Rice Image Upload "The Box"

The prompt is given as such: “In keeping with Rice’s long-standing tradition (known as ‘The Box’), please share an image of something that appeals to you. See the Help Section for more information.”

I did some googling and it seems like I’m supposed to draw an image in put it in a box and take a picture of it. That and I shouldn’t use real rice (the food) or owl (the animal).

Given that some applicants are not very artistically inclined, would it be ok to take a picture of something like a pet dog and upload it? Or find an image on the internet (which would probably be copyrighted)?

Thanks!

The image does not have to be your own artistic work. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine if you use an image from the Internet. Most images are not copyrighted, and even if they were, you are not selling or posting the image for profit, or claiming that it is your own original work.

Thanks ScienceGirlMom for the clarification!

Have other students from your school gotten into Rice? I’ve followed about 6 different high schools now. Definite pattern. Forget it if there isn’t a history of students getting into Rice. Don’t get it tho.

@lostaccount I’m pretty sure people from my school get into Rice. We send people to all over. I should have the qualifications for a chance I think. I think I’ll at least try since I got a fee waiver anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

@lostaccount I have to disagree. My S was the first from his school to get in. It can happen.

I went through the same moral dilemma about a month back! It got to the point where everything was done except for that accursed box. The admission’s counselor actually came pretty much the next day to my school and when asked, told me it was just something to break up the monotony of applications more or less, and to not stress about it. I ended up putting some really yummy looking vegetarian sushi :slight_smile: I don’t think you can go wrong with the box.

We’ve had one girl from my school attend Rice - a very scholarly, scientific girl. What did she put in her Box? A picture of Spongebob. Seriously. I have been told that The Box should be treated as a way to show another side of you that has yet to be highlighted in your essays. I’m taking this advice, and just going to have fun with it! And because my application is rather serious, I’m putting a picture of a puppy playing in the snow. I’ve found it’s a lot more enjoyable process when I just have fun with it. :slight_smile:

Wait, I didn’t see a section on the common app to upload? I was given the option to either send it by email or mail. I sent an email with a jpg attachment, my name, CAID, and birthdate. Is that wrong?