Resume for schools that allow you to upload one through CA

would you include your class rank on your resume for the common app upload, if your school calculates/shares it? if yes, what would you feel is the cut-off worth sharing? only if within top 10? only if within top 10% - first decile?

thanks so much

If it matches, up to you. But it’s not needed. And I personally wouldn’t.

But your resume should really expand to show things they can’t know about you from the app - so longer, deeper descriptions of activities, etc.

The issue kids have is it’s hard to truly fill a page at 17 so the ly look for things to fill space.

The rank is not necessary and may not match if the counselor report changes after the semester.

And you don’t want anyone to see discrepancies.

thanks.

do you think it is of value to those schools that note class rank as very important on the CDS?

especially if your counselor cannot say the exact number because they are ONLY allowed to state decile which can mean you are the last person to make the top 10% or be in the top 10 of the entire class?

if the resume is a place to clearly state the exact ranking, both weighted and unweighted what is the even a rule of thumb or is it just personal pref?

Just personal opinion - which is all anyone really has.

I’m not sure the resume has much weight. Many/most don’t want. I think for my kids only FSU did but we submitted since we had it where optional.

The biggest value - when you are planning for a job next summer, you have a great baseline from which to build.

I think they care about Val/Sal and deciles. I may be wrong but most schools today aren’t reporting.

Ours reported top 25. Of 600. The Princeton and Penn were not at the breakfast and 25 kids were so ….

I’d say up to you but not necessary. Anything deemed as official academically will likely not be trusted / used if not from the school given all the lying discovered from societal’s leadership.

No one wants to admit the next Andy Ogles or George Santos

If the high school ranks, the GC will provide this information as part of the student’s application. If the high school doesn’t rank, which most now do not, I believe the GC gives the percentile in which that student places at their school.

A resume is meant to be a list of accomplishments/activities/jobs with a little more detail beyond what is seen on the activity section of the Common App. I see no reason to list class rank, especially when these days, most high schools do not rank, thus most students don’t know their rank, beyond top 5% or whatever.

2 Likes

Yes, note the class rank question in the middle of page 2 of The Common Application School Report to be filled in by the counselor.

Note also the check box questions at the bottom of page 2 for schools that do not explicitly rank students. The counselor is asked to say, for academic, extracurricular, personal, and overall, whether the student is “below average”, “average”, “good”, “very good”, top 10%, top 5%, or “one of the top few encountered in my career”.

2 Likes

so the GC’s fill out a form and have a box where they can check that a student is in fact in the top 5%?

1 Like

Yes, although at high schools where there is no formalized ranking, the counselor’s answer may be a subjective opinion about whether the student is top 5% for the academic achievement question. Of course, the extracurricular, personal, and overall questions are not formally ranked by high schools, so answering The Common Application ranking questions for those aspects is inherently a subjective determination by the counselor.

interesting I did not know GC had this choice available to communicate to schools. I thought it was either in their written recco or not at all. our hs does have a rank which they advertise that they do not advertise it (eyes rolling) yet all the kids still end up knowing their # I guess the GC can accurately click 5% since they have the data.

1 Like

Only submit a resume if it substantially expands on areas not covered by the common app or optional questions.

The admissions officers/readers tend to just become annoyed if they open a document and it is a regurgitation of everything in the common app or items they explicitly told you they did not need to know about - like 7 more ECs on top of the 1O listed in the Common App

Trust your counselor will indicate your class rank or percentile.

1 Like