Riverside Dorm Question

<p>Bama 89- to try to answer your question from #11 above…the suites dorms were first built in 2005 starting with Riversides, then Lakesides then Ridgecrest E/W then Ridgecrest S (has 2 towers N & S) and this year the newest suite style dorm, North Bluff will open for students. </p>

<p>The layout (see the housing web site) is the same for Riversides, Lakesides and Ridgecrest E/W but starting with Ridgecrest N and North Bluff the layout (with 2 bedrooms on each side of the LR) is different. Most freshman seem to want Ridgecrest S (North tower-Honors, South tower- Non Honors) as that is the one they see on the tours given.</p>

<p>Other than that Riversides are closer to the Engineering complex and Lakesides/Ridgecrests are closer to Business but they are not that far apart and are all very nice! hope that helps :)</p>

<p>Is a pizzazz allowed? It’s not specifically stated on either list. I’m guessing it’s closest to a toaster so it would be ok?
I had to google this to see what it was. I’d never heard of a Pizzazz, but what a cool little appliance! If I had to guess, I’d guess it was a no-no - seems more like a toaster oven (forbidden) than a toaster, but of course I have no idea. if this thing works as advertised, it’d be great for those who love pizza. Do you actually have one?
</p>

<p>Yes, we have one and have already bought our son one for school. They are the greatest, makes cheap frozen pizza taste so much better. I had asked when we took our tour and was told by the RA that showed us around he would be ok with it. The heating element is the same as a regular toaster.</p>

<p>I’m a kitchen appliance junky - I may need to acquire a Pizzazz. This site is not helping my budget!</p>

<p>linnylu: Ridgecrest South-North Tower had more problems in the past with fire alarms; this year the tower is all honors and I’ve only heard D complain a handful of times.</p>

<p>my daughter lives there too. last year it was a problem, this year, not so much.</p>

<p>Never heard about the tower being rowdy, maybe the “South” tower (non honors). However, there was a problem lat year with the fire alarms being pulled. This has not been happening this year (to the best of my knowledge), which I believe is due to the installation of security cameras on every floor.</p>

<p>Since the university installed cameras in the dorm halls, the fire alarm problems and other hijinks have largely gone away.</p>

<p>My D has been in Riverside North for two years. She started out there by default since we were late registering and she is NMF and it was a saved room. She has done some baking there, but she has recently picked up cooking as a hobby and now feels limited by the facilities there.
Logistically, Riverside has bee a great option. This past year there was the construction noise & traffic to deal with - the new dorm is basically just outside D’s front door, but that won’t be a concern for anyone next year.
Next year, D will be in Lakeside on the 4th floor. She was ready for a change, but there’s nothing wrong with Riverside if your lifestyle doesn’t include a lot of cooking :)</p>

<p>I hadn’t even thought about construction noise. When are they starting on the rest of the buildings that are part of the North Bluff complex? I had heard there was going to be another dining hall and maybe a smaller rec center for the north campus. If that building takes place this year, which areas of north campus are most likely to be affected in terms of noise, dust, etc.?</p>

<p>xxannakate: “The Ridgecrest community is MUCH closer to the Ferg, Library, & Quad (& ferg parking lot) than Riverside. Ridgecrest is also the closest to ten Hoor.” </p>

<pre><code> xxanakate is correct about the location of RCS. I would also agree with robotbidmom in saying that the perception of RCS being rowdy may have come from the fire alarm frenzy last year. The cameras seem to have solved that issue. Our D only recalls that happening once this year at the beginning of first semester. Keep in mind that the dynamics of any dorm will depend largely on the maturity of the students living there from year to year. In regards to appliances, those with exposed heating elements are not allowed and an auto shutoff feature is required. Those giving tours are generally desk assistants rather than RA’s.
</code></pre>

<p>Just for clarification…is Ridgecrest South the only HONORS residence hall with stovetops in the community kitchen?</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I think so.</p>

<p>As for construction noise… </p>

<p>I don’t know how that would be, but I’m thinking that construction would be M-F during school hours when students are in classrooms, not at night or weekends when students are in dorms. </p>

<p>When I’ve been around the construction of the Science and Engineering Complex, I don’t even notice the noise. </p>

<p>I doubt the noise for the new dorm (where Rose is) would be an issue for anyone except for maybe those in Riverside North.</p>

<p><a href=“http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg[/url]”>http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Rose is the tall red brick building above the rectangle. It’s being demolished this summer. The new dorm mentioned above is the one that has been built to the right…see in the pic.</p>

<p>Then another dorm will be built on Rose’s spot.</p>

<p>There is a parking lot between Rose and Riverside North. So, it’s not right behind it…there is space. It looks like the new construction will be near the “western” side of Riverside North.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure Ridgecrest West also has stovetops/ovens. My friend’s son lives there and he was talking about making spaghetti with a group of friends.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest West has a similar kitchen setup to Ridgecrest South. D lived there last year & used it quite a bit.</p>

<p>What about Lakeside? Does it just have ovens, or does it have stovetops as well?</p>

<p>Just sent my son and text and he responded that Lakeside West has stove stops. (Sometimes the room mates cook pancakes, pastas, eggs, etc…)</p>

<p>Thanks The Student. This is what I was referring to on the Grateful thread - you ask a question and parents contact their kids to get an answer. This isn’t the first time it’s happened. What a group!!</p>

<p>Its the real experts: M2CK. Sea_Tide, MOMREADS and others who brought us to BAMA!</p>

<p>Roll tide.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, I emailed housing over the Christmas break to see if our DS could have a sandwich maker in Bryant, as there are also no ovens/ stovetops there. The response was, “yes, as long as it has an automatic shutoff”. He has been very happy with that one little appliance.</p>

<p>Good to know, babyfaces. Thanks for sharing!</p>