Rolling Admissions

Hello, all. Can you tell me which prep schools are known for having “rolling admissions.” I know of some instances where schools will still allow you to apply and get financial aid beyond the deadline dates. Thank you.

I’m not sure that anyone is going to do the research for you on such a broad topic that you can search for yourself.

Start with some websites that list schools such as test innovators, boarding school review, or niche and take a look for what you desire. Click links and explore their sites to see if they are what you need.

1 Like

Reminder that CC is supposed to be a friendly and welcoming community.

14 Likes

If you go to boardingschoolreview you can filter for rolling admissions. Good luck!

4 Likes

If there are schools that are of particular interest, reach out now. Tell them you’d like to submit an app ASAP (if you are prepared to do so), that you understood you have missed the deadline but you just learned about them (or learned that your family is moving or whatever your situation is), and that you would like to be considered if they have any openings.

You could end up with an offer of admission on M10. Not the best way of going about it but better than not trying at all!! Good luck!

2 Likes

I got an email a week or so ago from Chapel Hill Chauncey Hall that they were still accepting applications after standard deadline. I know some families (day) that really like it there (though have no first hand knowledge). I know the HoS, a bit, and he seems like a great guy, very thoughtful.

Not sure about FA for rolling there, though. I would guess it will depend on who accepts at 3/10 acceptance cycle…

1 Like

Some independent schools, IME, don’t make it super obvious they are actually rolling, even on their website. This seems like a great place to ask for any un-obvious knowledge.

3 Likes

Yes but when you don’t define what steps you’ve already taken, what you’re looking for in a school other than FA, where you’d like that school to be, but say “tell me”, you aren’t helping yourself. So some of us provided you with where to look for what you’ve asked. I gave you 3 sites to do your research on.

Once you narrow your list and you are looking at a school’s website, they provide contact information on those sites as to where you can reach out and get first hand answers for schools you feel a specific connection with, they can answer anything that isn’t clear like do they have rolling admissions if you can’t find that info on their site. Even the tip top schools technically have a rolling admission, they will take your application no problem, BUT the likelihood that you’d be considered for M10 is pretty much 0%. I gather you understand that, but what I’m trying to say is that most schools WILL gladly take an application (and your money!) but you’re going to have to contact them yourself to find out if it is worth it because the number of applications changes from year to year, they may have had rolling admits last year but this year they don’t. They may have no financial aid left (or they may not even know since it isn’t M10). I can tell you that Phillips Andover and many other of that level will still take your application today. I can tell you Interlochen will, too. 2 totally different levels but you could have found this info doing your own research.

Many people here tell others that picking a school by its name is not the way to go. Well, neither is picking a school from a list of rolling admissions. You need to know what you want in a school, carving that list by doing your research based on needs and wants, then finding out about whether they have rolling admissions and FA left. The heavy lifting is for you.

Of course I’m doing research on my own. Just thought I would ask around.

5 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for your in-depth response. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Agreed. Thank you.

1 Like

I agree. Have a good day.

1 Like

Two that I know of are Hoosac (NY) and Winchendon (MA).

1 Like

@midnightgiles
I’m going to disagree with the notion shared above by another parent that this should just be something you research on your own! Because that’s the whole point here – we help each other with info that is NOT just easily available on the internet. :).
So, yes, go to Boardingschoolreview and do a search there.
Also – SAO/SSAT application used to have a search for schools still accepting applicants at least as of last year, so I’m guessing that still exists and could be a resource?
Finally – LOTS of schools have an unofficial “second round” of applications they accept after the normal deadline. These are NOT usually the highly rejective schools, but there are some amazing and wonderful schools that allow for later applications!! how to find them? Do some research on schools that you think will be a great fit. Make a nice list, and then: email admissions and ASK. I had a bit of a panic pre-M10 a couple of years ago, and reached out to maybe 5-6 schools to ask if they would still accept an application, and all but one said YES. None of them “officially” accepted late applications anywhere I could see online. (We ended up not submitting any late applications, so I can’t speak to personal experience how that ended up, BUT, I have known friends whose kids have applied later and absolutely got offers to great schools!).
FA might be tighter, however. So you might need to cast a wider net.
So anyway…ASK.
Be wise, kind, thoughtful, and do the work to find good fits…don’t just send out 50 cut and paste emails and wonder why admissions people bristle. :). But do the work, find some good fits, and ask.
(PS. this is good life advice)
hoping this helps!

9 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, Calliemomofgirls. Thank you so much for your well-thought out response and well wishes. I will definitely do the research and check into individual schools. Have a great weekend!

I’ll add that I do know of students who have applied to Mercersburg later and gotten in. So maybe add that one to your list! :). Episcopal was one I remember saying yes a few years ago – saying they always were open to a good candidate. Can’t recall your gender, but single-gender schools might also be a good bet. Pretty much any school that is considered a “hidden gem” might be a possibility.

1 Like