Road trip to Villanova, Lehigh and Lafayette

Hi there,
We are planning a “road trip” over Easter weekend to see Lehigh, Lafayette, and Villanova. We have tours booked for two of these (one on Saturday and on on Monday). Unfortunately, Villanova has no “official tours” due to Easter week, so we will do a self guided tour there on Saturday. We plan to drive from Boston, but would be curious of any suggestions on how to nagivate this…are we best to drive or fly and rent a car? What would you suggest for places to stay? Any insights at all would be appreciated!

When we visited Villanova and Lehigh we stayed in Philadelphia. We found an AirBnB near the Thomas Jefferson Med School/Hospital complex. It was very quaint and historic and had a great loft. We drove our own car and had no trouble getting around, though parking in Philly was complex.

We did not see Villanova but did see Lehigh and Lafayette, drove from Upstate NY over spring break and also saw a few others. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Bethlehem. If you are looking for restaurant recommendations, I suggest Fegley’s Brew Works in Bethlehem or Cactus Blue in Bethlehem, if you like Mexican.

I would drive. If your scheduled tour at Lehigh or Lafayette is in the afternoon, you could drive to Villanova on Friday, self tour Villanova in the morning, drive to Lehigh/Lafayette in the afternoon and then stay overnight in Bethlehem or Easton. Then, check out the area on Sunday and do your second scheduled tour on Monday.

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and my parents lived in the area until recently. If you need a lunch near Lehigh, I recommend sandwiches at the Gooseman downhill from campus. You can walk or take a tour of Historic Bethlehem across the river from Lehigh.

1 Like

A little bit of driving but with your scheduled tours on Sat and Monday, you might want to consider doing your first tour on Sat, then driving and spending the night at Villanova (Randor Hotel Inn at Villanova, or look at the Marriots in Conshokoken. Have dinner in Wayne PA or in Bryn Mawr then self tour Villanova on Sunday. If you feel adventurous you can easily take a tour through Bryn Mawr, Haverford or St Joe’s if there is any interest. Then head back to Bethlehem Sunday night for the tour on Monday

I was literally typing something very similar to @Novacat9191. I think that’s a good plan.

If you want to get into Philly, it’s a 20 min. ride. I wouldn’t fly for this itinerary…it doesn’t work well with the Sat/Mon tours up north.

For the drive home on Monday, I’d take the long way and avoid the Geo. Washington Bridge or the Tappan Zee/Mario Cuomo Bridge. Head a little bit north and cross the Hudson at the Beacon Newburgh Bridge on I-84. Then a straight shot until the Mass Pike.

Second The Goose in Bethlehem for a good cheap lunch.

DD is a first year Villanova student in VSB and also tour guide. There is a “Villanova University Guides” app that has a self-tour of Villanova University with map, recommended route, photos, linked videos and other information you might find helpful.