RLC Residential Leadership Community

<p>Hey Guys,</p>

<p>I am thinking about applying to the Residential Leadership Community. What are the people like in the program? Type A personalities or less-social people? I never know what to think about these communities, but the dorms and opportunities seem appealing </p>

<p>Thanks and please tell your connection to Tech. :)</p>

<p>I graduated a year ago. I didn’t do RLC but I knew a lot of people in it. There’s a minor time investment, but I’d say it’s worth it to get into the good dorms. As far as the people go I guess it’d trend toward type A personalities, but I didn’t notice a huge difference between the people I knew in RLC and the rest of the student body.</p>

<p>Yeah, RLC is a really chill environment with alot of perks. But honestly, with all the communities I’ve been to (which is all of them except for Honors affiliated ones) everyone seems all the same. My friend lived in one last year (not on purpose, it was cuz of his roommate) and his hall seemed like a typical freshman guys hall. Haha.</p>

<p>RLC isn’t easy to get into though because alot of students who were really active in high school are competing for it.</p>

<p>I consider myself to have a Type A personality, but I am not uptight about things. I agree about the dorms, they seem great :). </p>

<p>financiallylost: Haha I definitely want the typical freshmen dorm. It’s a once in a lifetime thing. I figured that it would be hard to get into, because the overall competitiveness of VT.</p>

<p>Let me asking something else, do the people in the themed housing only hang within their community like a click? Or is it harder to meet people outside of the community? I go to a small high school, and I want to have a large variety of friends at VT. I don’t want to be limited by where I live. Any tips?</p>

<p>artek1993 - You will be meeting people in dorms, in classes, at parties, and just around campus. Tech is a huge school, and I think you will find that new friends will be around every corner.</p>

<p>Except for maybe the honors dorms (because they’re sort of out of the way) you’re not going to meet any fewer people because you’re in themed housing.</p>

<p>Hey brishe and chuy,</p>

<p>Thanks for addressing my concern. That’s really good info, I think if I get the good news I am looking for next Friday then I will apply for RLC. Seems like a winner to me. :)</p>

<p>Thanks guys</p>

<p>DO IT! Best decision of your life!
The people in there are really diverse. No one is alike. Don’t the stereotype of “perk” pervents you. Most RLC students are really active around the campus. You’ll definitely get more close friends since all the RLC students have to take their leadership class together and have group projects, which really is a bounding experience. There are parties and social events every week too. (Trust me, you’ll see more intense stuff in other dorms, which might get you kicked out of school.)</p>

<p>fanoffun: That sounds amazing and just what I am looking for. I obviously want to have some landmark idiocracies in my college career, but nothing that gets me kicked out. Thanks for the insight. Were you in the RLC program or have a connection?</p>

<p>Can someone tell me how to apply to the RLC program?</p>