Rollins Scholars Weekend for future candidates

That’s a bummer. Some posts above mention getting an invite around Dec. 15th but maybe that’s came with their acceptance too. Thanks for the info.

NO sorry, I just checked on other posts from last year and it seems like international students get it along their letters earlier (today or tomorrow maybe). It is different for US candidates so forget what I said.

1 Like

Ok thank you for clarifying that. My son will keep the small glimmer of hope alive. Lol.

No, and I don’t think he would be in the running for that. But, historically it seemed that the Alfond invites came out awhile later.

Anybody received a decision?

1 Like

My D23 was accepted ED, Presidential Scholarship
Undecided major

She is black (I am white) and adopted. She did not really talk about this in her application but it’s clear from the demographics section. We also met her admissions counselor.

3.7 UW, 4.02 W
Test optional
2 APs - APUSH and Art
other classes mostly honors

ECs: volleyball and track, theater (dance captain), honors choir (section leader, outstanding student award), some standard community service activities

She has ADHD so the standardized tests were difficult for her. She’s definitely more into art/music than other subjects.

She fell in love with Rollins on the tour. I’m from Florida and I went to summer camp there (eons ago). We went to tour it when we were visiting family. We toured several other schools but this remained her first choice.

She liked the small school feel. She needs small classes and people who will know and support her. She’d get lost in a big lecture class. She also hates winter (we live in Mass.).

Rollins will be expensive but we are fortunate to be able to manage it. I want for her to be in a place she feels comfortable and can succeed in.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Rollins sounds perfect for her. My daughter (2019 high school graduate) is my artsy/music kids and had some test anxiety, so we were in the same boat as far as testing success. She chose Loyola New Orleans, a small school with a wonderful personal touch and is a music major. My son (who was accepted to Rollins this week) is my more academic kid and loved the rigor of Rollins. He plans to study psychology & Spanish with an end goal of PhD in clinical psych. He prefers a small to medium college and really liked the vibe of the campus when we visited Rollins. We were told it was kind of a “country club” vibe but everyone we spoke to, including the tour guide, seemed very down to earth and friendly, not “snooty” at all. We are from Buffalo, NY but my sister lives 10 minutes from Rollins so it would give me peace of mind knowing family is near. The price tag is a bit out of budget right now (even with the very generous $32K merit) but we haven’t seen the financial aid offer yet so that might make it more reasonable (we qualify for some financial aid but probably not a ton.) Best of luck to your daughter! Must feel great to be done!

1 Like

Just got rejected RD!

My son applied regular decision (submitted mid-November I think) and he just got his acceptance last night… so we didn’t have to wait until March, thank goodness!

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that. Are there other good schools on the table? I’m a big believer that students end up where they are meant to be. My daughter is a music major and was accepted to most of her schools but rejected from University of Miami. It stung but she is at Loyola New Orleans now and loves it!

Congrats! We were expecting to wait until March too. Always a pleasant surprise to get an earlier-than-expected acceptance!

I am an international student with a lot of need so shooting for top schools. Sad to not even be selected for Alfond when I have 4.0 and 1520 SAT

Wait so you got rejected from Rollins with a 1520 SAT & 4.0 GPA? Or are you just saying they told you that you can’t compete for the Alfond’s scholarship?

If you were not admitted to the school-wow-that’s crazy!

Have you considered Barry University in Miami? (you would automatically qualify for the STAMPS full-ride scholarship, just have to complete an application & essay.) Or Nova Southeastern in Fort Lauderdale? They are very generous with merit. I understand you want to focus on “meets need” schools but those might be worth a look.

Also look at:
North Park in Chicago
University of Alabama
Troy University (Alabama)

Good luck!

For those admitted, registration for admitted students day is open. Took us a bit to find it, and we are still waiting on an ED school, but wanted to get it on the calendar just in case. Should be helpful in making a final decision. It’s called “Experience Rollins” and there are several days in Feb, March and April.

2 Likes

any international invited to scholars’ weekend?

I’ve heard mixed messages that invitations go out in December vs. January. Even if my son isn’t invited, I would like to have candidates hear sooner than later so we can know whether or not he can attend a gymnastics meet the weekend of Feb. 17-19 (this is the tentative date for Rollins scholarship weekend according to a current student who received the recognition last year.)

I read that letters are mailed at the end of December.

1 Like

Thank you! Would be great to know before January :+1:

Still nothing in the mail regarding the Alfond’s Scholar’s Weekend, so I decided to call Rollins and ask if invitations were sent out. The person I spoke with said yes and students selected would be able to see this information in their portal. My son checked the portal and…unfortunately, he was not selected to attend the scholars weekend. Hoping some of you received good news on this. They did give him an amazing merit/financial aid package, so we are grateful for that.

Our S23 didn’t get the Alfond invitation either. We were a little surprised by that considering his stats (4.0 UW, 1500 SAT, valedictorian, National Recognition Scholar, leadership in ECs) plus his demonstrated interest in global citizenship and scholarship (plans to major in International Studies and study abroad, and minor in Public Policy or something similar). He seemed like the kind of person they were looking for. He already has a really good offer, though, so none of us are too upset about it. :slightly_smiling_face: