Rice University Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Rice University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Hey Everybody…

4.0 UW
35 ACT
CS
From southern CA

Anyone else out there no anxiously awaiting mid-December?

1 Like

yes

2 Likes

Hello! My daughter applied ED to Rice. The counselor submitted the transcript before first marking period grades came out. I’m seeing on the website that Rice encourages students to submit first marking period grades. Is anyone else doing this? It’s not required so it doesn’t seem like it’s something Rice will request if missing. I asked the counselor about it and she didn’t seem to know about this and only knew about sending the mid year report. Also i think our high school transcripts only include semester grades anyway. My daughter’s grades were good so I wanted her to send them. She said there was only the option to send a resume on the part where you could upload additional documents. I told her to contact the admissions office but she doesn’t seem to think she needs to send her first marking period grades. Just wondering if anyone else is submitting theirs. If so, is your counselor doing it or are you sending an unofficial copy to them? Thanks for any help!

Yes, waiting here for D24’s ED decision…! good luck to everyone.

3.9 UW, 4.4 W
35 ACT
Physics/ CS
10 AP classes
Strong arts/ music ECs
Private college prep school in the southwest

I guess if it helps her case, then send them in.

S24’s stats is similar. 3.9 UW, 4.4 W. 34 ACT. IB program. Public school in the Northeast.

1 Like

Good luck to your son!

2 Likes

Good luck to both of our children!

forgot to mention his intended major is neuroscience.

1 Like

If you’d like to send them have your daughter (not a parent) contact her admissions counselor and ask if they would like them and if so could she email them.

1 Like

We did not submit first quarter grades, as they are not on her transcript.

1 Like

I wasn’t going to send them unless requested to do so. Where did you see that Rice likes to see them?

on the admission page

I just read the section where it says they are encouraged to send first marking period grades - we are going to send in her first quarter grades, then, especially since they are all As.
Thanks for pointing this out, @Winky72 & @bonnieyd . I’m filing it under “things high schoolers may miss in application process” :crazy_face:

It is under Application Policies and Procedures/ High School Requirements:

Official Transcripts
Official high school/secondary school transcripts must include grades from 9th through 11th grade as well as courses being taken in the 12th grade. Early Decision applicants are encouraged to submit first marking period grades, when they become available. Regular Decision applicants will be required to submit mid-year grades from 12th grade, when they become available.

1 Like

For those of you already submitted your ED apps, did you see this 3rd supplemental essay on your common app? My son is applying RD, but this 3rd essay wasn’t populated on his list of essays on common app.

1. Please respond to one of the following prompts to explore how you will contribute to the Rice community:
  • The Residential College System is at the heart of Rice student life and is heavily influenced by the particular cultural traditions and unique life experiences each student brings. What life experiences and/or unique perspectives are you looking forward to sharing with fellow Owls in the residential college system? 500 word limit.

• Rice is strengthened by its diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders and change agents across the spectrum of human endeavor. What perspectives shaped by your background, experiences, upbringing, and/or racial identity inspire you to join our community of change agents at Rice? 500 word limit.

Yes, S24 picked the one about the Residential College System.

Was that essay question on your son’s common app? It doesn’t show up on my son’s. I only saw that question when I was checking the Rice Admissions website.

Yes, He submitted Rice app through the common app.