Rice vs UT Austin for Pure Math Undergrad Program

Any insights on choosing between the two for Pure Math path. Do they offer upper level courses for undergrad, any flexibility ? What are my options of combining dual majors between schools( Math and CS , or Math and Engineering)
Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Have you done a deep dive in the course offerings of each? Prof research? The academic catalogs will also have all of the details on how to double major, which will allow you to map out a 4 year plan. Once you do all of that research, you may find you prefer one vs the other from an academic standpoint.

Obviously the vibes of these schools are very different…which appeals more from that perspective?

You can look at the course catalogues (should be online) to see the offerings of the two schools. You should also be able to check out the professors in the department online and get a sense of their background/research etc.

My gut feeling is that they are two great schools with different atmospheres and you should go to the university where you feel you will thrive. Congrats on the wonderful acceptances.

Pure Mathematics @ UT Austin

FWIW, my son was accepted at the UT Austin Cockrell School of Engineering for EE. At an in-person Cockrell presentation, students were told that changing into another engineering major would be very difficult (practically impossible because of class caps), and adding an engineering minor would be very difficult as well, whereas there would be no problem adding a business minor or some other from a different school.

I’d strongly recommend that you at least attend virtual presentations at both schools and ask these questions so you can make an informed decision.
Congrats on your acceptances!

2 Likes

Thank You so much , it is very helpful.

1 Like

If you are interested in CS a bit more than Math, then you should consider the Turing honors program for CS at UT Austin. It is really good. Very hard to get into. They make some 100-120 offers a year, have a 1000 applicants, and roughly a 50% yield. This CS program tends to lean towards math, and is research focused.

1 Like

For math, you can check the faculty rosters and course catalogs to see what upper level (and graduate level) math courses are available.

For adding a second major, you can do the same in the other subject, but you should also check how easy or difficult it is to add the second major. UT Austin may be rather difficult to add a major in CS or engineering if you are not initially admitted in that major.

1 Like

Both of these schools appear to offer excellent math programs: For Students Seeking a College Strong in Mathematics.

1 Like