Rolling Admissions / decision timing

With rolling admissions, I’d love to know when anyone hears back from MSU for 2020 admit along with typical stats (Instate / out of state); GPA, test scores and ECs. My daughter just applied and she’s smack in the middle of the average admit stats. I know she will eventually get (everyone from her school was eventually admitted last year, even those with significantly lower stats) but really hoping to not have to wait until spring to find out.

Haven’t heard anything. Son applied the first day via common app, though it didn’t show up on their site until 10 days later

OOS (GA)
UW GPA: 3.71
W GPA: 92/100 (should be over 4.0 but not really sure how it converts to 4.0)
9 APs (never below 83) and 6 Honors classes
ACT (here’s where we hurt) : 24 but if superscore- 25
4 yrs football, track, and FBLA
Major is Business

Anyone have any decisions? You think the ACT will keep him out?
Good luck everyone!

I don’t know how accurate this is, but our GC said they accept the students with exceptional stats right off the bat and they hear in October. Then around Thanksgiving the majority of the students hear back if they applied by September 30. They also told our GC that enrollment is down this year and they think it’s because of going to common app for the first time. They had double the number of applications, so they accepted all the extra students who applied to MSU as their safety school, and had to wait until they eventually declined. Our GC thinks that the kids who normally would get accepted to MSU and would actually attend got tired of waiting and ended up going to other schools. (as that happened with several kids at my daughters school).

I cant imagine a student with a 3.7 and those ECs NOT getting in. The kids I know last year who applied early that had high GPAs and low ACT (much lower than 24) were accepted in the first round in October. If you don’t hear by then I would think by Thanksgiving at latest.

Thank you so much for your reply. Not coming from Michigan you just never know. That makes a lot of sense about the enrollment. My daughter committed to a school while still waiting for 2 decisions to be made because of housing and other items that require the commitment. You wait- you lose the best spots to pick dorms in a lot of schools.
Wishing your daughter the best of luck too! Maybe we will both get good news soon. We used to live in Grand Rapids and LOVED it! It’s funny that he wants to go back.

It would certainly help me relax a little bit more! I don’t know how MSU judges instate vs. out of state. I was looking at the Ohio State thread and it appears they admit OOS students with lower stats than instate students, but that’s just judging by what people post on these threads. I don’t know if that is accurate and/or if MSU follows that as well.

Anyone have a change in status or any updates? Our status page remains the same…

Nothing on our end, but my D has modest stats so am not expecting anything until Thanksgiving. I haven’t heard anyone else getting accepted yet though.

FinalThree my S is right there with you! We will wait together… crossing our fingers.

MSU Student here. Typically, applicants will hear back anywhere from 8-12 weeks. Also, right now is not “rolling admission” time, that only applies for after the spring application deadline. Right now, everyone who has applied is considered an early applicant.

With that being said, applying early will not guarantee you to get a decision before January 15th. The decision deadline for early applicants is January 15th, so at the very latest, that is when you/your child will find out.

To answer the question about out of state vs in state admissions, for the most part MSU does not let that play a huge roll in the admissions decision. They look at grades, SAT/ACT scores, extra circulars, etc. before OOS/IS becomes a part of it.

Good luck with your admissions process, be patient!

Go Green!

Also, here is MSU’s report for admissions for the Fall 2019 semester. It may offer some insight for you all!

https://opb.msu.edu/functions/institution/documents/FallEnrollment.pdf

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, Cassandra! I really appreciate it!

Appreciate the info. What you provided regarding timing contradicts what our GC said about rolling admissions. If history is any indication they release in waves starting shortly. From looking at my two other kids cohorts (one a junior in college and one who would have been a sophomore if college was in the cards) it stayed pretty consistent with an early wave in October, one before Thanksgiving and then I stopped paying attention. That said I don’t know what the official line is or what they will do this year.

Thanks also for posting the fall 2019 report - it also shows enrollment is up, not down which is also wrong info I was told!!

@Finalthree my son’s acceptance was on the Michigan State Application portal this morning!

@emptynestpls That is so exciting! Congrats!!! I think we will be waiting a while. My daughter applied end of September and her GPA is lower. I’m pretty confident she will get in, eventually. Just hard to wait!!!

So far it’s holding true to MSU’s past admissions policy then, e.g., high stats get an early acceptance. 3.6 / 26 ACT for us. Many ECs, works part time, volunteer work and goes to a college prep that has the reputation of being “hard” but I still think they do an early cut of just high stats first.

Son got in yesterday!
Applied 8-28-19
OOS NJ
SAT 1330
W GPA 3.6
7 AP classes multi honors classes
Major- Business

Congrats!!! Now I’m just trying to not be anxious. My d applied 9.27 and she just checked her portal. It says “awaiting review by an admission counselor.”

Check status page daily since no email was sent just an update on status page.

Just received ours today as well. Applied 8/25/19. OOS from NJ. ACCEPTED. SAT:1270, GPA 4.2

No email sent, maybe snail mail coming?

A lot of kids at our local (in-state) public school were accepted yesterday. Still waiting…