Riverside West

<p>Son also got pulled into a room on the second floor with one of the CBHP finalists. Four of them were going to room together but they could only come up with two openings in suites. They will attempt to shuffle around to get the four of them together over the next few days.</p>

<p>Montegut,</p>

<p>LOL. Probably a bit of both. Ah the problems of multi-tasking. :)</p>

<p>Seriously though, if I have this correct then the following should have kids, or live in this dorm:</p>

<p>Montegut - son on fourth floor
ReginaPhalange - on second floor
Loring - son on second floor
Crimsonmomtobe - son on second floor</p>

<p>What a great network!</p>

<p>Montegut - any tips on the dorms. We haven’t seen these in person since the tour shows Ridgecrest South North Tower. I understand all of the furniture measures the same…</p>

<p>Let us know if anybody comes onto the fourth floor. </p>

<p>My son’s suitemate is in Room C, and I got a peek in his room this weekend.</p>

<p>Wow, I loved his setup!</p>

<p>He had his chest of drawers, then desk, then nightstand, all pushed together, with his chair facing out of the window, making one large table with a great view of the pool in Riverside West, Fourth Floor. I think my son is happy with what he has, and I don’t know if his D room configuration would allow this arrangement, but I wanted to pass on this layout. It was great!</p>

<p>DS picked his room last night. Double suite on the second floor in Riverside East. He had no idea which to pick (East or West) or what room and finally decided on a double and clicked on one. :)</p>

<p>Our son is in the “longer” D room as well. Any tips on the arrangement? </p>

<p>Also, based on room numbers, are the even numbers looking over the street and the odd numbers looking over the courtyard or vice versa?</p>

<p>Sounds like the kids are going to be well taken care of. When I think back to my first roomate - all in one room and the bathrooms at the end of the hallway - and our first dorm, I cannot imagine living in one like they have :). I think Malani described them as luxury suites and he is right on target there!</p>

<p>In Riverside West, the even rooms look over the green area in the middle of Riverside North and Riverside West/East. I think the odd rooms look over the street. It’s only four floors, so I don’t know if it’s high enough to see the river, but that’s the view I would want!</p>

<p>As for D room furniture arrangement, son has desk with night stand together as a desk, on the wall the door opens onto. His bed is on the opposite side, with his chest of drawers between the bed and the closet. He has a two shelf bookshelf (from Office Depot) on top of his desk, and a two shelf larger bookshelf, (which was actually a TV/VCR stand at Big Lots) between his bed and his desk, which he uses as a nightstand/storage area. He and his daddy worked it out, so I couldn’t tell you how they came up with it. Interior decorating is not my forte.</p>

<p>Montegut - thanks for the information.</p>

<p>Have one last question please. The information on the website said the bedroom window is 65 inches tall and 44 across in the bedroom. They don’t look that large. In the pictures of Riverside, the bedroom windows don’t appear to be 5ft 7". Since I’m buying a panel for the window - it makes a difference :slight_smile: What is the actual size?</p>

<p>^^^Are you serious? Didn’t you read my comment that interior design is not my forte?</p>

<p>Just kidding. Hope someone else can help you with this one. All I know is that the windows faces out. Son is an early bird and a minimalist, so we didn’t even think about window coverings. Good thing, since he has an 8 AM class next semester.</p>

<p>Glad to find some others on my floor! I’ve met girls on first and third floor, but none on second…certainly not complaining if it’s mostly boys. :)</p>

<p>I’m also in the D room, but is there anything to prevent someone from taking whichever room they want if they’re the first one to arrive? It doesn’t really make a difference to me; just wondering!</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear even numbers have a pretty nice view!</p>

<p>crimsonmomtobe - you’re early in the game, I too had to learn that the DDs had design ideas, DSs look at you like “does it really matter” when you’re trying to get their opinion on the “decor”. They care about - comfort and electronics. :)</p>

<p>With that little bit of insight you may learn he may not care if it overhangs a little, so if you don’t find your answer go with the longer one. My DS also hasn’t complained about lack of curtain, but then he hasn’t been able to avoid the 8 or 9 am class. </p>

<p>Btw Montegut - DS (on 3rd) liked the idea of nerf wars, your guys maybe starting a RW trend.</p>

<p>is there anything to prevent someone from taking whichever room they want if they’re the first one to arrive? It doesn’t really make a difference to me; just wondering!</p>

<p>when you move in the key you get only locks/unlocks your room assignment.</p>

<p>Ah, I forgot that each bedroom has a lock. I first panicked when I saw your post – one of my roommates and I had been planning to get there early to make sure we got bedrooms next to each other, and I was worried that I would check and we wouldn’t be – but we’re actually in the exact bedrooms I wanted us to be in. :)</p>

<p>Is bedroom D smaller or “worse” than the others, or just shaped differently?</p>

<p>My son will be on the 3rd floor of Riverside West.</p>

<p>I believe they’re all the same square footage just a different layout. As I recall I think it’s a little more rectangular than square. We were able to see all the rooms when we moved him in and you can really set up each room to comfortably.</p>

<p>3kidsinhs - on behalf of my son “welcome to RW 3rd floor”, maybe they can work up a nerf team to head up to 4th floor. What’s his major?</p>

<p>I measured my window in Ridgecrest West and the dimensions crimsonmomtobe posted appear to be accurate (both dorms have the same room layout.)</p>

<p>reginaphalange, you get the room you’ve selected. Each bedroom has its own key which is different from the key to the suite. If you were living in a dorm room with 2 beds, then it would be up to the roommates to decide who gets which bed.</p>

<p>^^^OMG, housing is going to kill me. Just a warning, make sure you have your gun inside your room before you close the door. Son was trying to quickly retreat one time and closed his door on his too long Nerf gun. There went a hole in his door. Dorm damage bill cost more than the gun. Fifty bucks he hopes to never have to spend again.</p>

<p>I’m hoping that since the weather is getting nice, they’ll move the battle outside, but since they’re nerds, I doubt it. I’m sorry. I’m terrible.</p>

<p>Actually, I think this whole Nerf thing started when there was a proposed Zombie versus Human battle, which supposedly got cancelled, but the boys had all bought their guns, so they weren’t going to let them go to waste. And what self respecting engineering major wouldn’t go to YouTube to find out how to modify their Nerf gun to give it the best projectory and farthest range?</p>

<p>I’m all for learning something when you’re having fun.</p>

<p>These will be memories they will chortle about when they are old and reminiscing!</p>

<p>Socal2: Thanks! Electrical engineering. Your sons’? Montegut–funny comment on modifying the nerf guns! I told my son he needed to bring a good nerf gun, and I saw the sparkle in his eyes. He also didn’t mind that there are girls on the floor. We didn’t realize they were co-ed even on the floors.</p>

<p>Speaking of Humans Vs Zombies… we are actually an official club this semester!!! As communications director, I feel obligated to post and inform everyone that we have started events. We actually held our first event, a movie night, tonight. HVZ is back, and hopefully the university won’t stop us this time!!! We are having a big game (week-long) towards the end of the semester. It will be so much fun! I personally have two Nerf guns with me, and a whole arsenal back at home, waiting to be modified to fire better. Freshman year, there were weekly Nerf wars in my dorm = awesomeness.</p>

<p>I am very intimidated about having nerf battles against a group of, not only boys, but engineering majors! At least I now know that there are plenty of smart boys on my floor who can tutor me! :)</p>