Ron brown scholarship

<p>Is anyone going to apply for the Ron Brown scholarship when it becomes available?</p>

<p>I will! I have started filling out the application, i just need my recommendations and forms…</p>

<p>The form is already out??</p>

<p>Well idk but i looked it up on google i think and found it and printed it out</p>

<p>Started the application. Finishing the rest as soon as school starts and I have a solid college essay. Who’s applying early? </p>

<p>Honestly, my merit is too mediocre for me to be considered, but I’m applying early for my application to be forwarded. Someone will want me! Haha. :)</p>

<p>Family income is a hurdle. I don’t know what their cut offs are but my D didn’t get any money most likely because we are middle class.</p>

<p>Just a note: You need to have some high stats. Only ten people I believe are selected to be a Ron Brown Scholar. It’s VERY COMPETITIVE.</p>

<p>^ This is true, but I think anyone who’s thinking of applying definitely should. There are only two essays, one of which is just you forwarding one of your existing college app essays on to them. This year, 19 people were selected. The number varies from year to year.</p>

<p>What’s the deadline?</p>

<p>There are two deadlines. If you apply before November 1st, your application gets forwarded to schools and other scholarship programs. But after that, you are only qualified for the Ron Brown and that deadline is January 9th.</p>

<p>Based on what Madaboutx posted, wondering if it is worth applying for middle class kids. Even for URMs, being middle class seems to really limit what you help you get…a lot!</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>Good luck guys! Submitted my app a few days ago. Did anyone get the confirmation letter yet?</p>

<p>My D got into the CAPtains program. No money though. I will say that it is worth it even if you are middle class. She’s had opportunities come her way through the program that are pretty big deals. I say go for it. The benefits go beyond $$$.</p>

<p>Madaboutx-
Could you give some specifics on the CAPtains program? I searched but didn’t come up with much other than they basically put you on email list and you get a newsletter? Thank you.</p>

<p>I think that may be a part of it. My D is away from and the actual participant in the program so I don’t know in detail. What I can say is that she is networking with others through the program-with other outstanding black students and with others in a position to offer opportunities. I’ve learned about business and political internships, travel abroad opportunities and other programs that they are making available on a competitive basis. But these are opportunities like working at the White House or Congress that make many people ask, “How’d they get into that?” </p>

<p>So, compared to cost of participation, the benefits are greater. And before I get asked, the cost is zero dollars and years of academic success.</p>

<p>hsgrad and Madaboutx- My D was a real contender for the scholarship but when it came to our assets we were basically rejected. They want you to list all your assets and give bank info and I was just very uncomfortable to provide that information. Its unfortunate if your parents are solid middle class folk. You truly have to be an “URM”.</p>

<p>madaboutx- Thank you!</p>

<p>did anyone hear back yet?</p>

<p>I was expecting some posts about people hearing back on cc as well… It seems like in past years people heard back the first week of February. :O</p>

<p>Hopefully we will start hearing soon.</p>