Resident vs. Non-Resident Enrollment Targets

<p>I came across this article. If coverage of this info was previously posted, I apologize. I don't remember seeing anything recently, so thought I would share.</p>

<p>For those interested in the topic:
Boosting</a> UW nonresident enrollment sparks debate </p>

<p>This looks to have some potential significant ramifications.</p>

<p>Right now a bit controversial. Some politicians opposed–the same guys that cut funding or course.</p>

<p>If we go by 2012-2013 statistics, there were 5272 freshmen enrolled this last September. An increase of OOS frosh admissions (not counting the WI-MN reciprocity) for next year from 25% to 30% would add only 264 true OOS tuitions, a difference of $16,249 per admit, a total of $4,289,736 added to the overall tuition coffers for the year.</p>

<p>Doesn’t seem like a ton of money, considering all the building rehabilitation AND what they’re going to have to pay for a new football coach. :)</p>

<p>Fall 2012 first year were closer to 6279. But still you are right–not a big number in $$$'s although $4.3 million buys fair number of profs–say about 40. That’s one large dept.</p>

<p><a href=“http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf[/url]”>http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>…and if those OOS admits do not drop out, it’s the gift that keeps on giving, that extra 4-plus million every year that they didn’t have before.</p>

<p>I think a higher percentage of true OOS admits is inevitable, despite what UW-Madison is supposed to provide for their home state. I get that. But a laggard economy ever beckons, and short of strafing some departments, which would definitely hurt UW-Madison’s standing as near the top of public U’s in the country, this is the least painful way to raise funds.</p>

<p>Due to some political/public complaints cap increase reduced to 27.5% and passed. The only reason there is a cap is that back in the late 60’s many in the state blamed the demonstrations on OOS students. The cap went into effect shortly after. Basically a right-wing response holdover from decades ago.</p>

<p>Do keep in mind the mission of UW is to educate the residents of this state, and adding OOS students is a benefit for the instate students. This is entirely different than a private school’s mission. It is not only about balancing the budget. The cap is necessary to give good WI residents the chance to attend the state flagship- UW owes nothing to OOS students. A different viewpoint from that of those from elsewhere. Parents of instate students have paid plenty in taxes over many years to support public education in WI and their good students deserve the chance to benefit from this.</p>

<p>UW also does a lot of education for noncollege residents throughout the state, something we often forget about. </p>

<p>I remember the hearing about those OOS radicals when I was in a Madison area HS- but knew some of my classmates fit the mold as well.</p>