Rollins Decision Thread for Fall 2023

Starting a thread on Rollins Admissions for Fall 2023. Post stats and comments.

1 Like

Daughter accepted!

1280 SAT
4.0W / 3.9UW
Lots of volunteering
Applied: 10/15/2022
Accepted: 12/16/2022

4 Likes

Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Congrats!

My son applied 11/11 and was accepted 11/29. We were shocked because it’s a regular admission school so we didn’t expect a quick decision like the rolling admission or EA schools. They offered $32K scholarship and VERY generous grant for financial aid, about 3x what other schools offered for financial aid. This brings the cost within our target range, close to our SUNY options (we live in Buffalo, NY.) My sister lives very close to Rollins and we just visited on a whim last summer. He really loved so much about it feels it would be a good fit.

My son’s stats & background:

4.0 unweighted GPA with AP, some college classes, CLEP Spanish & advanced classes

1450 SAT (750 math, 700 reading)

National Hispanic Merit Scholar (as per PSAT)

Level 10 gymnast

Honor Band (drums) w/ county and area state recognition

Good amount of volunteer work

Some leadership in gymnastics & band

USA Gymnastics Academic All American recognition

Nearly fluent in Spanish (spent 2 summers in Mexico doing gymnastics fully in Spanish)

Plans to study psychology (possible double major or minor in Spanish) with end goal of PhD in clinical psychology.

Has anyone received an invitation to the Alfond’s scholarship weekend? I’ve heard they notify end of December or by mid-January. Not holding his breath (he knows it’s very competitive) but my son is hoping he gets an invitation. Not sure if most invitations go to Florida residents or if it’s mixed. Good luck to all who applied! We have been impressed with the communication so far and all Rollins has to offer!

No, we have not heard. My daughter applied RD Nov 15, accepted Nov 29 with a Dean’s scholarship. She emailed the admissions counselor asking if Scholars weekend invites would go out in December. The response was “It is still possible to be considered for the Alfond Scholarship, and those invites will not be sent out until the new year.”
Let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same. Just would like to know either way!

1 Like

Thanks for that info. A Rollins parent told me the person that oversees the program is no longer involved, she got a promotion in a different department so maybe thats why its been delayed this year. The teachers and administration go back on Monday so hopefully we will hear soon, either way. Congrats on the Dean’s scholarship. Not sure if you qualify for Financial Aid, but they were SUPER generous with ours. He received the $32K scholarship plus $17K grant. To give perspective, most colleges are offering us about $3500 in grants for financial aid. Rollins is very expensive but this brings the cost within our target range even if he doesn’t get an invite to Alfond’s weekend. I believe anyone invited to Alfond’s weekend gets a bump in scholarship money but obviously that full ride would be amazing! Good luck! Nothing in the mail today so hopefully next week!

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! Do you know if they typically notify by mail or email? Granted, it could change this year if someone else is managing it. And I assume they would want to let people know asap so they could make travel plans.

This is what the website says so will likely be mailed but, yes, timing is tight for making travel plans and these busy kids will have to deal with conflicts I’m sure. My understanding (based on what a Rollins parent told me, although was unofficial info) is that date will be weekend of Feb. 18-19.

Late December

Alfond Scholarship finalists identified from applicant pool; Scholars Weekend invitations mailed to students invited to participate in the on-campus selection process

Late February

Scholars Weekend at Rollins College where finalists compete for Alfond Scholarships, increased Dean’s Scholarships, Cram Scholarships, and invitations to the Honors Degree Program

Mid March

Alfond Scholarship Recipients notified

May 1

National Candidate Reply Date; admission deposit required

2 Likes

Still nothing in the mail regarding the Alfond’s Scholar’s Weekend, so I decided to call Rollins and ask if invitations were sent out. The person I spoke with said yes and students selected would be able to see this information in their portal. My son checked the portal and…unfortunately, he was not selected to attend the scholars weekend. Hoping some of you received good news on this. They did give him an amazing merit/financial aid package so we are grateful for that.

2 Likes

Did anyone apply for the Rollins Bonner Leaders program? My son said the application is a bit lengthy but he plans to apply by the deadline (Feb.20.) Is anyone’s child going to attend an “Experience Rollins” event? We are going to aim for an April date but will depend on the flight cost. He might just end up doing one of the virtual options.