Ridgecrest South-South Tower info

<p>Hi, all. Seems the boys have now landed in Ridgecrest South-South Tower, Fifth Floor.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me about this dorm, this particular tower?</p>

<p>Room layouts, what floors the laundry and kitchen are on, amenities of the dorm, manned desk, RAs, parking, etc.</p>

<p>Son and his friends have lived the last three years in Riverside West and were planning to stay there, but for some reason, they are now all in Ridgecrest South-South.</p>

<p>Did this tower used to be non honors?</p>

<p>Are there problems with the dorm, that kids are picking rooms in other dorms rather than there?</p>

<p>In previous years, the towers, as I call them, filled up right away.</p>

<p>I’m perplexed as to why there are so many openings now.</p>

<p>This is the dorm that has the parking garage underneath, right?</p>

<p>Do you take an elevator from the parking garage right up to the dorm rooms?</p>

<p>Is there maybe less security because of this?</p>

<p>Just wanted to get a heads up on what will be a totally new experience for them.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>my daughter lived in both north and south…first floor. idk why there is so much availability. for the first couple years, everyone wanted to live there, because it was newest and maybe because it was what they saw on tours. now it is a few years old, so maybe the newness has worn off (also because there is something newer (presidential)).</p>

<p>the elevator from the parking garage does not go straight to the dorm floors. it goes to the street level entrance, and then you have to walk to the entrance. no security issues with regard to elevators going from the garage straight to the dorm floors.</p>

<p>there are some rooms on floor five that are a little bigger, i think. they may be listed on housing.</p>

<p>i am not sure about laundry and kitchens. 2 and 4 maybe, but i really don’t know. activity rooms on 3 and 5 maybe? idk.</p>

<p>there is a manned desk on the first floor.</p>

<p>For the current year the North tower is Honors and the South tower in Non-Honors for 2013-2014 both towers are Honors…that is why there are so many rooms left in RCS-S right now. </p>

<p>Laundry and Kitchen’s are on the 2nd and 4th floors</p>

<p>The rooms are smaller and set up differently than in RCW/RCE and Riversides…</p>

<p>RC South specs
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrestsouth/]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrestsouth/)</p>

<p>RC East/West
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrest/]Student”>Ridgecrest East and West Driving Directions - Housing and Residential Communities)</p>

<p>Montegut, I think CrimsonMom is right. Since South towers was non-honors last year, most students who were in that building last year probably elected to stay in the North tower. I also think that since they show the south tower to freshman, there might be more freshman requesting it this year (my theory). </p>

<p>I will tell you that during orientation I was in a 4 bedroom suite in one of the towers (I think South) and I was amazed how small I felt it was even though I was by myself. I liked that 2 rooms definitely had their bathroom defined but I thought the common room seemed cramped. When setting up my son in Riverside West, I couldn’t get over how big the common room seemed to me from what I remembered of the Ridgecrest room. I definitely preferred the Riverside West layout. My S chose to go to RCE because it is a similar layout (although I don’t know if the size of the rooms are the same.) However, alot prefer the tower layout and your son might too.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me what rooms are closer to the stairs, ie, at the end of the hall?</p>

<p>Son and his suitemates have always lived on the end of the hall, and I’m curious as to which rooms on the fifth floor of RCS-S are nearest the stairs.</p>

<p>On the bright side, having a smaller space might be a good thing. It will be son’s last year, and this will be an opportunity to do some much needed downsizing before moving out for the final time.</p>

<p>Thank you for all your help and I appreciate all the info.</p>

<p>506-510 should be the rooms closest to the end of the hall/stairs.</p>

<p>Saw another post where the poster mentioned no storage closets in the south/north towers.</p>

<p>We usually do use the storage closets for son’s printer box/suitcases.</p>

<p>Wanted to get a little more clarity on what son will be missing from his Riverside West layout as he moves into Ridgecrest South/South.</p>

<p>Thanks for any info.</p>

<p>There is no storage closet but the bed can be raised to put the dresser underneath–D also has a set of rolling drawers, printer box, suitcase, etc. stored under there as well. The bed isn’t too high up for her to get in without a step. No large pantry cabinet in the kitchenette but there is more counter space. D’s biggest complaint about the kitchen is the small size of the freezer area in the refrigerator. The laundry rooms are bigger with more washers and dryers and the parking underneath is great.</p>

<p>Are you referring to storage closets in the bedrooms? The bedroom has a large closet where DS keeps boxes, suitcase, etc.</p>

<p>In Riverside West, every suite had a storage closet outside the room, accessed by the hallway. This storage room is accessible by all members of the suite, and all four kids can use it to store their suitcases, printer boxes, etc. It’s not big enough for a bike, but it has plenty room for things that you would only need when traveling or packing up printers or other items to put in storage.</p>

<p>Son does have a couple of bookcases that he uses as shelves in his current room, but he’ll make do if he can’t fit those in. </p>

<p>Do the Ridgecrest South rooms have a dresser and desk, like the Riverside dorms do?</p>

<p>The housing site did not have a floorplan available last I checked, so sorry for all the questions.</p>

<p>Yes, there is a dresser with 3 or 4 (?) drawers and a desk with side cabinet unit with a small drawer that can be moved separately. D has her side unit next to her desk with her printer on it.</p>