Ron Brown CAPtains

<p>Did anyone else get invited to this? This is what the e-mail said: </p>

<p>"Your application to the Ron Brown Scholar Program was among the best we received among a pool of over 6,200 applicants. Though we were unable to offer you a scholarship, I am inviting you and a small percentage of the top applicants of 2011 to become part of the RBS network through participation in a new initiative: The Ron Brown CAPtains.</p>

<p>The Ron Brown CAPtains Program will link you and other 18-22 year olds to many of the opportunities you would have enjoyed as a Ron Brown Scholar. Our primary goal is to ensure we provide the right platform and network for outstanding African American students to achieve their full leadership potential. To achieve this goal we felt it was extremely important to share our connections and resources. The Ron Brown network has proven to be powerful and could provide you with privileged access to industry leaders, career opportunities/guidance and graduate scholarships."</p>

<p>Do you think it's worth it? I think I might accept it.</p>

<p>yeah, i got invited to this as well. i accepted the offer. i think it’s awesome because although we don’t receive scholarships we’re still a part of the program (networking, career opportunities, mentorship, etc.) and that’s what counts.</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m pretty excited about it as well.</p>

<p>I agree 100% with journey2success, and I accepted the offer as well. I really look forward to being “linked” to all of those who accept and am interested to see exactly how it works.</p>

<p>I said yes to the offer, too. Never know when it’ll come in handy.</p>

<p>I said YES instantly. I was still a little upset about not recieving the scholarship, but in the end, the actual program really is the source that allows you the future opportunities not the money (necessarily). So you should definitely take full advantage of the offer.</p>

<p>I am about to reply back.</p>

<p>SO i got invited to, but i was considering replying or not… in the mean time my email got hacked or something and i lost everything… including my invitation to the CAPtains program, is there like a number or something i can call to get in touch with them?</p>

<p>You can send an e-mail to <a href="mailto:info@ronbrown.org">info@ronbrown.org</a>. The person you want to get in contact with is Michael Mallory.</p>

<p>Has anyone heard anything back after replying?</p>

<p>Yes, I received an email late June congratulating me as I had been accepted as a Ron Brown CAPtain!</p>

<p>Any current Ron brown captains have any info on the benefit of this program?</p>

<p>^I want to know about this too! Just got invited and although I’m obviously going to accept, I still want to know more.</p>

<p>Bump</p>

<p>What is this?</p>

<p>Ron Brown CAPtains is basically an email list where you receive information about selected internship opportunities. It’s a great way to stay in touch with some people who were not Ron Brown finalists but who made it to the Semifinalist level, as well as a way to keep abreast of opportunities (and often, Michael Mallory knows the people offering the internships personally and can give you an edge).</p>

<p>Is this worth it??? Anyone do anything with this???</p>

Just got the email as a 2015 applicant and I accepted it. Anyone else here in 2015? It says they’ll respond by June 15th

@michaelyitayew19 I’m a 2015 applicant! But I haven’t accepted yet. Do they not automatically add you the program?

@pr0cr4st1n4t0r you had to send them an email with some basic information, it should’ve said in the late April email

1 Like

@michaelyitayew19 I was also offered the opportunity and accepted as well. How do you know the date is June 15th? I am assuming everyone receives the opportunity that was offered.