Ridgecrest West Dimensions & Factoids

<p>In thinking about how to arrange the furniture in my son’s dorm room (based upon the floor plan) and what additional furnishings, if any, to purchase (e.g. bookshelf, etc.), I queried the housing office. Here is the data they provided:</p>

<p>*When the bed is fully lofted, the vertical clearance is “approximately 31 inches.”</p>

<p>*The desk is 32" wide, 30" high and 24" deep.</p>

<p>*The chest of drawers is 36" wide, 30" high and 24" deep.</p>

<p>Also:</p>

<p>*The nightstand has the capability of being locked; students will need to supply a
combination lock or padlock.</p>

<p>*The windows have venetian blinds.</p>

<p>*The ceiling height is approximately 9 feet.</p>

<p>*The shower comes with a rod and curtain/hooks.</p>

<p>*The kitchenette does not come with any utensils. A microwave and full size
refrigerator are the only kitchen items provided.</p>

<p>Here’s a link to the floor plan: <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/rvr_rdg_floorplans/RCW_FP_Rendering_01-05-09_be_FOUR.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/rvr_rdg_floorplans/RCW_FP_Rendering_01-05-09_be_FOUR.pdf</a></p>

<p>Hope this helps. I don’t know if these dimensions are identical in the other suites (i.e. Ridgecrest South, Lakeside, Riverside, etc.).</p>

<p>OMG! you ARE a girl! haha!</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>jk jk</p>

<p>thank you for that info. that is def. something i will be thinking about before we send her off!</p>

<p>when i am there and enjoying my luxurious digs, i will be armed with a tape measure measuring everything in sight!</p>

<p>let me know if there is something else you want to know about.</p>

<p>as of right now, we will be there june 15-17.</p>

<p>^^^

</p>

<p>A girl? No.
OCD? Definitely. </p>

<p>(I know you were kidding, Mike) :)</p>

<p>In case you are wondering, the shower also has a curtain. And the four-person table came with placemats. My son did not have a nightstand. He bought three plastic drawers and stacked them. Great for storage. (BTW, my son lived in Lakeside West.)</p>

<p>Here’s my question. In bedroom #4 (D) in the linked floorplan above, is there enough clearance to move the bed to the opposite wall? I know the figure shows that there isn’t but sometimes those aren’t to scale. </p>

<p>I’d prefer to have the bed running lengthwise along the left wall, and have the desk by the window.</p>

<p>NJBama, There should be enough room. If I remember correctly, my son’s girlfriend had her room set up that way (she changed it later in the year).</p>

<p>Cool, Thanks!!</p>

<p>*Here’s my question. In bedroom #4 (D) in the linked floorplan above, is there enough clearance to move the bed to the opposite wall? I know the figure shows that there isn’t but sometimes those aren’t to scale.</p>

<p>I’d prefer to have the bed running lengthwise along the left wall, and have the desk by the window.*</p>

<p>My older son has had that room before. I wouldn’t move the bed to that left wall. It would make the room too crunched when you walk in. I’m not even sure if you could open the door completely if the bed was moved there. In the pic, it’s showing the chest of drawers at the foot of the bed. That can either go under the lofted bed, or go against the wall by the closet. The way it is now, it kind of gets in the way of foot-traffic to the closet. </p>

<p>It’s actually better not to have the desk in front of the window. First of all, kids like to hang things above their desks…bulletin boards, white boards, etc. Some even get those kind of book cases that sit on top of a desk - so that books are right above you when at your desk.</p>

<p>Secondly, much of studying is done at night anyway, so the window isn’t really providing any light for desk needs. Besides, a lot of kids keep their blinds closed (or nearly closed) 24/7 so they don’t have to worry about anyone seeing in.</p>

<p>Last year we got a folding shelve unit at Target that sat on Ds desk . It was a perfect fit and gave her a lot of vertical storage space for books etc. The unit is still available on line and runs around $49 ! When I went to pick her up we just folded flat and loaded it to the storage unit (thanks mom2). Out of staters should check them out in lieu of hauling everything home…</p>

<p>The other item I think was very useful was a pocket type thing that went under the mattress for easy access while sitting in bed to hold tv remote, cell phone, ipods. They are usually available with the dorm items.</p>

<p>We did try this unit from BBBeyond that was sort of a spring rod to the ceiling with baskets D was not to fond of it & when we removed it it left a large black mark on ceiling! Thank heavens for Mr Clean Magic Eraser!!</p>

<p>You guys are too much. And y’all made fun of me over the cafe versus regular table.</p>

<p>But seriously, my son is in D, and it’s good to get feedback on furniture arrangement.</p>

<p>Is D in Riverside, son’s dorm, the same as D in Ridgecrest and Lakeside?</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip on the Target shelf. Will definitely check that out.</p>

<p>Omama,</p>

<p>What was the name again of the storage facility you use? I wanna write that down somewhere so I have it for next spring.</p>

<p>Thanks to mom2s suggestion.!! All American in Northport. They actually have two facilities but we choose the one that is completely climate controlled they even have a Wine Storage department. Both are on or just off Ricemine Road. (A bit of a drive but worth it!)</p>

<p>While we were there three out of state groups came to load up! We got the smallest storage unit and we had more than enough room and a bit of her roommates stuff! </p>

<p>Point being we could have shared the unit! Very nice, clean & safe!</p>

<p>My husband is already shaking his head over my folders with info on (besides the crucial stuff) recommended classes, housing, essentials, travel (airlines, shuttles, hotels). Wait until he sees ‘summer storage’, he’ll think I’ve flipped S hasn’t even left and I’m already set up for storing his stuff when he comes home for the summer. LOVE THIS GROUP.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think this might be the bookshelf omama is referring to (Dimensions: Length: 27.4 "; Height: 33.75 "; Width: 11.5 "). Please correct me if I’m wrong.</p>

<p>Link to Target: [Stackable</a> Folding Bookshelf - Natural : Target](<a href=“http://www.target.com/Stackable-Folding-Bookshelf-Natural/dp/B000P7L1WY/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton]Stackable”>http://www.target.com/Stackable-Folding-Bookshelf-Natural/dp/B000P7L1WY/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton)</p>

<p>Yes that is the exact unit with the exception that it had a darker finish. But very sturdy and I feel it will take her through Grad School !!</p>

<p>*
Is D in Riverside, son’s dorm, the same as D in Ridgecrest and Lakeside?*</p>

<p>Yes. Of course, sometimes the rooms are a mirror image.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if Target will ship items to a store for pickup, rather than your home?</p>

<p>I’ve seen some stores do this, and they sometimes will waive shipping charges if you choose this option.</p>

<p>The Target website says this item is only available online.</p>

<p>While we’re on the subject, where is the Target in Tuscaloosa, if there is one? If not, where’s the closest one?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>The Target in T-town is located on 15th street, which is off of McFarland (kind of behind the mall). So, it’s not far away.</p>

<p>I’ve heard that Target will ship to store, but if it won’t, then ship to Paty.</p>

<p>If you have a daughter…Definitely invest in some plastic 3 drawer stackable drawers (Target, Walmart, etc). If you take the legs off they fit under the bed at it’s highest setting (Dads…bring a rubber mallet with you to facilitate adjusting the bed - your kid will be the most popular!) The closets are not big enough to hold everything…especially if you live out of state and can’t run home for the weekend to pick up winter clothes.
Don’t worry about the room configurations…they’ll change them a couple of times anyway. Looking forward to moving son in…a LOT LESS stuff, and absolutely no interest in “cute” decor</p>

<p>especially if you live out of state and can’t run home for the weekend to pick up winter clothes.</p>

<p>yes. And it’s wise to bring some winter clothes with you in August - and at least one hoodie. You can “switch out” much of your warm weather/cold weather clothes when you come home at Fall break or Thanksgiving. </p>

<p>Yes, those 3 drawer units do fit nicely under the lofted beds.</p>