Room selection DAY

<p>it would be nice if they had floor plans like cruise ships do- room numbers and floors and the common areas!</p>

<p>MikeW - tried to send you a PM but yours are full. Wondering if you can point out where the room is on Google maps or perhaps on a photo I have of the outside of the building.</p>

<p>i cleared some out and also emailed you.</p>

<p>locate rcs. the north side is the one at the top. see the basketball court? the room is roughly even with the basketball court (large red/brown rectangle) on the wing of the building closest to marrs spring road.</p>

<p>My daughter and roommates are in room 106- hello neighbors!!!</p>

<p>Sniner - Hello! Are they freshman? What are their majors?</p>

<p>Yes, all freshmen with Presidential Scholarships. My daughter is engineering. Two Biology/pre-med and one English. Colorado, Kentucky, Texas and Mississippi respectively.</p>

<p>Ummm… how are their manicures? ;-)</p>

<p>Forgive me, I digress. They sound like a relatively diverse group, geographically speaking. I bet they ALL have Big Al Pillow Pets, sigh. What engineering for D? Is she undecided? Our nerd herd has 2 ME’s, 1 ChemE and 1 EE. My brain bleeds just thinking about it.</p>

<p>Can’t speak for all, but my daughter got her Big Al this Christmas. :slight_smile: She is BioChem E</p>

<p>my daughter is ChemE (chemical and biological engineering)</p>

<p>Hope to catch a glimpse of her during move-in. They’ll just be across and down a little, right? DS is <em>excellent</em> fixing computers - let her know. He’s always flattered to be asked.</p>

<p>Hey NRDMOM, do you think he’d make a house call to Ridgecrest West?</p>

<p>Yep. He’s actually outsmarted the genius bar. My friends and his teachers hire/use him all the time. Have her mention ‘cookies’, and he’s all hers.</p>

<p>Does he like burnt cookies? She got all her cooking skills from me, unfortunately.</p>

<p>Hey Nrdmom, D and her friends will be on the 4th floor and none of them are comfortable with their computers. Sounds like your son may have the beginnings of a nice side business or some free laundry assistance!</p>

<p>Does anyone know if it’s true that housing “reserves” a certain number of suites for each room selection session? People who had the 8pm selection time said that they didn’t see ANY empty suites in RCS north tower.</p>

<p>Sigh, I am disappointed all these pretty smart girls are over in Ridgecrest, not in Riverside. Our engineering boys need some pretty girls over there, too!</p>

<p>The Room 404 comment just floored me. Love those nerds!</p>

<p>BTW, staff rooms probably means that’s where the RA is. My son’s suite is now located next to a Staff Room, as his neighbors were kicked out and the RA put in there for next year, with three regular kids sharing the suite with him. The former RA room will now be a single room for a single student to occupy. At least, that’s my understanding. We’ll see what actually happens next year. Only know that our neighbors for the last two years, great friends and study partners, are now in a suite on the other side of the elevators. At least they were able to stay on the same floor. I guess they can study together over laundry.</p>

<p>Tommy-
I don’t know what the official housing word is on reserved suites for future room selection times. What I do know is my DD had the 8pm selection time. She was on it at the very second it came on and it showed no availability for RCS south tower, not sure if there was any luck for north. She luckily checked RCE and there was one suite with two rooms left. She quickly grabbed that for her and her roomie and is very happy. She kept checking both RCS and RCE and about an hour after her selection time one suite did pop up at RCS with two rooms open, however, she is happy and kept her spot. There was plenty available in Lakeside and even more at PV. Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>In hopes of helping someone next year:</p>

<p>We were logged on the site at 6:00:01. At that time in RCS-N there were about 20 rooms open for 4 slots. By the time we were done entering the info (no more than 1-2 mins), there 8 - 10 rooms open with 4 slots. By 6:05 or so, there were no rooms open with 4 slots. Some rooms (4 - 6) with 4 slots did open by about 6:15 and these came and went until it got close to 7:00. At 7:00, there were 4 rooms opens with 4 slots. Those were gone by 7:03 or so and I never did one pop up again after then.</p>

<p>When I looked last night right before room selection closed, there were 5 rooms in RCS-N that had 3 empty slots. One has an RA or staff in it, one has a reserved slot, and 3 have 1 person in there. </p>

<p>This info is for the MALE rooms. </p>

<p>Tommy - from what I saw, there were no rooms saved for later time slots.</p>

<p>Also, an email is sent immediately once a room is reserved. If you are not the one doing the input and are wondering what’s going on with room selection, the student should watch their crimson email account for that notification.</p>

<p>I don’t know if they’re “reserving” rooms for future selection times, but my D had the 8 pm selection time yesterday. She’d already been pulled into a suite by a roommate, but I logged on to check what was still out there for a friend’s D who doesn’t pick until the 19th. I checked at exactly 8:00, and there were no suites with 4 rooms available in either Ridgecrest South or Ridgecrest West. There were a number of suites with 4 rooms in Lakeside West and Riverside West (I think 17 and 15, respectively); I didn’t check the rest of Riverside. So it certainly didn’t look to me like they’d added any “whole” suites in the Ridgecrests for the 8:00 selection time.</p>