Rice ECE vs UIUC CE vs Cornell ECE

I fortunately have gotten accepted to Rice and UIUC and expect to get into Cornell for engineering. I don’t know which one would be best for me. I’ll list what I value in schools.

1. A personalized experience where I feel like I can talk to professors or seek unique opportunities like research. I think Rice and Cornell might be the best in this aspect because of their smaller student bodies.

2. A friendly and open student body that isn’t very competitive, Greek life heavy, or cliquey. I’d say I’m more introverted than extroverted and am not a huge party/sports lover

3. A very strong computer engineering program and facilities. I know that UIUC is the highest ranked according to USNEWS in this aspect. It’s ranked like #4 in computer engineering while Cornell is top 10 and rice is ranked top 30 for engineering overall. I’m not sure how good these rankings really are as a metric though.

4. Good internship, grad school, and job prospects. I strongly value having good opportunities for jobs outside and during college. I’m not sure if I’ll pursue grad school but I want to leave my options open.

5. Price: not a huge deciding factor for me but something to consider. UIUC gave me no aid so the estimated cost is 62k. Rice gave me 38k in aid so the estimated cost is about 42k. Cornell I expect to give me a similar amount of aid to Rice because they are a generous private institution.

I’d appreciate any of your insights!

Go to Rice

4 Likes

I would go with UIUC if price is not a concern.

If you can deal with the dreary winters, go to Cornell. This will leave open non engineering career options a bit more, even with an engineering’ degree.

All of your options are comparable in these areas

As will be most of your classmates at all of your options. Remember that you will effectively be at a school within the larger school.

Yeah…so you are unlikely to have much time for a job outside of college during term time at any of your choices. Buckle up: the work load is intense.

Does that mean ‘would rather not spend the money, but we have it’ or does that mean that debt will be required? If debt is on the table, and as you don’t have a clear favorite in the group, do your future self a favor and choose a non-debt / less-debt option. Even though you will walk out of college into a well paying job, loan payments eat into that pretty fast!

Overall I agree with @SouthYankie: Rice. But be honest with yourself: how friendly and open are you in a new setting? Lots of introverted students are friendly once you get to know them- but they don’t necessarily come across that way when you first meet them / in unfamiliar situations. Be realistic on this no matter what school you pick.

1 Like

Can you attend admitted student days at any of the schools you listed? Sometimes those give you a better feel of the vibe on campus and you hopefully get to spend more time there to interact with and observe the study body.

My daughter goes to Rice and was accepted at UIUC where both myself and her father went. Her father was an engineering major at UIUC, though admittedly it was a long time ago so I’m sure things have changed!

A personalized experience where I feel like I can talk to professors or seek unique opportunities like research.

You can definitely get this at Rice. It’s a smaller school with a smaller grad population so professors rely on undergrads for help with research, teaching assistants, etc. My daughter had a cool engineering design type internship on campus one summer and has been asked to TA quite a few times. She hasn’t done research (by choice) but many of her friends have done it since freshmen or sophomore years. My daughter did an independent engineering design type project for credit one year and got so much help and support. My husband often comments that the experience she is getting at Rice is so much more hands on than what he got at UIUC and she is so much better prepared for the workforce.

A friendly and open student body that isn’t very competitive, Greek life heavy, or cliquey. I’d say I’m more introverted than extroverted and am not a huge party/sports lover

I don’t know a lot about Cornell but I was under the impression it had a more competitive reputation. I have no idea if that is accurate though. I don’t remember UIUC being particularly competitive and it’s a large enough school that you will have a variety of students there and should be able to find your tribe. UIUC has Greek life and pretty big time sports but they don’t dominate the social life - you can choose not to participate and be fine socially. The very friendly atmosphere and non-competitive student body are my intorverted daughter’s favorite thing about Rice (next to O-Week and Beer Bike). I swear they try to admit nice kids. My daughter says the students are competitive with themselves but not each other. Students don’t really talk about grades and compare and they do lots of study groups and such to help one another out. Sports are not a big thing which is a downside to some. Some students go to lots of games but most do not. My daughter has gone to smaller sporting events (girls socceer, volleyball, cross cross country, etc.) to cheer on friends. Again, admitted student days might help you get a better idea of the atmosphere at each school.

Good internship, grad school, and job prospects. I strongly value having good opportunities for jobs outside and during college. I’m not sure if I’ll pursue grad school but I want to leave my options open.

I would think all of these are well respected enough that you would have good opportunities during college and after. One thing I have commented on to my husband after watching my daughter go through the grad school application process this year is that I think an advantage she had is that she really knows her professors. It’s a smaller school and there are several professors she’s had for classes multiple times. She’s been asked to TA for them, she was asked to work on a project with 2 of them, one was sort of a mentor for an independent project she did, etc. So her recommendation letters were very strong since they had substantial things to say about her (besides this was a good student who I had in one class). I’m not saying you can’t get these experiences or good recommendations at the other schools, but you might have to work a little harder for them when there is a big student body.

I know this was very pro-Rice since my daughter has had such a good experience there, but I really think you need to decide what school is the best “fit” for you. All are great options with different pros and cons.

Good luck!!!

5 Likes

These are all great admission offers. Start thinking about the other things you want in a college…like location, weather, etc.

From what you posted about yourself and your preferences, my vote would also be for Rice.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pay $20,000 more for UIUC than Rice, unless you were into big-time sports, party scene, etc. – things you typically find at a Big Ten flagship U. But it doesn’t sound like you’re into those things. So save the ~$80k.

Now, if you get into Cornell and their COA is similar to Rice’s, then you have a fun decision to make. Cornell has its charms too. Both will be excellent in Engineering/CS in general. Choose on fit, and you won’t go wrong.

2 Likes

Rice is what you described.

Good internship, grad school, and job prospects.

It doesn’t matter if you go to Rice, UIUC, or Cornell, this will be on you. The schools will help with listings and workshops and even have some on campus (in person or virtual) interview opportunities - but this doesn’t matter where you go (and that’s beyond these three). The go getters win. The ones who sit back and expect it to happen - won’t.

As for during college - between class and studying, you won’t have time. Hopefully you will have time to pick up a hobby or two or join a club - but you are about to be consumed by a level of academia that you had no idea was possible.

Two great choices - I’m not going to assume Cornell - but the Rice Residential College system will probably be a wonderful thing for a student like yourself.

2 Likes

I have many friends who went to UIUC for undergrad.
Not a single one of them would recommend their alma mater over Cornell or Rice …
In fact - it wouldn’t even compute in their heads how one would even consider that.

All fantastic acceptances so congrats!

There is no doubt that any of these colleges can set you up extraordinarily well for the future. And there is no one answer that would be right for everyone. So the question becomes which college is the best fit for YOU. Based on how you describe yourself and what you are looking for in a college Rice sounds like a wonderful landing spot.

If possible you can try to re-visit your top couple of options and hopefully one school will feel like the right fit.

As an aside I would not pay a premium to attend UIUC over Rice or Cornell.

3 Likes

Good for them.
Also,
I think you may have typed the opposite of what you may have meant.

Hmmm - I just read you say that Cornell would give more options and get told that is terrible advice.

But yes, I think the statement was changed.

I looked at it more as when I think of Cornell, I think of Greek and Competitive and when I think of Rice, I think of collaborative and no greek/strong res life.

When I think of the happy factor - Cornell is downright a gorgeous campus in a cool town but dreary in winter. At it’s much larger than Rice… Rice is a really nice campus - bummed my daughter was turned down - would be a nice visit. UIUC - and it’s all opinion - my kid didn;'t apply because he didn’t want to be miserable everyday. I know it’s a polarizing thought - and you have posters on here who said it’s wonderful and others say it’s run down / not invested in.

One really has to visit to determine for themselves which of the three is right for them.

It’s easy to make a recommendation from words - but nothing beats a visit.

Rice has the residential college system.

When my D22 was looking at colleges, her impression of Cornell was not of happy kids.

A visit clarifies a lot of stuff that online research just can’t.

1 Like

My son a freshman at CoE @ Cornell … very happy … surrounded by smart, happy kids …
Anyway, Cornell’s reputation as a pressure cooker is way overblown.

Having said all that … when we looked at Rice, we absolutely loved everything about the school. It’s a fantastic place.

UIUC - huge state school in a middle of nowhere … NOT easy to get to (neither is Cornell, actually - but for us NYC ppl it’s easy) … UIUC has pockets of true excellence (like CS, ECE , physics), but the level of students after that drops off significantly, whereas at Rice and Cornell OP would be surrounded by strong kids, no matter the major …

Also, from the experience of my friends who went there, UIUC like many state schools are very sink-or-swim and tend to WANT kids to weed out

3 Likes

Yea taking on debt is potentially on the table so it’s probably best to go with Rice. I’d say I’m pretty friendly and open to people in most settings and from what I’m reading it sounds like making friends isn’t a challenge at rice. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

can you elaborate on why?

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective! Rice sounds like it might be a good fit for me based on what you shared. I actually have visited rice last year in September and I was actually a bit apprehensive about it but I think it was mostly because of the very hot weather. I’m from new york so I’m not really used to the heat but I think I can get used to it.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the advice. I was mostly focused on post college opportunities. Like the name-recognition/ prestige for job interviews or grad school applications.