Reviewed-Decision Pending

It would be great to hear from McGill applicants from this year or previous years who had the status “Reviewed- decision pending.” How many of you ended up getting in, waitlisted or rejected? For how long did you have this status?

2 Likes

From looking at old threads, my understanding is that McGill ranks students according to some metric, then gradually admits students from the top and rejects students from the bottom of this ranking. Students in the middle may stay in this RDP status for a long time. If you look at last year’s thread, there are several applicants who reported being on RDP status until the very end of April (4/27 or 4/28). It seems sort of like a wait list, but it’s technically a different status than the wait list.

What is mysterious to me is why a seemingly non-holistic process takes so long? If they can convert each student’s application into a non-holistic metric, why can’t they release a decision sooner (either admit, deny, or wait list)?

1 Like

I agree with all you said. I found an interesting thread on this very topic from 2011-old! But CC was much more active then and I think it gave a good cross section of applicants in this category. Most seemed to get admitted which was hopeful. But, I’m not sure how representative this is for current times.

I think they are creating the threshold as they go so those applicants just a bit above last year’s threshold end up in this category until they complete their review. But, there is certainly randomness and inconsistency!

1 Like

Canadian students are admitted last due to emphasis on grade 12 and CEGEP marks. Depending on those numbers they can then admit more international applicants closer to the cutoff minima.

1 Like

Ah, that’s a good point. The applications aren’t actually complete until they receive the midterm grades for US applicants, and whatever semi-final grades they use to evaluate Canadian students (I’m mostly ignorant about the various Canadian school systems :rofl:).
So they might not have enough information to determine the cutoffs until more applications are complete.

Is there anyone in this category (RDP) who has had a status change?

Previous years’ threads show decisions on this status happening in April and May. So this lag seems to be par for the course.

Unfortunately, April and May may be much too late for many applicants as dorm deposits, tuition deposits and acceptances are almost all due 5/1/23

Nothing. It has been RDP since early January. Application submitted in October 2022. Fall semester final grades submitted 12/22/22. It would be interesting to know how many admits in general are occurring now or is everyone in a holding pattern

1 Like

That is unfortunately the case. But it’s worth being ready for that time frame in case you are lucky enough to have some flexibility in your options.

1 Like

In the thread I linked above from 2011 (much more active then so bigger sample of RDP decisons!), many started hearing in mid March. But I think over the last few years, there has been a shift to April based on the more limited recent threads. I’m guessing like every other university, McGill has a greater number of applicants and shifting admit standards. making it harder for them to move quickly through the RDP group. I do share your frustration re US IBDP applicants. I’m still hoping for the best as McGill is so appealing but this gets challenging as time goes on.

1 Like

My son’s application has had this status for over a month now. Hoping to get good news soon and then visit in April. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

4 Likes

We’ve been RDP since early Feb after requested S1 grades were submitted at the end of January. Still waiting and hoping!!

Same

Same

RDP (Arts-Extenuating) for a month…really hoping we hear something before May 1st (so I can stop the daily checking of the portal!).

Just wondering if anyone has tried to send any additional information once they received RDP. Any recent arts admissions (from a status of RDP?).

My son has been on pending review for more than a month now. I guess he is in the “middle” in the “grey zone” and it’s been frustrating. But we have no choice, we are going to commit to a US college bc students are starting to chose their dorm and see. Good luck everyone.

1 Like