Resident advisors/assistants

<p>Is anyone familiar with UA’s program? Would you recommend for a honors STEM kid? What year do you need to be to apply? Time commitment? Compensation? I am struggling to find info/details on the website.</p>

<p>Is your child an incoming student?</p>

<p>My D is a freshman engineering student this year. Just before she started, she was offered the opportunity to start her STEM MBA. It is a new program with approx 48 students. They take an MBA class every semester. Currently it’s a 1.5 hour credit and there are 2 classes of 24 students. At the end of 4 years the student will have 12 hours to apply towards the STEM MBA. Then they enroll for a solid year to complete the MBA process. I know you didn’t specifically ask this but I don’t know how easy it would have been to find this info either.</p>

<p>Your child might be offered the Emerging Scholars opportunity as an incoming freshman.</p>

<p>Other than that, I think you can contact the professors directly. Hopefully, M2CK will be along shortly for more complete advice.</p>

<p>Are you asking whether your child can become a RA for a residence hall?</p>

<p>I would contact Bama housing for details.<br>
here’s the link for RAs
<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I know that those who are RAs for Ridgecrest South have to take turns manning the 24 hour desk - which can be a problem. Other halls don’t have 24 hr desks. </p>

<p>I believe the compensation is free housing.</p>

<p>Yes, I was asking about resident hall RA’s. Thought someone might have personal experience they might be willing to share.</p>

<p>On a related topic … and not meaning to hijack this thread. Two of my Ds good friends hope to apply for and be chosen as an RA for next year. Question: In the Suite style dorms, do RAs have roommates? And assuming that they do, are they allowed to live with friends? If neither of them are chosen, then they will live together. If, however, lets say 1 of them is chosen, then does the RA get to room with friends? Anyone out there know? They want to be able to set up all their contingency scenarios. Thanks.</p>

<p>RAs in the super suite dorms live in 4-person suites and can choose their roommates.</p>

<p>Time commitment for RAs depends on the dorm and the RAs level of involvement, but is a 15-20 hour per week commitment. </p>

<p>The people working the front desks are often desk assistants, which is an hourly position, rather than RAs, though RAs will also work the front desks.</p>

<p>Curious as to why Ridgecrest South has 24 hour front desk, but not other dorms???</p>

<p>Thanks Sea. That is too large a commitment given everything else she will have going on. Thanks for responding.</p>

<p>All of the residential communities have 24hr desks. Some buildings such as Ridgecrest West, Lakeside West, and all of the Riversides have front desks that are located in adjacent buildings (Ridgecrest East, Lakeside East, and the Riverside South Clubhouse, respectively.) To me, not having a front desk in ones building is a plus as buildings without a front desk tend to be quieter and one can enter/exit the building without disturbing the person at the front desk. Ridgecrest South is basically 2 buildings (North and South) under one roof, which is why it has a front desk in the common area.</p>