Ridiculous reject train ride 2022

Their DM / profile is hidden… hopefully they can send along that information that disappeared. Seemed strange that it vanished like that. I just want to make sure I pass along the correct name.

1 Like

Do you mind if I ask if that’s HMC? I tried to PM you but your user profile is hidden. I’m trying to get as much info about that school as possible before May 1.

Grade inflation, too many applicants, common app, dramatic increase in international students accepted. We can’t change 100%. We need to open more highly selective colleges. Going forward, there will only be more and more worthy students with perfect or near perfect numbers and amazing ECs that don’t get in.

Well, I can’t speak to Chloe Kim specifically, but many of those elite athletes are either home schooled or attend a targeted sports academy. And while they might not be “goofing off” entirely, they are can be direct beneficiaries of a substantial bit of grade inflation. One of Harvard’s “easy-A” classes used to be known as “Rocks for Jocks” for a reason (I wonder if it still is or if that became too gauche).

2 Likes

I wish the Ivies would publish a stat on how many applicants just flat out were no qualified. Has to be below 50%. That would mean at least 50% could have been accepted, and they took 3%. No one will publish that, accurately.

4 Likes

But they get in somewhere. The last thing needed us more colleges.

5 Likes

Cornell admissions used to tell the alumni interviewers that 95% of applicants were academically qualified. I’m not sure how or if that has changed since TO.

3 Likes

Sorry, that’s not the school.

1 Like

I asked whether a music supplement was submitted with recording, resume and letters. Also what type of orchestras and specifics on solo performance. I can PM you.

Off hand, I would not contact the orchestra director unless there is some international award or something of the like. Even then, they would have already seen that.

3 Likes

“Rocks for jocks” and “physics for poets” are terms used fairly generically for easy science courses for students needing to fulfill general education requirements, although the actual course titles are something else.

At UChicago it is Physics for Future Presidents: Fundamental Concepts and Applications.

The application included a video portfolio of solo violin performances about 8 minutes, a piece with the Toledo symphony, and three other pieces soloing with piano accompaniment. Application included violin teacher as one of the primary references, along with list of competitions. No international awards.

5 Likes

Exactly.

It sounds like she is so accomplished! She should really be so proud of those performances, many kids will never perform with a full professional orchestra behind them! Violin is really hard, so many kids play at such a high level.

Exactly.

If I understand your remark, the issue is lack of international awards. To that, I would suggest that, speaking with respect to Harvard, once you have achieved that level of accomplishment, you are either touring or applying to an elite conservatory; if you have an eye on an Ivy liberal arts with dual degree, that’s not who is targeting Harvard. Candidate was accepted at U Rochester, ostensibly having performance submissions reviewed by Eastman.

Candidate was preparing for Cooper International Competition before it was cancelled for covid. All current applicants are in same boat with respect to the cancellation of most competitions in the relevant time frame, so unless they won an international prize as freshmen or earlier, well…

The top 0.1% of that figure is 2000. There are very few kids who have scores like OP’s kid.

Personally, I still think U Rochester is an excellent admit for this student.

4 Likes

Didn’t see this. Your child sounds exceptional. This season was kinder to those who could pivot.

There are multiple students that are graduating from the NYC precolleges (juilliard, MSM) that are going to Harvard, Stanford, and other Ivys and T20 schools. I am sure that the same is true of the Boston Youth Orchestra program. It may be that is specifically what they are looking for. (but this in no way diminishes OP’s daughters accomplishments or talent which seem outstanding).

There are definitely students at Harvard who are accomplished enough to tour. Conservatory prep students in Boston also tend to end up at Ivies, as well as the NY prep programs.

I think that applying to so many schools that have BM programs may have been one factor. A music supplement is useful for schools that only have BA programs. BM programs have auditions obviously and perhaps they don’t need violinists as much.

On your list, as far as I know, only Tufts and Pomona don’t have a BM degree program.

The change in schools, and the online classes, could have been a factor.

I would not necessarily blame a quota for Asians or Asian Americans or Asians playing the violin. Though of course I understand the feelings on this.

ps editing to add that of course Tufts has a double degree program with NEC so that leaves Pomona as the only one without an affiliated BM program

3 Likes