Rest in Peace: College Closings

You can’t always blame the college for mission creep. A generous alumna wants her college to start an Asian Studies program, because she worked in Hong Kong for 10 years and credits her college’s econ department for making her so successful in international finance.

So she donates X million dollars for the formation of an Asian Studies department. If the college doesn’t accept it- or tries to negotiate ('let’s designate the funds for financial aid! Let’s designate the funds to bolster the foreign language offerings!") it might work- or the money might go to another women’s college, and the subsequent donations with it.

You’re the provost, president, or head of development- do you turn the money down?

That’s not “mission creep”, that’s a badly planned initiative. Mission creep is when a college decides that their faculty, who were hired to teach, and have 5/5 teaching loads, should also do research, because the administration wants some extra research money, and the prestige that having research brings. The college’s original mission was teaching, but now they add research into it, even though A, they are not set up for research, B, they are not providing faculty with the required resources, and C, the faculty are already teaching full time, and research would be required without any reduction in their full time teaching load.

A college whose mission is primarily research has no business accepting a huge donation for the purpose of building a research institute, unless they have a detailed plan that includes long-term sustainability of the effort. This should be explained to the donor, and the plan should be showed o the donor. this is usually the case, since I do not think that there are very many donors who walk into a college and say “here are $45 million, build me a Center, and make it look good”. Most want an institute that won’t collapse in a decade or so.

Mission creep is not the result of some rich person wanting to donate money, it’s the result of somebody in the higher administration who wants to “make their mark”, and demonstrate an increase in finances within their tenure as provost, or whatever, position. However, an ill thought pout use of a donation is also the sort of thing that such a person “with a vision” will do. Mostly this vision has to do with increased finances or increasing in the rankings. The problem with all of them is that they are almost always short-term.

Deans, provosts, presidents, etc, generally stay at colleges for a fairly short period, compared to faculty. So they look to accomplish something that can go on their resume as they move off the the next position, either at a larger school, or a promotion at a school of the same size. The rarely think about the effects if their action 10 or 15 years down the road. At the same time, they rarely care about faculty opinion, they rarely check with the extensive institutional memory which exists among the faculty, and they rarely have the insight as to the actual cost of things like adding research requirements to faculty with a 5/5 teaching load. They rarely have ever stayed at a college long enough to see how their initiatives play out in the longer term.

A multi-million dollar donation that will require a cost of twice that over the next 15 years is exactly the sort of thing that can be avoided with shared governance, since the faculty will both have knowledge of the long term success of previous such donations, and actually care that the finances of the college will crash five years after the Provost has moved to another college. It’s also the exact sort of thing that many administrators don’t want to hear or know. They get to add the “brought in a $45,000,000 donation which allowed the establishment of an Asian Studies institute” to their CV, and off they go. They will likely never be associated with whatever mess was caused by their “initiative” ten years after they leave.

So yes, turning down donations that will collapse the college 20 years down the road is exactly what a provost, president, or head of development should do.

@MAandMEmom You are absolutely correct, it happens across all classifications. Richer colleges, or colleges with better planning capabilities can, generally, weather it and even grow. But at the end, it’s the faculty who pay the price, while the people who landed the college in the mess are off being promoted to another college, or have retired, and are busy enjoying their nice retirement packages.

1 Like

Well, kindasorta.

First of all, in most cases, if a program is completely closed down, not even tenured faculty in it need to be retained, depending on the reasons for the restructuring—tenure isn’t a lifetime appointment, but rather an appointment with presumption of reappointment and strong academic freedom rights. In general, though, when a program is closed down, tenured faculty end up being not fired but rather reassigned to another department—so, for example, if my department were closed down, I (as one of my department’s linguists) would probably end up being reassigned to the anthropology or—less likely—sociology department, and then do my teaching and research from there.

But the fact that I and others in my department are tenured is no guarantee that the program I’m in will be maintained by the university.

My D and I just recently toured Western Kentucky Univ. She loved it. Two days later it’s all over the local news that they will probably be cutting 102 programs. I looked at the list & several were at least minors she was considering. Now she’s a little gun shy–afraid to tour and fall in love just to find out a school is slashing programs or closing. Me, too!

Just heard that the College of New Rochelle (Westchester County, NY) is closing too.

Links with information about reductions and closings mentioned above:

Western Kentucky University had announced in February that cuts were coming, has now released details: https://www.bgdailynews.com/news/following-budget-cuts-wku-makes-changes-to-university-college/article_a2622380-5089-5a75-99fb-e24e86e767d2.html

College of New Rochelle closing, students (and many faculty!) being absorbed into Mercy College: http://www.westchestermagazine.com/College-of-New-Rochelle-Closing-2019/

That also means that some endowment money is “locked” to certain purposes, whether or not those purposes need all of the earnings from that endowment money for ongoing expenses.

Yikes – both my sisters went to WKU, and my HS junior niece also plans to attend.

@ucbalumnus, there are ways around that. They often require money and time, of course, which is a problem for places that are undercapitalized and burning through money quickly. For a place like Tulsa, though, they’ve got plenty of both.

A college that has bucked the contraction/closure trend is The Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology in Boston. It has seen a 20% increase in enrollment in recent years due to niche programs that translate to into in demand jobs for its graduates. It plans to sell its iconic South End property built with Andrew Carnegie funds to a brand new location. http://thebostonsun.com/2019/02/08/benjamin-franklin-institute-to-exit-south-end-after-110-years/

‘It’s precarious’: Can Hampshire College’s experiment in higher education survive?
https://wapo.st/2GrqDsQ

Inside Higher Ed reports today that Hampshire College’s accreditation might be at risk. Se the following link to the 4/22/19 article:

http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2019/04/22/hampshire-college-accreditation-risk

^^^An unfortunate, but predictable, next step in the downward spiral that is hard to reverse.

They should just merge with Umass instead of trying to extend what will be a shutdown… I doubt they have the alumni network to raise what they will need…

Why would UMass want them? Even at zero cost, some things are not be worth the headache.

@hebegebe The land and buildings…and the endowment after paying off Hampshire’s debt! that’s what Boston university got after taking over Wheelock College.

Hellenic College Holy Cross, located in Massachusetts, reportedly is “on the brink” of closing. See the following link to today’s Inside Higher Ed article:

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2019/04/24/another-small-new-england-college-brink

Does anyone have suggestions as to what questions to ask ahead of time? I know people have mentioned endowments (under $100 m? Under $50 m? Under $20 m?) - are there other criteria to look at? (My kid’s heart is set on Bennington, where the president announced 2 days ago she’s leaving at the end of June.)

@SailingMomof2 It’s difficult to set a cutoff for endowment, but taking a deeper dive into the financials of schools that have less than $100M would not be unreasonable. Also, you can consult Forbes college credit ratings: https://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2017/08/01/2017-forbes-college-financial-grades-a-through-d/#34864c4972f3

Moody’s and Fitch rate colleges according to credit worthiness as well.

@Mwfan1921 thanks. I’ve seen Moody’s (I’m unable to access the most recent posts without some advanced membership) and will check Fitch.