Rice RD 2026

It’s a waitlist weekend for us.
Kiddo - waitlisted CMU, Rice, and Northwestern.

1 Like

I am a bit confused at this time. Rice and WashU were her dream schools (she got rejected in WashU). My daughter also wants to eventually be a Doctor and I would prefer she completes her education without any loans. I have another kid 5 years younger who also aspires to be a Doctor :slight_smile:

So with all said: My dilemma is 30K at UT vs 80K at Rice per year. I am still not able to digest paying 200K more. I am sure I can scrape the amount if I need to, but I feel it’s a bit much. D22 understands my situation and I have promised to pay her Medical School if she goes to UT which she deeply appreciates, but I can see in her eyes the chance on missing going to Rice :frowning:
I wish Rice would have given at least some scholarship and then this would have been far easy for me.

2 Likes

This physician would absolutely recommend the less expensive undergrad and save the 200k to put toward med school.

I went to expensive private liberal arts college (Bryn Mawr) and Cornell for med school. My daughter was 16 and getting ready to apply to college before I finished paying off my own loans. Med school is astronomically priced compared to 25 years ago and it was expensive then. Compensation in many specialties does not warrant a higher price tag for undergrad and med school as many young docs are now struggling to pay off 300k+ in loans.

Congrats on these great acceptances. Wishing the best for your daughter. We need to keep great young talent coming into medicine!

10 Likes

My daughter didn’t get any need-based scholarship. 100k(25K/year) + 5K one time was a merit scholarship. Nothing was mentioned in the acceptance letter but there were two separate letters on her portal with merit scholarship details.

6 Likes

Any chance of folks on the waiting list to get any merit aid at all? If anyone has any information, please do share.

Thanks @Houston1021 - I was just about to post this article as well.

Application numbers have been up everywhere! Congrats to those admitted - happy to answer any questions from those with tough decisions. My daughter is a junior Mechanical Engineering student at Rice - she has loved every minute of her time there - except for when they had to send everyone home when COVID first hit.

6 Likes

Merit scholarships at Rice are not as plentiful as they are at some schools. Rice’s focus is need based aid. If Rice admits a student off the waitlist, Rice would award need based aid but probably no merit.

2 Likes

Does anyone know previos stats on getting acceptance off the waitlist? And when those decisions are made?

DD accepted his waitlist spot to Rice, but has already accepted admission to UT Austin (in order to sign up for housing, orientation, etc., otherwise spots fill up.)

1 Like

Last year it was about 8% acceptance off the waitlist but I saw some years where it was 0.001%. They have a new undergrad business major and it seems they still admitted 2700 in total, which is about the same as previous years. Not sure if that means they plan to dip into the waitlist or not.

You can check the common data set for Rice (google it) and it has the waitlist stats.

Decisions seem to be made late April and through July with majority in May once deposits come in.

2 Likes

Have you been able to find a spot on the portal for LOCI? Can’t seem to find, but I’m probably being stupid haha.

1 Like

There is a drop down option for additional documents in your portal where you can upload it.

Under which tab? Just general application?

1 Like

My son went down to his documents where they have the waitlist acceptance and all other documents with the green check marks. There is a drop down at the very bottom and you can select waitlist document for upload.

I wish my daughter had received something similar and I would have been happy to pay the difference :slight_smile:
My daughter is planning to appeal based on certain change in circumstances. Hopefully something works out.

1 Like

I really appreciate your inputs and I took a screenshot and showed it to my daughter. She understands the situation, but even I feel bad about the whole thing as she is the only person in her school who probably got into Rice and when we visited Rice, she really loved it there (not that she does not like UT, but Rice was something she absolutely felt very comfortable)

1 Like

I hope an appeal will work to make the price tag a bit more affordable. There is no wrong answer, truthfully, but a large amount of loans can be a challenge if she desires a primary care specialty since they are much lower paying than other specialties. Choosing a specialty based on income and not the love and passion one has for it does not lead to added happiness so that isn’t really a good approach either. Wishing her the best in making this difficult choice!

Here is a link for Rice’s Common Data Set. You can compare the wait list activity for various years. Last year, Rice admitted 2555 students, 3151 were offered places on the wait list, 2045 accepted places on the wait list, and 156 were admitted off the wait list. Other years, Rice has not dipped into the wait list much at all. It is best to commit to a school by May 1 that you are happy to attend and get excited about that school. If Rice pulls you off the wait list, then you will have a decision to make.Common Data Set | Office of Institutional Effectiveness | Rice University

3 Likes

Thanks. It appears they admitted fewer this year by at least 50 versus last year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Not sure if there was a gap year impact felt last year with kids coming back in 2021, and I wonder what they are targeting for enrollment this fall given their growth plans.

Glad to hear that she is happy there. I’m taking my daughter to the admitted day event on April 11th. I hope she likes the school.

2 Likes