Riverside Dorm Question

<p>For what it’s worth, I emailed housing over the Christmas break to see if our DS could have a sandwich maker in Bryant, as there are also no ovens/ stovetops there. The response was, “yes, as long as it has an automatic shutoff”. He has been very happy with that one little appliance.</p>

<p>Oh good! What brands have auto shutoffs? If having an auto shut-off is key, I’m sure that there are other things that have that as well.</p>

<p>for my son’s grad apt (that has no rules), I was concerned that HE would forget to turn some things off, so I got this plug that goes in the wall and you set it for how long you want that appliance to have power (15 min, 30 min). So, something like that could make almost anything “auto shutoff”.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=auto+shut+off+timer&x=0&y=0[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=auto+shut+off+timer&x=0&y=0&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here’s 3 or 4</p>

<p>^^ I was pleasantly surprised to see crock pot on that list of allowed appliances. I could have sworn I’d previously seen a list that prohibited it, so maybe this is new. I could never figure out what the problem was with a crock pot, since they’re made to be left for hours at a time.</p>

<p>Yes, I’m surprised, too. I haven’t looked at the forbidden list for a long time, but crockpots used to be banned. Toasters used to be, too. </p>

<p>Toasters are dangerous…I’ve had one catch fire. </p>

<p>If crocks are allowed, why not rice cookers…they auto switch to warm.</p>

<p>And, I think that an electric fry pan or a pannini maker isn’t dangerous if used with a timer. Aren’t there smoke alarms in the kitchens?</p>

<p>Can they use some of these things in the common kitchen? I don’t see why they can’t use an electric fry pan in the common kitchen in Riverside if the other kitchens have stove tops.</p>

<p>M2CK - I use those plug in timers (the kind you put on your Christmas lights to turn them on and off at set times) with my crock pot, which doesn’t have an automatic shut off, and it works like a charm. I wonder if they’d count as auto shutoffs. Probably not, but worth asking Housing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It might have to do with the extinguishing system the kitchens with stovetops utilize. I remember during Bama bound we looked at the stoves in Ridgecrest South and what looks like a standard vent hood is actually an elaborate fire extinguisher with an emergency pull near the ovens. Presumably when pulled it would release chemicals to douse the fire. Since Riverside doesn’t have this system, there is a risk of a grease fire going wild.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Ahhh…yes, now I remember the big hoods. I’ve seen them. Didn’t realize that they were like big fire extinguishers. </p>

<p>I know that we think our kids will be careful, etc, but my younger son (who is not a risky behavior kid) actually got some serious burns earlier this year when he was frying with peanut oil…and the oil caught fire and splashed on son’s arms!! (They thought that they could make Chick fil A chicken tenders the way that the restaurant does. :frowning: ) Luckily one of his roomies’ dad is a T-town doctor and immediately provided medical treatment and serious pain meds.</p>

<p>Maybe UA Housing can clear up the issues regarding appliances and also whether 3M Command Strips are allowed in all dorms. They had been listed as things to bring, but on the bright orange sheet we received at BB, they were listed as not allowed in various communities.</p>

<p>Yes, we all think our kids will be careful. D awoke first semester to the smell of smoke wafting down the hall to her room. Another female student (at 2 a.m.) had left a boiler on the stovetop at RCS with cake batter in it. Later, she said she didn’t know why you couldn’t cook a cake on the stovetop since she didn’t have a cake pan. It isn’t just boys who sometimes lack experience in these things. If your child is planning or may cook, the disposable foil pans will be a great investment. They don’t have to wash them, just use and toss.</p>

<p>Bamagirls makes a good point.</p>

<p>For those who have kids who might try their hand at cooking, be sure that they have some basic cooking skills/knowledge. We all have smart kids, but sometimes they don’t all have the “life skills” needed and we find ourselves shaking our heads wondering how such a smart wouldn’t know something that is kind of “common knowledge.”</p>

<p>This goes for cleaning and doing laundry as well. Make sure that they know what to use, how to use it, and where to use it (and NOT use it).</p>

<p>I’m glad your son is okay. A friend of our family has a son who was a professional football player a few years ago and was also newly married. He was a kicker. He and his new bride invited teammates over for dinner in their new home. For some reason, they decided to use a wok to heat cooking oil and were then pouring the hot oil into something else. Some of the oil spilled onto the young woman who was wearing a nylon tank top. Her top melted into her skin. Just as he rushed over to help her she dropped the wok and the hot oil spilled and covered both of them. They were both very seriously burned and he was unable to work for quite some time. These things happen, especially with young people and especially their first time out on their own. Fortunately, both of these young people recovered, but only after suffering major pain.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Excellent suggestion, Bamagirls! I’ve just added these to our packing list.</p>

<p>Has anyone here been able to confirm whether or not an electric frying pan or griddle would be allowed in the community kitchens?</p>