Robertson Scholarship at Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill

I just for a message from Duke that I was nominated for this scholarship. Does that mean I’m likely to be accepted to Duke?

2 Likes

Yes, Duke can nominate as well. This most likely means you were accepted.

1 Like

Does anyone know when Robertson finalists are notified? I’m a current semifinalist and curious to know when I’ll hear back.

they told me first week of march in the interview. makes sense bc finalist interviews are march 6-8th

1 Like

thank you! yes, i was assuming it was before march 6th, but curious at to if it was possible we would hear back in february . thanks!

2 Likes

Will finalist notifications also be rolling or will they likely be released at the same time?

2 Likes

I’m thinking they’ll be released at the same time and rejections may be released later. The website says finalist interviews are March 6 - March 9. Because of this, I’m going to assume that if I don’t hear back by March 5 that I was probably rejected.

1 Like

I heard back today around 10:00am, I’m a finalist for duke! Check your emails !!!

2 Likes

I haven’t heard back - does this mean I didn’t get finalist status?

I’m a finalist as well, but for UNC! Congrats! Any thoughts on what the interview will be like?

5 Likes

Did you check your email? My daughter got her rejection email a week or so ago I feel like. We thought it was odd it took so long, but they did eventually send it.

1 Like

Yes my daughter got the rejection email too.

can you tell us if you went to a finalist weekend and if finalists have heard back yet?

There was no finalist weekend, just finalist interviews. Recipients heard back more than a week ago

Just heard about this scholarship. What if they invite a student as a semi-finalist and in the end the student does not end up getting either in Duke or UNC?

Isn’t it too much work on their end to review the applications without even knowing whether this student will be admitted to either of the universities? Just curious.

From what I understand, those awarded the scholarship in the end, have been accepted into one of the colleges.

This level of scholarship application is intense and most can not handle more than one or two.

4 Likes

Can anyone give me an idea of the level of competition for Robertson Scholarship? Such as any stats of those who got it, percentage accepted out of number applicants, etc. I don’t want a student spending time on the app if they literally have no shot at being accepted.

It is extremely competitive and holistic in nature. Perfect scores and academic record are the starting point for consideration. Think tippy tops stats and scores.

Robertson looks for a track record of leadership and service that will thrive if given the support and exposure Robertson provides.

Not trying to dissuade you from trying but for context I am aware of a student who was a finalist for Robertson (ultimately denied) who was accepted at Duke, Harvard, Penn, Brown and Georgetown. Anecdotal but that leads me to believe that it is a harder acceptance than the low single digit acceptance rates in the RD round of the aforementioned schools.

It is however worth noting that the Robertson “experience” would for many make it as desirable as any and all collegiate opportunities. It is an incredible platform but extremely competitive and time consuming to successfully be considered.

This following was the case 5 years ago so pardon me if this has changed or my memory is off. Students who apply to UNC and Duke can be highly selectively put forward directly into Robertson and moved into semi final round. I believe this took place in February but again it has been some time. Those (think small number) have to quickly complete a variety of application essays and materials.

The entire semi finalist cohort (both referred by UNC/Duke admissions and direct applicants to Robertson) are then “rigorously” interviewed (rumor was around 150 kids but speculative). A short time later “finalists” are invited for final round interviews in NC (approximately 30-40 kids from each school). Winners are announced around Ivy day.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

2 Likes

The students at this level are also applying to T10 ranked highly selective colleges (Duke is that level and UNC out of state is not far behind on selectivity).

There is some transparency with NC State’s Park Scholarship on that page. You can see their ECs highlighted.

1 Like

Agree: this is all consistent with what we have learned in researching it for D23(who already has completed the application). It really is a fabulous opportunity for those rare stars who get it.

1 Like