Rice University: Double major across colleges?

Anyone here who has majored in both physics and CS at Rice? I think they are housed in two different schools- arts and sciences and engineering. I’m just trying to understand how the application process would work and if that’s even doable! I’ll also ask the school, but just looking for any real world experience. Thanks!

1 Like

Rice does not admit by major so it doesn’t really impact the application process at all. They may ask what you expect to major in on your application but students are free to change majors (and can do so super easily) and don’t have to declare a major until towards the end of sophomore year. And even then, you can still change it.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Many students are able to double major or do a minor in addition to their major at Rice because Rice is very accepting of AP credits. Rice’s distribution requirements require students to to take some classes across the different colleges. Some students discover a passion and decide to major in something completely unrelated to what they put on the application. The only majors that are not open to all students are architecture and music which require audition and/or portfolio. The indication of major(s) on the application just gives Rice an insight into the student’s interest. Rice does not admit by “school” such as engineering, humanities, etc as some universities do.

2 Likes

@Houston1021,

Can you enter as a Shepherd School of Music applicant and add/declare a second non-music major later on? Many thanks!