Rice ECE vs UIUC CE vs Cornell ECE

are you meaning to say that Rice and Cornell are way better than UIUC? I think that’s the general sentiment from this thread but I think I’ve heard differing opinions from others and from reddit. People tend to place a high value on UIUC’s CS and computer engineering programs. I think overall though Rice and Cornell are better fits for me.

I totally agree with what you’re saying. I think being in a school where everyone around you is smart is much better than being isolated around kids in the same major as you

1 Like

You are a top student out of hs so it’s likely you’ll be a top student at grad school time.

But an average student at Rice with average test scores won’t trump a stud from Boise State with awesome scores.

As long as the school is abet accredited, you’ll find a solid job. Even if it was U Houston and not Rice. And if you are a great or solid student, you’ll find a solid or even top grad school.

But are these highly respected names?

Yes

You will be there four years, day after day. You want to be happy.

That’s why you need to choose the right one - and affordability is a part of fit i.e. the right one.

1 Like

Very true

I BELIEVE that both Rice and Cornel offer a superior package.

2 Likes

Based on what you wrote, Rice is both a better fit and a cheaper choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are from Wisconsin so I get the concern about the weather in Houston. But after being there for 4 years my daughter refuses to move back north. She just feels like the really cold weather depresses her and she’d rather be hot than freezing. She appreciates that there is more sunlight in the south, especially in the winters. That all said it is pretty darn hot there in the summer months. It gets a lot nicer in the fall through the spring.

2 Likes

Great, that’s very reassuring!

1 Like

Omg year round weather, assuming warmth is good - way way way better in Houston. If you had to choose one or the other for all 365 days.

1 Like

Since you are qualifying for some financial aid, the 80k is likely to be significant to your family.

1 Like

UIUC has strong programs, for sure. But if you polled UIUC engineering students as to how many of them would have taken the option to pursue the same major at Rice for 20K/year less, I think you’d get an awful lot of takers!!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.