Room Selection Open Now

<p>Good morning:
Room selection for current students is NOW open.
If you are selecting the same room in the same suite and building then you can select now.
Room selection opened at 8am.</p>

<p>Recontracting Room Selection Schedule
In order to be eligible for the online room selection process, you must complete the initial housing application by February 1, 2011, and then sign your contract and pay the $250.00 housing deposit by the stipulated deadline (you will receive notification regarding this deadline from Housing and Residential Communities). All students who complete the housing application by February 1 will be notified by e-mail regarding their ability to complete the recontracting process (sign the housing contract and pay the deposit). However, If all students who have completed a housing application cannot be accommodated, students who cannot immediately submit their contract and deposit will be placed on a waiting list for housing. Waitlisted students will be notified if they are removed from the waiting list and can continue the recontracting process. All students will be contacted through their crimson e-mail regarding recontracting.</p>

<p>Same Room Selection
8:00 a.m. February 24-8:00 a.m. February 25</p>

<p>Thanks for the reminder!</p>

<p>You are welcome!!</p>

<p>Thanks for keeping us on our toes! Dealing with an ill mom, and glad to have my CC moms reminding me of these important deadlines.</p>

<p>My current son at Bama was able to switch his room selection from Riverside East to Ridgecrest South - North Tower this morning. Since my youngest son will join him this fall, they wanted to find an Honors suite in the new dorm. He also pulled in a current team mate leaving one bed available for a new suite mate. I just checked to see how many “Honors” beds were available in North Tower (floors 1-3). I only counted 54 beds still available at 9:00 AM central time. </p>

<p>It appears that most of the Honors students in the North Tower must have decided to stay put.</p>

<p>Was he able to pull in your fr son already?</p>

<p>Yes, I’m very glad my son was on top of the time schedule. The Room selection (current student that has already selected the same room as this year, wishing to change to different building) opened at 8:00 AM central time. I was kind of surprised that there were only 54 beds available in the newest Honors rooms in Ridgecrest South - North Tower.</p>

<p>^^^^^Momof3: I think that there were so few remaining beds because students who decided to stay on feb 24th. could pull in heir own roommates on Feb 25th.</p>

<p>momof3boyz - if your son wanted to switch buildings - why did he already pick his room from this year. that kind of defeats the purpose of the different pick dates, doesn’t it? </p>

<p>i think if whe wanted to switch rooms or buildings he was supposed to not choose a room until the appointed day. : /</p>

<p>MikewW: I don’t think that momof3’s son chose his original room and then switched today. I think he just chose to change his new residence hall today to Ridgecrest South -North Tower from where he currently lives (Riverside East).</p>

<p>i read it a few times</p>

<p>“current student that has already selected the same room as this year, wishing to change to different building”</p>

<p>and it seemed to me that he had already selected the same room and now wants to switch buildings. </p>

<p>maybe i read it wrong.</p>

<p>MikeW: Yes it reads like that but according to housing, I think you just had to wait until today to switch:
Different Building or Room Selection
All students who have completed the recontracting process will be able to log in to the room selection process initially on the dates and times selected below to choose a different room or building, based on your current UA classification status. Please note, HRC determines your classification, e.g., current junior, according to what the University Registrar determines your status to be. Once you are initially able to log in to room selection, you can continue to move around during the days that room selection is open until it ends on March 8th. </p>

<p>8:00 a.m. March 1 - 8:00 a.m. March 8
Rising seniors (current juniors) - Different room selection </p>

<p>8:00 a.m. March 2 - 8:00 a.m. March 8
Rising juniors (current sophomores) - Different room selection</p>

<p>8:00 a.m. March 3 - 8:00 a.m. March 8
Rising sophomores (current freshmen) - Different room selection</p>

<p>8:00 a.m. March 5 - 8:00 a.m. March 8
Graduate students - Different room selection </p>

<p>Maybe that is what momof3 meant.</p>

<p>maybe so…</p>

<p>It is possible to select ones current room and then switch to another room and/or building when those open up for selection. Housing sometimes decides to switch suites from all-male to all-female or vice-versa, but waits to see if the current residents are staying in the same suite and if they are, they will switch an empty suite instead. Sometimes students don’t have concrete plans of who the want to room with or plans change and they need to switch rooms.</p>

<p>DS orginally signed up for his same suite/room, three out of the four did so that left one room empty. Then on day 2, the day he would be allowed to pull someone in, he logged into his selection page and using his own proxy code pulled himself in to the empty room (which he preferred for the door/closet layout.) Go figure - it worked!
I think, though it may mess things up for people looking for empty rooms, it makes total sense to reserve your original room on Day 1, just in case on the change room day there are no empty rooms available. Better than risking no room at all.</p>

<p>^^^^AL34: good reference point for next year. Better to be in the same room then no room.</p>

<p>My son followed the instructions on each of the emails he received from Housing that specified he had to select his current room even if he planned to move around or pull others in when permitted. He was fortunate that all three of his suite mates were not returning to the dorm. On the second day of housing selection, he received a new email informing him to pull others into his suite if rooms were available. He pulled in his teammate (rising Sophomore) and brother rising Freshman. Since my son is a rising Senior, he was permitted to move to another building and bring the other two suite mates he pulled into his current suite on day two. </p>

<p>I signed into my rising Freshman’s myBama account to view his Housing Assignment. His Housing Assignment is confirmed, listing his room and the two suite mates (brother and teammate). I can relax now. : )</p>

<p>^ great to hear it all worked out :)</p>

<p>Wow, two brothers on campus in the same suite, that sounds like a good plan.</p>

<p>I am very blessed and proud to say there is no sibling rivalry. They are looking forward to rooming together.</p>