Revisiting an old thread: Is UGA becoming the Michigan of the South?

don’t we also have to factor in that UGA might have required SAT/ACT scores, while Michigan stayed test-optional? this will mean lower average scores for UGA for sure.

2 Likes

Maybe athletes not included in admissions stats but included in enrolled stats? Many football players start early but are part of Fall class. NCAA requires a 17 ACT.

The colleges where football recruits go after graduating a semester early from HS are generally big enough that football players stats wouldn’t impact the overall class stats (such as at UGA). Of course many football players have above average stats too.

NCAA does not have a test requirement anymore. The only requirements are GPA and number of core courses.

If the stats are true, it probably means that there are a lot of really smart kids who has Georgia as a safety school.

1 Like

according to US News:

UGA middle 50% scores are 1270-1450 SAT, and 29-33 ACT.
Michigan middle 50% scores are 1360-1530 SAT and 31-35 ACT.

UGA is no slouch in scores and is likely on the rise.

The fact that UM will take people test optional seems like it could account for a lot of this difference. Also the fact that UM takes many more out of staters while UGA tries to take 80% from in-state.

And for those of you who are not big fans of using test scores, what metric can we use to say the UM kids are vastly superior to the UGA kids?

Additionally, UGA prioritizes accepting kids from every county in the entire state, not just those with the top stats. As long as a GPA/test score threshold is met, the valedictorian and salutatorian from every accredited school in the state receive automatic admission… and there are kids in rural areas with few resources who have high GPAs but less-impressive test scores.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the institutional goals and legislative mandates are completely different. But I guarantee there are smart kids at both and a smart kid will find his/her people and be given every opportunity to succeed.

1 Like

Still though I wonder why the difference in the UGA website and CDS.

It’s a huge discrepancy. Is it in error or is there an answer ? Does anyone talk to David Graves or is there a way to ask through the blog ?

1 Like

Isnt that true for a lot of state schools?

The University of Texas is a good example. Under state law, 90% of first year students must be from Texas.

If Texas was allowed to pick and choose from whoever they wanted, their stats would probably be very close to Michigan.

Texas OOS is almost impossible, especially for competitive majors like CS, Business and Engineering.

Bottom line. We’re just talking about subjective rankings. Georgia is a really good school as are many flagship universities throughout the country.

3 Likes

Probably. And I have no problem with a state school prioritizing supporting its residents. My only point is this comparison of UGA and UM is a bit of apples and oranges because the models are so different (and have been for years).

2 Likes

That website link is for UGA Class of 2026 admitted students, the 2022-23 CDS reflects enrolled students only.

1 Like

I’m sure you could ask on the blog and get an answer since David Graves is so transparent.

My guess would be in line with @CFP that the enrollment yield for the highest stat students is low so enrolled stats vs admitted stats reflect that.

2 Likes

I get that. But a 5 point difference on act, for example, seems implausible.

This thread is a bit funny to me. Different people have different perspectives…
Here is mine. I used to live in Atlanta, GA. I moved to NE long time ago.
I have noticed UGA rising in rankings. It surprised me. I was not following it rise. I’ve never cared about UGA. I always knew that top schools in GA were Emory and GaTech. For most Emory was not possible due to money. During my time in GA UGA was just OK school.
Now UMICH vs UGA.
Where I live people are absolutely crazy about UMICH and, excuse my French, do not give a damn about UGA. In terms of prestige most are interested in Ivies, UMICH, JHU, Universities of California (any), UVA, UNC, MIT, CMU etc. You’ve got a picture.
UMich is absolutely not a back up for Ivy. It is very popular for many majors including top Engineering. (Sorry, Engineering at UGA is not even close to Umich.)
Here is anecdotal experience of one of my DD. She was interested in BME. Never considered any Ivy. In fact, she told us she is refusing to apply to Ivy (we never encouraged it). Applied to Umich, CMU, GaTech, CWRU, Rice, Duke, JHU, BU etc. She got in into first 4 listed. Her classmates knew where she got in (bragging rights) and could not understand why she did not go to Umich. Just because of stupid popularity she would go to Umich (despite cold weather that she hates) if we would allow, but we were not interested in 80k tuition. Do you know reaction from local people adults and kids? “You passed on Umich? Really? Why? I guess Gatech is OK school, but why did not you pick Umich?” Only DD’s explanation that GaTech is 2nd in BME and Umich is 6th could make people to shut up… :roll_eyes:
Do you get a pictire? Sorry, UGA is not in it…

I don’t think so with an n of 6100 matriculants and accepted of 16,600. Regardless, I expect if you reach out to David Graves he would be happy to answer.

ETA: This may also be impacting the admitted/enrolled ranges:

ACT Composite mid-range for students: 31-34

• Remember, UGA focuses on ACT E and M. For reporting purposes, we give out the best score overall ACT score, but the ACT E and M are very similar to the overall score.
  • This data is based on admitted students where the ACT was the strongest score if both SAT and ACT were submitted or if the ACT was the only test taken and sent.
1 Like

Maybe not many kids who apply to Georgia take the ACT and therefore if you take out some top ACT scores, it really skews the numbers.

It’s difficult unless they tell you the amount of people who took and submitted the ACT.

Agree, that could explain some of the difference. Proportion who submitted each test is in the CDS for enrolled students (don’t have it for admitted students)

For clarity, note that 5 points is the difference at UGA’s 25th percentile. At its 75th percentile, the difference is 2 points. The inferred shift in its median may be 3.5 points.

While I get your point, I don’t think that UGA can be classified as a true safety (as typically defined) for anyone these days. A review of the deferrals and rejections on the UGA blog and CC opened my eyes to this reality. Our GA high school college counselors even spell that out to parents in the college planning meeting junior year… UGA is a much more difficult admission than “back in your day, peeps”. I’m sure the perceptions are even more dated out of state.

But that has nothing to do with this thread and any comparison to UM. Unless it indicates that they are not as far apart in selectivity as a decade ago? I stand by my statement that there are smart kids and fantastic opportunities for kids at both of these fine schools.

3 Likes

Their CDS filings, using enrolled students, have these at:
U Ga: 1220 - 1400
Mich: 1350 - 1530

Why would anyone want to say that UM kids are vastly superior to UGA kids? They are different schools and appeal to different kids, with some overlap but probably not that much overlap. My impression is that Mich is a higher profile, less regional, and more popular destination for kids who are extremely well qualified academically, yet still not quite competitive at tippy top institutions. Many of these kids are wealthy and can afford (and are willing to pay) the out-of-state freight. I don’t think UGA draws as heavily on this demographic, but that doesn’t mean the Mich kids are “superior.”

3 Likes

Even using standardized testing information, the substantial overlap in profiles for these schools seems worth noting. That is, UGA’s 75th percentile SAT and ACT levels are higher than UM’s 25th percentile levels. By this aspect, these are not statistically incomparable schools.

1 Like