Returning to School and Raising Toddler

Hello[quote=“Kolbey_Robinson, post:1, topic:3600800, full:true”]
I am 19 and a stay at home mom of a 1 year old. I am starting school this semester and have to register for classes soon, of course I’m going to ask an adviser as well but I’d like to hear some people’s opinions.

I have no idea how many courses to take. I do live with my boyfriend and he works during the day. I am planning on getting my bachelor’s degree in health and society and I want to do it as quickly as possible. I was planning on taking 2-3 a semester and 1-2 during the summer. So if i do 3 a semester and 2 during the summer I would get my bachelors in 4.5-5 years i think which sounds great to me.

Do you think it’ll be too much with a toddler? We also might have another one on the way but we don’t know yet.
[/quote]

1 Like

I would start off with one class (I know that financial aid requires two, so do that if you have to). But if you can afford it, just one. Toddlers need a lot of attention and soon your one year old will be walking, which means more supervision. And before you know it your kid will be in school when you will be freer.

Is your boyfriend supportive? Do you have other family members to help?

Are you working at all right now?

Would you take your classes online?

Your kid is little only once and you can take classes over a period of time. If the hurry is financial related to getting jobs, maybe try community college with a health-related 2 year degree or certificate- at least at first. CC’s tend to be understanding.

Smith College has the Ada Comstock program for non-traditional students. I think they accommodate moms. There is the UMass University without Walls. Other programs for adults. Other ideas?

Above all take care of yourself and don’t overdo. You are young and have the rest of your life. One of my kids just got her BA at 30.

5 Likes

What is your childcare situation going to be? That’s the most important factor.

As a mom with a baby and a toddler, I went back to (the equivalent of online) college for a masters degree. I took two courses, both requiring a lot of reading and writing. I’m sorry to say it didn’t go well. I had a paid nanny and I simply couldn’t manage the work. The needs of the children sucked all my time, even with paid help. I had to drop the courses.

It may not be the same for you. But I would start with only one class and see how you manage the time.

If you aren’t expecting again, and you’re determined to get a degree, perhaps hold off having more kids until your current baby is older and a little more self sufficient. I think in my case, it was the baby that made the situation unworkable. It would have been difficult enough with just one child.

2 Likes

Does your intended college have a student parent association? Does your intended college have a childcare program (some do and it is subsidized and quite affordable for students)? Does your intended college offer any special grants for student parents?

If you haven’t already, talk to your college. See what they offer. They may have support structures in place and other students sharing this same experience.

3 Likes

I think its great that you are continuing your education, and there are so many online options today as well which may offer more flexibility. Starting with 2 courses at a community college might be perfect-there are others in the same position as you and there is often support for student parents.
You might want to talk with the advisors about career options-I do not know if financial security is one of your priorities but there are many options at community college which lead to well paying careers.

What are your goals? A high-paying job, as quickly as possible, to help support your family? Then take a look at two year certifications that the community college offers in fields like healthcare, and plan for childcare so that you’re available for the full day of school that those healthcare certifications will require. Fulfillment of an educational dream or career dream? A first class or two toward the desired degree. Intellectual stimulation? A chance to get out of the house one night a week without the child, and just have 3 hours in the classroom that are all for you, learning together with others in person for self-fulfillment? Then a first class or two in fun subjects with a great teacher. Just a bachelor’s degree in something, so that you have set an example of educational achievement for your kids someday? Then, especially if you’re pregnant, identify CLEP exams that are accepted at your local community college, with a transfer agreement to your local state 4 yr college, and look at the website Modernstates.org for online lectures and vouchers for free CLEP exams, to start working towards the gen eds for the degree.

Definitely no more than two classes a semester, and I’d say even start with just one, unless the fin aid needs dictate that you take two. Depending upon how sick you get with pregnancy, you might be able to start this summer with one to two classes, and then take a break for fall semester, what with the newborn in the fall.

2 Likes

I did 15 credits with CLEP myself. You self-study then take a test, usually at the community college.

I just want to emphasize that you have plenty of time.

1 Like

Yes, CLEP is not often discussed here on CC, but it’s a really great way to get course credit without the time or monetary investment of actually attending classes.

Also agree that if you want to earn money by getting some kind of qualification, see what certificate programs are offered at your local community college.

Getting a BA doesn’t have to be a sprint. I took six years, but that was with no kids.

1 Like

There was a woman in one of my classes who started crying at the first class. She explained that she had 3 kids and this was her last class after doing 17 years of college,

3 Likes