Ron Brown = 10,000 Applicants! LOLWUT?

<p>For those of you are not familiar with the Ron Brown Scholarship - it's pretty much the most prestigious scholarship out there for Black/African-American high school seniors. It awards 20 finalists $40,000 that they can use at the college of their choice. It's highly selective and more than 50% of the winners of the scholarship attend Ivy League schools (with the rest attending Ivy equivalents such as MIT, Stanford, and top LACs).</p>

<p>Ron Brown's selectivity primarily arises form the sheer number of applicants they have which, until this year, peaked at about 5,000. However, we just learned that applications jumped to approximately 10,000!</p>

<p>Let's discuss this!!!</p>

<p>(Also, I wanted to make this thread to bring awareness of the Ron Brown Scholarship to black students who will soon be seniors. As I said, the scholarship is great and if you fit the requirements -- basically, if you're black -- then you should apply!)</p>

<p>haha but i think about half of those applicants aren't at all qualified.</p>

<p>Where did you find the number for this year, eating food? Wow. They choose like 20 people in the long run. Can you say it with me: COMPETITIVE **and **SELECTIVE****.Everything is so competitive this year...I think I will cry! So much for those people. But good! The word and the news has gotten out...</p>

<p>"haha but i think about half of those applicants aren't at all qualified."
Don't be so sure it will be easy. People can be qualified in so many ways.</p>

<p>I applied way back in October. When did you all apply?</p>

<p>Never hear of it!This is what makes CC great!</p>

<p>mkay, so usually 60 to 80 applicants are named semifinalists, which gives a .6% to .8% chance of making it that far. From that group, 20 are selected as actual scholars (monetary award recipients). </p>

<p>Lol...not even a 1% acceptance rate...totally ridiculous!</p>

<p>I bet most of those ppl aren't qualified(sounds mean, but I want money)</p>

<p>I know a couple blacks who applied, but are unqualified, I didnt have the heart to tell them how competitive it is!</p>

<p>If I'm not mistaken, I think it's also based on financial need.</p>

<p>Last year 5600 apps, 700 were either val or top 1%.</p>

<p>Yeah.
Its alot of people but I am going to be positive</p>

<p>I just wanted to add on to my post #8 (I was on cell phone at time and couldn't type alot).</p>

<p>These were the #'s from last year. My D was one of the 63 semi-finalists out of more than 5600. In a letter she received, they had stated of the more than 5600 that over 700 were either val or in the top 1% of their class (D was neither). Like any scholarship competetion, there will be applicants of varying accomplishments, but I just wanted to post the "over 700" number to let everyone know just how competetive it is. </p>

<p>If you make it to the semi's, you will be getting a phone call from Mike Mallory, the program director. He will basically interview you about your goals, passions, and things that are important to you and how you will be an asset to the AA community as a whole. You might want to write down some things so when he calls you won't forget things and can put your best foot forward. Good luck all!</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up. Very nice to know</p>

<p>thanks, Ga2012Mom!</p>

<p>So is anyone else excited?</p>

<p>I never heard from anyone who has been through this. Is anyone out there now that either won this or came close?</p>

<p>I believe there is a CC’er who was a Ron Brown Scholar in 2010 (justadream92). He’s at Stanford right now. Try reaching out to him.</p>

<p>I was a semifinalist in 2010, but I’m almost certain I didn’t qualify for finalist because my essays (for finalist) were absolutely terrible and my financial need was not that great. Semifinalists do have access to the Ron Brown CAPtains program though, which provides info about internships and opportunities.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Ugh, that means it will be even worse next year for me.</p>

<p>So future applicants get a realistic view, I’m going to pass down information from the director of RBS.</p>

<p>According to Michael Mallory " approximately 5,000 AA hs seniors applied this year, 56 semifinalists will be considered, and up to 22 finalists will be chosen"</p>

<p>Hopefully this helps, and good luck</p>

<p>And what’s the timing on this? Has anyone heard back?</p>

<p>We have not heard a word but I am not expecting the Ron Brown because of income. We are long shots for it because of income. I think you may have the same problem as we do.</p>