RIT Combine Accelerated BS/MS in Applied Mathematics?

My son was accepted to RIT EDII (this is non-binding at RIT) for the Applied Mathematics BS program. Presidential scholarship ($22,500/yr). We ended up ruling out RIT due to total COA and because he got better offers from SUNY Binghamton and Stony Brook (we are in PA, so OOS) which make them far more affordable.
Just looked at his RIT portal and he’s been offered the Accelerated BS/MS program, and I’m wondering if anyone can shed light on this – do you have experience with the program? Is it worth it?
We expect that he will probably want to go on to earn a Masters once he graduates wherever he goes, and he’ll be responsible for that cost, but the idea of trimming a year off that is certainly appealing. But I still don’t think we could do it financially and we are reluctant to take out massive loans and we’ve discouraged him from doing same.
Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Depending on the school, Math can either place very well or somewhat poorly. You need to find out which bucket RIT falls into. You need to have a long conversation with the department on where its math grads go – if they say grad school, that’s often not a good answer. The BS+MS vs just a BS is somewhat irrelevant.

MS salaries seem lower than BS salaries:

https://www.rit.edu/careerservices/students/salary-and-career-info

1 Like