Room Question

<p>I will be an incoming freshman and got a room in Ridgecrest South - South Tower. I already have 2 roommates. But I feel like the school is hiding the last room. It’s not showing up as an empty room for anyone to pick even though we still need one more roommate. What is going on?</p>

<p>They are probably holding some rooms back for last minute NMF’s and the like.</p>

<p>The housing department has placed an administrative block on the 4th room. The room will likely be held for students returning from a study abroad the spring semester or maybe another reason. Though I doubt they’d hold non-honors rooms for NMF’s, that’s also possible. It could turn out that by spring semester you still wouldn’t have a 4th roommate and you could have a friend move into the 4th bedroom after spring semester starts and the block is lifted, ie February. </p>

<p>There is no extra charge for having the 4th blocked. I had the same situation my freshman year and when February came around, the room was still unassigned. One of my suitemates’ good friends was allowed to move into the 4th room and was a great addition to the suite. </p>

<p>Contractually, it is much the same as living in a double room at any university when your roommate moves out, except in this case you can’t have a friend move in immediately. Housing reserves the right to assign any student of the same gender to the blocked room without the further approval of the potential suitemates since you all agreed to the policy when you signed your housing contract.</p>

<p>Best of luck this upcoming year. Have fun and be excited to meet your new suitemate if and when they arrive. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Every school must keep X% of rooms empty for emergencies, but I doubt that’s what’s going on here, because I think they keep a few entire suites empty. </p>

<p>That said, they may keep a few rooms empty in case they have to move a student because of roommate conflicts.</p>

<p>It may also be “reserved” for the person who is going to be the RA for your floor.</p>

<p>Sea_Tide: are you saying that if a student does a study abroad in the fall, that they block their room for them for the whole year? D was wondering about that as she is pondering doing a study abroad in the Fall of her junior year. That wasn’t in her original plan (she certainly doesn’t want to miss a football season) but her little sis is graduating in the Spring and she doesn’t want to be out of the country for all the important end of year events.</p>

<p>Housing reserves some rooms for students returning from a study abroad, but AFAIK does not guarantee a specific room. UA as a whole is very accommodating of students who choose to do a study abroad by allowing students to cancel half of their year long housing and dining contracts, along with making sure that they don’t get shut out of on-campus housing. I too don’t want to miss a football season, but next spring I’ll be applying for internships and have other things to do, all of which are a lot easier to do when I’m on campus.</p>

<p>As for reserving housing rooms for the RA, that should have already been done and the space would be displayed as being occupied by “Resident Advisor” so that students know in advance if they will be living with an RA.</p>

<p>another question: if you are NMF, how or when do you get one of these reserved rooms? Evey time i go to the housing selection website, nothing is avaliable.</p>

<p>Burger…</p>

<p>Have you already had your sign up time?</p>

<p>You need to contact Housing…talk or email someone like…</p>

<p>Alicia Brown
Phone: 205.348.5990 Fax: 205.348.7135 Email: <a href=“mailto:abrowne@sa.ua.edu”>abrowne@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Judy Carter</p>

<p>Phone: 205.348.8101 Fax: 205.348.7135 Email: <a href=“mailto:jcarter@sa.ua.edu”>jcarter@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Tonya Nail
Phone: 205.348.8084 Fax: 205.348.7135 Email: <a href=“mailto:tnail@sa.ua.edu”>tnail@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Tell them that you’re a NMF that has been accepted to Bama and want honors housing. Ask if a bedroom has been set aside for you and how do you get it.</p>

<p>So there is a possibility I could be living with the RA?! I want to cry…</p>

<p>Just saw this on UA-Undergrad Admissions’ FB page:</p>

<p>The University of Alabama - Undergraduate Admissions
Freshman room selection will not be available tonight (Thursday, April 28). Further updates on housing-related issues for incoming freshmen will be available at [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/) as more information becomes available. There will be no disadvantage to students because room selection will be rescheduled.
6 minutes ago · Like ·</p>