Resident Advisor Question

<p>Does UA employ upperclassmen to be resident advisors? Do colleges still have these or am I showing my age?!?!?!?</p>

<p>Any other ideas to help defray the cost of a fabulous Alabama education/experience are welcomed and appreciated!</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Yes, the UA has resident advisors. The application process has been completed for next year already. The application process began at the end of November and concluded with interviews and selection in February. Students receive information on My Bama about the application process. Those selected receive free housing, a reduction in the meal plan cost, and a stipend. The process is very competitive and selective and returning RA’s reapply each year. I’ve heard there were five or six hundred applicants this year. Those selected receive a bid from a community and then may accept or decline the offer they receive.</p>

<p>THANK YOU! My DS is only a high school junior! UA is his #1 choice, and he might not have the GPA to qualify for the OOS scholarships. I am just trying to think of ways to help defray the cost over the years. He is currently a peer advisor and student council officer and I thought RA might be a fit in a few years.</p>

<p>Do you know what qualifications/experience UA looks for in a RA?</p>

<p>You’re welcome. :)</p>

<p>Here is a link with more information:</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm)</p>

<p>Although this link is only showing summer positions now, it should show minimum qualifications which would be similar. There are other employment opportunities listed periodically like desk assistant, but I am not familiar with the pay, etc. for those positions.</p>

<p>As I said, it is HIGHLY competitive. Although this shows a minimum GPA, know the competition will include those with a GPA above 4.0.</p>

<p>Here is an article that may be helpful:</p>

<p><a href=“Documenting Justice (Video) – The Crimson White”>Documenting Justice (Video) – The Crimson White;

<p>That was helpful. Do students who need work/study jobs as part of their financial aid packages get preference for campus employment?</p>

<p>I would think they might for some things, but I will have to let someone who knows more answer. I don’t believe that would be the case for Resident Advisor though.</p>

<p>Contact Sea_tide </p>

<p>He knows about the RA process.</p>

<p>Here’s the description of the RA position:
The Resident Advisor position is a live-in student leader who serves as a university resource for the residents in a given area, floor or residence hall. The RA also provides on-call and crisis response services within Housing and Residential Communities and connects all residents to their campus community through activities and information.</p>

<p>Night, holiday and weekend hours are required throughout the year. Candidates must be enrolled as full-time, continuing students and have an overall GPA of 2.8.</p>

<p>A successful candidate will be organized, possess the ability to interact and communicate with a diverse group of people, work cooperatively on a team, maintain confidentiality and professionalism, and plan and implement activities designed to meet the needs of the residents on their floor.</p>

<p>The RA position is not a work-study position, so work-study eligibility has no bearing on the selection process.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!
Janine Gascoigne</p>

<p>That was very helpful! I can’t believe you took the time to answer the question of a curious mother of a HS junior! UA continues to impress me. Thank you!</p>

<p>My DS will be an RA next year, he applied, went through the interview process and was placed as an RA in Harris Hall for next school yr. He is now going through some RA training.
I would be happy to update you on how it goes and his experience as a RA. He’s pretty pumped about it.</p>