<p>What are the freshmen specific dorms? Is housing guaranteed for all freshmen?</p>

<p>Jones is actually closing for the 2013-2014 school year. Daga is good for freshmen, but if you aren’t interested in living on Southside, Monroe just reopened after two years of renovations and it’s super nice :slight_smile: Also, housing is guaranteed all four years and the freshman dorms are Daga and Wayne (since Jones is closing idk if they will add another)</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure the college is turning Niagara into a freshman dorm to compensate for losing Jones.</p>

<p>Question for any current students: Which dorm would you live in as your first choice as a freshman?</p>

<p>Most people I know really liked Daga since it has the most freshmen and a lot going on. If you like that type of environment, it’s a great dorm. It does tend to be the craziest though. I lived in Wayne my freshman year and a lot of people liked that but I personally hated it because it only had like 90 students and my floor was pretty quiet. Freshman year I’d definitely say go corridor-style in a building that’s exclusively or primarily freshmen.</p>

<p>Where is Daga…I was looking in the map?</p>

<p>Looks like that refers to Onondaga Hall ([Daga</a> Hall | SUNY Geneseo](<a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/iss/daga_hall]Daga”>http://www.geneseo.edu/iss/daga_hall))</p>

<p>@JEDAD 2013 Ha Ha yeah I saw that after…Thanks…how is your college process going?</p>

<p>@GCmom415 - we are getting there. Now that we have most of our financial packages in, our one son has chosen Ithaca College over SUNY Oneonta. We are glad, Ithaca was his top choice. The other one is still choosing between SUNY Geneseo and U of R for Physics. Without merit aid from Geneseo, U of R is currently cheaper. We are hoping for some from Geneseo, so he can make his decision solely based on which college he likes better.</p>

<p>I lived in Wayne also my freshman year (this year) and it’s nice for some people. But more social students should probably live in Daga or Niagara. Wayne is a very quiet dorm which can get very aggravating.</p>

<p>@hunterkane8 thats good to know thanks! How is the walk from Daga and Niagara? What do you think of Livingston?</p>

<p>Niagara is closer to central campus than Daga is but not by much. It’s still a pretty long walk. Livingston is in central campus so it is a much shorter walk to the academic buildings compared to Niagara and Daga</p>