Residency comes next

^^^
Congrats!!!

Orientation started today for the new interns at my hospital. Most of them started medical school after I did. Hopefully next year I’ll be an MS3!

^D. is on the second week of orientation. And she got her schedule. She even knows when she has vacations.
So, after her first pay check, she actually can buy tickets for vacation! Since she is going with somebody else, she can only go for 1 week though.

MS3 was the hardest year for her. Best wishes and good luck!

D’s first year is officially over. It has been a remarkably busy and challenging year but it was so nice to hear the satisfaction in her voice when we spoke yesterday. There are days of course but she feels lucky to be in her particular program, likes and respects her co-workers, and regardless there is little room for more than work (and recovering for the next round of work) she sounded really good. That is all you want to hear in your kid’s voice. Yesterday she delivered her first triplets. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Best of luck to all the new interns. You will be great!

Congrats on D’s accomplishment! I bet, she will never forget this delivery!
Mine starts this Wed. July 1. As much as she thought that the first year would be her hardest, now she discovered that since she will have lots of electives in her first year, it would not be as hard as she originally thought. She actually will have this Friday off (unexpectedly!), so she may even go somewhere for the long weekend. She is happy that she starts off with the couple of electives.

Spoke with S a few days ago, he’ll start third year of residency this week. He mentioned that interns start today. He was telling us how he has been in ICU and has had to run some codes in last few weeks (ie leader of team that oversees treatment of patient who has gone into cardiac/respiratory arrest). Wife and I recalled how far he’s come since starting internship when he seemed to be like a deer in headlights. He says he’s excited to go to work every day. It’s just so surreal that only a couple of years ago as a new intern he was this glob of medical knowledge and training, where in 2 years he has much more form and functionality. Congrats and good luck to all interns as well as to those who are now junior residents. Although it’s hard and exhausting at times, it’s quite a ride.

DD has survived her internship year, she seems to be doing well. In the more humane rotations she makes time for sports and a social life. In the harsh rotations she just has to survive the month. Best of all, after doing several surgery rotations, while she does really enjoy the OR and the surgical work, she is not regretting not choosing it, not after watching other surgical interns. I am very relieved she is happy with her choice or specialty.

Today is the first day for my D. She is done with the orientation. Today is also an effective day of her own medical insurance coverage, we removed her from both of ours, the “disconnection” process is complete. She said that she is in a lighter rotation for couple of weeks and then in another elective. So, the hard times start a bit later.
Best wishes to everybody who just starting and those who have their feet wet already.

An article on SDN: 10 Signs You’re an Intern
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2015/07/10-signs-youre-an-intern/

Well, the reality of being newly graduated doctor has hit.

It’s 6 weeks post-graduation and D1 has her first student loan payment due!

(She also explained the fine details of buying individual specialty-specific disability insurance, the cost and how she had to undergo 3 days of medical screening/testing/exams to qualify.)

That pretty much covers it from what I have seen.

You are protected from 24 hour shifts during the first year. Two days into her second D was on the schedule (over the July 4th holiday) for 24 hours with brand new interns. They got the job done but I could tell from D’s voice that it was a challenge directing interns and managing the floor. It seems like yesterday that she was the greenhorn.

“You are protected from 24 hour shifts during the first year”
-Only if your program is NOT part of the study. There is a study going on in response to the filed suit. So, 28 (twenty eight) hours every 6 weeks (if I remember correctly) are ahead. I believe that chief resident will actually take a pager to allow 3 hrs of sleep at some point of this shift. Whatever it is, no complaints, somehow it will be handled and coffee unfortunately is not an option. Very thankful to be at her first choice, no other emotions at this point. Still in elective and another one for few weeks, then the hard shifts will start. Electives are actually about half of the first year.

“-Only if your program is NOT part of the study. There is a study going on in response to the filed suit. So, 28 (twenty eight) hours every 6 weeks (if I remember correctly) are ahead…”

Miami or anyone: what study, what lawsuit??

^The effect of the long shifts on the number of errors.

I’m still confused. I am aware that the powers to be decided some years ago that long hours of residents (interns) of past years was causing problems due to sleep deprived residents and so decided to limit duty hours to average of 80 hours(?) a week for interns. But now they are questioning this decision to limit duty hours as there seems to be increase in problems with patient care because patient care/treatment is getting lost in shift handoffs between residents. So I know that trying to find some happy medium between hours of residents and the adequacy of their training and patient care is regularly studied among powers to be. What lawsuit?

It has been decided. However, there has not been a study. And 80 hours is in effect no matter what.
I do not know any details and I am not supposed to know details for known reasons.

So, I believe that at present there is no study currently in play and all residents are protected from 24 hour shifts during their intern year, yes?

I do not know anything about residents being protected from 24 hour shifts. I know there is an 80 hrs / week restriction.

Rather than speculate…

https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/dh-faqs2011.pdf (Document updated summer 2014 according to its first page)

The above is just a proof that there are exceptions to any rules.