Retro Credits

<p>Please excuse my ignorance, but I still do not fully understand the concept of retro credits/why they are beneficial/ what they are used for? Also, how does this (if in any way) reflect on what I should be taking/ course selection? any additional info on the topic would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Foreign language retro credits can give you higher class standing (junior instead of sophomore) which results in an earlier registration time which is beneficial for getting the classes you want at the times you prefer. They also may count toward the 120 credits needed to graduate.</p>

<p>For example, if you place into the 4th semester of a language, take it and get a B or better, you then get 12 credits for 1st, 2nd and 3rd semester of that language plus the 4 credits from the 4th semester class you took. Essentially 16 credits for taking one class.</p>

<p>Have you taken the language placement test yet and if so into which semester did you place?</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Wisconsin-Madison Language Institute](<a href=“http://www.languageinstitute.wisc.edu/content/uw_students/retroactive_credit_policy.htm]The”>http://www.languageinstitute.wisc.edu/content/uw_students/retroactive_credit_policy.htm)</p>

<p>It may or may not be worth taking the class depending on your major and if you are coming in with a lot of AP credit too. If it fits into your schedule as said above, it gives you higher class standing sooner and counts toward the 120 credits for graduation.</p>

<p>Yes I have taken the Placement test. I placed into Spanish 226. I am planning on majoring in International Business with a spanish certificate (bc I was told Madison does certificates instead of minors?) So given that what should my outlook be? LoL I’M just confused a bit.</p>

<p>also I found this…but still am confused lol.</p>

<p>School of Business
The School of Business requires that all BBA students should have completed either three years of a single high school foreign language or three semesters of a single college language course. Any language credits granted for a foreign language studied in high school are in addition to the 120 credits required for graduation from the School of Business. </p>

<p>Retro credits will be granted if a student fulfills the requirements before having earned 30 degree credits, but these credits do not count toward the 120 credits needed for graduation. They will, however, appear on the student’s transcript. </p>

<p>Advising: <a href=“mailto:busundergrads@bus.wisc.edu”>busundergrads@bus.wisc.edu</a></p>

<p>top</p>

<p>Ok, it appears the school of business doesn’t count retro credits toward the 120 for graduation. Don’t you need to take Spanish 226 for a Spanish certificate anyway? Did you find anywhere whether the retro credits give you advanced standing for the school of business? Different schools have different policies and it seems retro credits aren’t as useful in the school of business.</p>

<p>FBall4/annoyingdad: Regarding retro credits and graduation: That’s old information that is no longer applicable to more recently admitted students. </p>

<p>i.e. Foreign Language Retro Credits DO count toward the 120 needed for B-School graduation for students who matriculated Summer 2008 and later.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/advising/documents/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/advising/documents/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Look near the top of the page, for this phrase:</p>

<p>The following requirements are for students who matriculate
to a post-secondary institution in the Summer of 2008 and thereafter</p>

<p>Then look under the Liberal Studies Curriculum section near the bottom of the page, under Foreign Language for this:</p>

<p>Foreign Language 3 units (or more) of the same foreign language (1 unit =1 year high school or 1 semester college).<br>
For. lang. retro-credits will be included in the 120 degree credits needed for BBA degree.</p>

<p>Oh my god… so now my retro credits are actually useful huh?
thank you so much for the great information.</p>