RIT Regular Decision for Fall ‘23

S23 accepted to CS but I don’t see any financial aid information. Wonder if it is because of tuition exchange as @ColdWombat mentioned.

The video was cool though!

1 Like

Sammmme. Ugh.

Son accepted to Computer Science! I didn’t see any financial information - we are tuition exchange applicants. Not sure if that plays a role… Best wishes to all!

4 Likes

Son accepted to CS with merit

3 Likes

Congrats on the decision! Must be a huge relief for you guys to end the process. Son is still waiting for other schools and very hard to get an idea of where he is standing in terms of interests… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulations to your son! Would you by any chance know how easy/hard is it to change majors at RIT? Specifically from Software Engineering to 3D Digital Design major -with 3D Virtualization Option.

1 Like

I asked a current student who switched from BME to ME, so not the same exact situation, but I don’t think they said it was a huge deal, especially if it’s before the year begins.

Got notification today on Performing Arts Scholarship. $6,000 total over 4 years

4 Likes

Got financial aid package. Way too expensive as expected, about 21k a year before loans. I’ll try to appeal to get more, but it’s looking like I won’t to be able to afford college at any rate. :frowning: (context mom makes about 40k a year, 60k with child support but with our mortgage it kind of leans towards 40, she can’t afford more than 3k a year). Any of the more competitive schools I’ve applied to that have better aid look at non-custodial, where my dad makes double my mom + is marrying someone next year with the same income, so they are not options either.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s a guarantee that he can switch. Meanwhile, check out the graduate salaries of the different majors on their website – I think Software Engineering is the place to be!!

Congratulations! I’m curious – if your son picks RIT, what stood out to him for Game Design and Development? My son is planning to major in Computer Science and minor in GDD or double major in schools that is feasible. He applied to colleges with strong GDD programs, such as RIT, U of Utah, Michigan State, and WPI. Unfortunately the double major at RIT seems near impossible. At Utah it isn’t necessary for my son to double major given the very cool structure of their CS-EAE emphasis program, at MSU he would try to double major, and at WPI they have a special double major designed for students. Your son may not have made up his mind yet, but I’m curious what makes RIT stand out to him (other than it’s clearly a highly ranked program) of the options for GDD. Thank you and sorry for the novel!

1 Like

Hopefully you will be able to afford attend a SUNY, especially if there are any within commuting distance.

1 Like

Wishing you well. Hopefully you will find a great opportunity and offer.

1 Like

RIT’s decision comes down to cost. Placement into the gaming industry with that degree is only 40%, in a good year. Game design work is mostly contractual, and jobs tend to go to those with We would choose it because of the curriculum, which is a nice mix of computer programming and design. RIT has an excellent reputation, and its students are desired. In most schools, it is either all design or all programming. DS was also accepted to George Mason, but their game design is a BFA, all design. There is a separate game programming degree. I personally don’t feel a game design degree just focusing on design is the way to go, this is an argument I have been having with my son. I think your child is in much better shape with the programming degree and game design minor. Personally, I would decide based on costs.

3 Likes

I have no sunys within commuting distance :pensive:. I really hope I ace this UB presidential interview tomorrow, because then I can go for free!

my S graduated with a GDD major. he is working for a government contractor with skills he picked up in the program. This is to gain him experience, and he will return to gaming later on. His end goal is to have his own gaming company in teh future.

2 Likes

I know the skills transfer to other sectors, but I have a child who cannot see the tree through the forest. They need to be willing to look beyond 1 industry.

Best of luck with the interview tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you!

My son just received the Performing Arts Scholarship. Also $6,000 total over 4 years.

4 Likes