Restricted Workload

<p>A gudance counselor told me yesterday one of her alumni students now at UCSB was told they can only sign up for 12 credits for the next few quarters due to budget cuts. Anyone with kids at the UCs hear about anything like this?
thanks</p>

<p>Certainly not true at Cal. </p>

<p>What may confuse the counselor, if UCSB uses a system similar to UCB, is that students sign up for classes in two stages (phases), with a limit at Cal of 10.5 units in the first phase and then the remainder up to 20.5 in the second phase. This separation lets every student get a shot at their highest priority classes in phase I, while those who consider the class a lower priority will register for it in phase II. Perhaps UCSB is just instituting a similar two phase approach to registration (or maybe not, I have no idea what is happening at SB).</p>

<p>I highly doubt it. I’ve heard nothing like that at UCLA. Most people at my school are already having trouble graduating on time as it is, this would just not go over well with anyone. I heard of UCLA getting rid of requirements, like foreign language and other required classes, but never limiting the amount of units to 12, which is just barely three classes. </p>

<p>12 units is just not enough for the majority of majors. I know for the engineering majors at my school, you have to take 4 or more classes per quarter, which is at least 16 units to be considered on track.</p>

<p>I could always ask my friends at UCSB what’s going on, but so far, I haven’t seen any of their facebook rant posts, so I don’t think that true.</p>